Jumping January 2011 Chat Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 377 Old 01-23-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Woops.  Accidentally posted a link to a biased article and now different spheres of my life are colliding on facebook.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 377 Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post

Woops.  Accidentally posted a link to a biased article and now different spheres of my life are colliding on facebook.

biglaugh.gifI understand all. too. well.

I try very hard not to post articles with a "slant" but every article these days seems to have one so it's rather difficult. Everything in moderation (and with a grain of salt).

I promise to contain myself. shy.gifwinky.gif

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#363 of 377 Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM

So....I came by to say "hi" and am shocked no one has been on the threat in almost 24 hours...are you all ok????  Maybe I should scroll back and find out what's going on.  But there are 19 pages.  LOL.

Things are going ok here, made tomato-free  marinara and it was a big hit, but found a patch of eczema on DS tonight.  It was probably the sauce, but he a had several servings over the past few days (I think you might remember him having  a whole jar of tomato sauce in a day before going sals-free, lol) so I'm going to chalk it up to volume.  It is nice to have pasta again thought, and pizza with sauce, I have to admit.  It's made with beets and pumpkin and carrot, which are all moderate, so I'm not sure if it's that or I suppose the herbs...who knows.  We'll just have to have less next time, I suppose.

That said, I'm wondering if I need to cut way back again and look closer at symptoms.  We notice symptoms more now when there is a slip-up than we ever did before changing diet.  He had ketchup the other day just to see, and in addition to getting welts within 30 minutes he got scary angry.  Evil eye and all.  It was freaky.

As for DD2....is there anything that could be causing night terrors?  She wakes up every few 2-3 hours like clockwork, and usually she is talking in her sleep or yelling for a couple minutes.  Why? DS did this a lot.  Is it just a stage (a long one) or is she missing some key nutrient?  Or is it a reaction?  I have been trying to nightwean her.  For 2 weeks she did well (well until 4am, we can't get past 4am) but she never stopped waking up nor did her waking frequency change.  And she always, always wakes up "out of it".  Any ideas?

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#364 of 377 Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

everybody's on FB :)

Crazy reaction to ketchup- wowsers!

For sleep, I don't know if this specifically applies to you (I'm not that educated about any of this), but I've recently learned that b12 and vit D both can help with sleep, and with irregular sleep cycles (which ds2 definitely has). Also, mag helps. From what I understand, all these supps can help with sleep even if there isn't a deficiency to begin with.

or it could be a reaction, of course.

I recently took ds2 off a few supps I started in the last month, and started him on b12, and his sleep got dramatically better over 4 days (went from waking nearly every hour, not sleeping more than 8 hours and waking up for 2 hours at 4am, to waking up 2-3 times a night and staying in bed for 10ish hours, which meant a normal wakeup time) . Then things changed, and two nights ago was hideous, and last night wasn't great. The biggest possibilities I can think are that I might have missed b12 one day, and we ate some foods that I had been avoiding.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#365 of 377 Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 AM

FB?  Really?  How is this working on there?

We do epsom salts, and I just started b12 again.  It helped, DS, maybe it will help her too. *sigh*  I really just want to sleep.  That shouldn't be too much to ask with an almost 3yo lol!  She loves to sleep and will be in bed 12-13 hours no problem, she just wakes constantly.  I really thought that nightweaning would help her, but it hasn't yet.  Even though she goes back to sleep fairly easily without it, she is still waking. :(

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#366 of 377 Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Can you get hives from sals? Because that sounds more like an IgE allergy to me.

For my DS, night terrors were food intolerance related (neither of the girls ever got them).

Yes, over on FB most of the time. But I still come over here to see what's up!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#367 of 377 Old 01-26-2011, 06:20 AM

Geez, I get busy for a few weeks and everyone leaves! lol

He gets more like instant eczema that pops up like hives...like hivezema.biggrinbounce.gif  It goes away faster than what I would consider eczema to do.  It happens whenever he eats too many sals now....the 4 cans of orange soda he sneaked one day (DH actually had then to shoot with bb guns, not drink lol), gummy worms, tomato sauce, ketchup, sushi (still not sure if it's the cucumber and avo or the soy sauce).  They pop up all over, and epsom salts help make it go away.  I have thought about visiting an allergist again for more testing.  He had a RAST a year ago and it only showed mild IgE to sesame, but it didn't test all that many foods.

#368 of 377 Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

Can you get hives from sals? Because that sounds more like an IgE allergy to me.

For my DS, night terrors were food intolerance related (neither of the girls ever got them).

Yes, over on FB most of the time. But I still come over here to see what's up!

yup, you can get hives from sals, I'm pretty sure.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#369 of 377 Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Are "pimples" on a toddler a reaction? He had one above his lip yesterday evening (it looked like a whitehead) that was gone by morning, and one under his nose this evening. He had a few bumps (like pimples, but no white on them) on his lower ab/diaper area. This evening, along with the "pimple," the area between the indent of his top lip and his nose was red. The last time that happened was the same timing- after his bath, which was after dinner. Dinner last time was carry out pizza (bag). Dinner this time was chicken wraps. The only similarities between the two, that we don't eat regularly, are possibly rosemary and...I guess that's it. It could be the bath, but the only soap he uses is Earth Mama Angel Baby, and we've had it for a month and not noticed any other reactions.

He also has a