2 Month old DS with possible milk protein allergy and silent reflux?? Help!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay let me start from the beginning. I had an 8lb. 1 oz baby. In the hospital he would barely feed and wouldn't latch on. Nurses said he should be eating much more since he was a big boy and one even tried to make him eat a full 27 ml, she kept messing with him until he finally threw up everywhere and it was brown tinged. From then on I wouldn't let them feed him, because I didn't want to traumatize him. When I would feed him, he'd eat very little then gag, cough or act like his throat hurt. This went on until we left hospital and for several weeks. At newborn appt I expressed concerns, doc said he was gaining weight he was fine. At three weeks he began getting mucusy stools, one diaper was blood tinged and all he did was cry...day and night. So I switched to alimentum. Doc said possible milk allergy and acid reflux was what he had, put him on Zantac. Diarrhea went away but crying and pain only seemed to get worse. He grunts in his sleep, will rub his face until it's raw if your holding him as if it itches, cries inconsolably often during day and every night for at least 2 hours straight. Always fussy. Will ride in the car without crying for long periods of time. After putting him on alimentum his appetite picked up. But now nearly 5-6 weeks later he's slowly went back to not eating. Still cries all the time. Arches his back and straightens his body while crying. Never brings his knees to stomach but acts as if he's trying to kick away if you are holding him. No spit up but will gag, cough something up, swallow it back down and make an awful face, sometimes even cry after doing this. He acts like hes starving but will only take between half an ounce and at most 2 ounces at a time. Sleeps very listlessly and always rustles around and grunts unless swaddled. But now he's getting strong enough to get out of swaddle or if he can't he cries out in frustration because he can't move. Any advice on whats wrong?? We go to Pediatric GI on the 11th. But that seems so long, since we've dealt with it for so long to wait with him so uncomfortable and in pain. Help!!!!

He also has the stinkiest gas imaginable. When he passes gas we always think he's pooed. But it's just gas. He's already gotten a bad bad cold when he was 6 weeks old. Croupy cough, congestion, excessive excessive mucus and snot in nose. Cough has never went away.
#2 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 PM

He defiantly sounds like he has a milk allergy. Are you still pumping at all?

Outside of breastfeeding with an elimination diet for you I'm not sure what advice to give you. Its outside of my experience...

((Hug)) I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry and your not alone. DS has dairy and soy intolerance and its terrible to see your baby in pain (he also gained weight well)

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#3 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 PM

If it's soy too (which seems common) then he may not be tolerating the Alimentum. Are you nursing at all, and if so, did you take milk out of your diet as well? Have they tried switching him to a more elemental formula?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Not nursing or pumping anymore! Wasn't told you could do an elimination diet by pediatric, only found out by my own research after it was too late. I had already dried up. I could relactate but they say elim diet is hard and a good elemental formula tends to be better.
#5 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM

The elimination diet is really not that hard once you get the hang of it...At least I don't think so and I had to cut out two main groups as I'm gluten free already! Also, I felt so much healthier on it myself. 

I would look into re lactating if you can. A good formula is not as good as breast milk can be for your baby, especially if he has allergies.

Who is they? I've found most docs don't know anything about nutrition or breastfeeding, don't feel bad about not knowing about elimination diet, my ped didn't tell me either, but instead wanted to do more meds and invasive testing which raised red flags with me and I did the research on my own.

I am sorry your going through this. I really hope you find support here and hopefully a good lactation consultant who can help and actually knows what they are talking about (as opposed to doc)

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#6 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help and support! And yes, they=pediatrician. I'm thinking I need to find a new one who'll listen to me.....and meet back up with the lactation consultants from the hospital.
#7 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknak1029 View Post

Not nursing or pumping anymore! Wasn't told you could do an elimination diet by pediatric, only found out by my own research after it was too late. I had already dried up. I could relactate but they say elim diet is hard and a good elemental formula tends to be better.

Yikes!  I am sorry your pediatrician feels this way!  My son has a milk allergy and I didn't have dairy for over a year. It was definitely hard but definitely worth it.  I know how hard it is to see your child uncomfortable and in pain.  hug2.gif

#8 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 02:39 PM

I would also go the relactating route.  I don't know how old your baby is, but it's possible to relactate months after giving birth.  It would be the easiest, cheapest, and healthiest thing to do.  Then an elimination diet is a pain, but well worth it because you'll have a WHOLE new baby.  I've been exactly where you are, and it was absolutely a milk allergy.  My son was exactly the same way - he even used to have bloody scratches all over his face from rubbing and scratching it so much. :(

If relactating is not an option, there is a formula called Neocate that is made for babies with allergies (I think almost all other formulas have milk/soy in them).  It costs about 5x as much as regular formula though.  A friend of mine had a son on it and she said they spent $700/mo on it!  If you qualify for WIC, they will cover about half of it though.

Good luck, I know how stressful it is to see your baby like that!

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#9 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMom23 View Post

If relactating is not an option, there is a formula called Neocate that is made for babies with allergies (I think almost all other formulas have milk/soy in them).  It costs about 5x as much as regular formula though.  A friend of mine had a son on it and she said they spent $700/mo on it!  If you qualify for WIC, they will cover about half of it though.

Good luck, I know how stressful it is to see your baby like that!

My DS was on Neocate for 5 months. It was about $700/month but that was 10 years ago. I'm sure it's gone up in price!! And our insurance covered all of it because it was considered a medical necessity. My DS was milk and soy intolerant and wouldn't tolerate any formula at 8 months when he abruptly weaned and wouldn't take any of my milk at the breast or pumped in any form. I tried for weeks while waiting for the GI appointment. My pediatrician was useless with eliminating foods (switched right after that). I like the lactation consultant idea as well. You can probably rent a medical grade pump to help you get started. My DS was one of those who was driven to sleep many times because that was his most comfortable position.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Yes, switch to Neocate (where I am that requires a prescription, although I know that WIC can give it out and if you qualify for WIC, you should see about getting it through them). 

It will take awhile for you to relactate - and it will require a very supportive LC.  Meanwhile, put your babe on Neocate. 

With dd1, I had to use Neocate for awhile - long story - my supply had dropped to 10 oz/day and we rebuilt my supply while giving Neocate.  Dd1 could not tolerate the regular hypo formulas.  But when we got her back to 100% my milk (elimination diet - we eliminated dairy/soy/egg/wheat/legumes/peanuts/treenuts/fish/shellfish, she had multiple severe food allergies as an infant) - she gained better and did better.

It sounds like your Ped is skeptical of things - if he thinks the Alimentum is fine, ask for a stool test.  They can test very quickly to see whether there is blood in your baby's stool, which is a classic clinical sign of food allergy.  And if he's the one who told you that elimination diets aren't as effective as elemental or hypo formulas, it's because he doesn't trust you as a mother (and likely any other mother either) to follow the diet carefully.  The research shows that full elimination with breastfeeding is best, if it is at all possible for the mother. 

Good luck with relactating!  What helped me, while rebuilding my supply, was

A good LC - follow her advice! 

A supportive family (husband and my family) and coworkers (tell them what you need them to do!)

Hospital grade pump

Mother's Milk Tea

Oatmeal, oatmeal, oatmeal

Getting more sleep

And, believe it or not, I found that my supply seemed better after dh and I had been intimate.  blush.gif  So -- maybe something to try? 

Not all who wander are lost.
#11 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 AM

I'm so sorry you're going through this.....it's so hard seeing our babies so miserable and feeling helpless about it! It does sound like allergies or intolerances to me for sure. Especially with the foul gas and blood in his stools. My DS had bad reflux as an infant too, and it was all triggered by his food sensativities. For him, Neocate was awful because he was sensative to corn and the oils they use in it for fat. I pumped for him for 15 months because he was never able to latch on and I had to do an extreme elimination diet. It was hard, but totally worth it!! He couldn't tolerate any of the elemental formulas.

I think everyone else has addressed the relactating issue. You can also take a medication called Domperidone (Motilium) to help get your milk supply back quickly. You can order it online (PM me for the web address) but it takes a couple of weeks to get it and it's not cheap. For the reflux, not all babies respond to zantac well and most pediatricians way under dose them to begin with. Check out www.infantreflux.org for lots of valuable info regarding reflux and meds so that you can go into your GI appointment ready with questions! One biggie to watch out for is prevacid....the solutabs have a milk derivitive in it. So, if you suspect a milk protein allergy, stay away from that one! Have they done an upper GI on you baby yet? If not, the GI will likely want to do one to rule out any type of anatomical issue causing the reflux such as pyloric stenosis. They don't have to be sedated for it at all, they drink barium and they do a fluroscope (live time x-ray type thing) to watch everything go down. If he's gagging while eating, there could potentially be some swallowing difficulties too which is dangerous and could cause aspiration.....please make sure you mention that to your GI dr. as well. If the gagging is only occuring after eating, it's likely from the reflux.

Babies with uncontrolled reflux often refuse to eat because they associate it with pain. The milk temporarily soothes the esophageous, but then if it triggers their reflux they are in pain afterwards. In the meantime, incline your baby's bed at an angle to help keep everything down while he is sleeping. Feed him in an upright position, and try to keep him upright for atleast 30 minutes after eating. I found a sling to be extremely helpful for my son both with the reflux and comfort....I was able to put him in it in an upright position (like a kangaroo hold) and it kept him upright and without bunching up his tummy. Plus, being in close contact with me helped comfort him AND I could get things done!! Feeding small meals more frequently is better than feeding large meals spread out more so that the stomach is not so full. We gave alot of mylicon drops for gas...gave it with every feeding. Gripe water helps some babies too and is worth a try!

Hoping and praying your little one gets some relief soon!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page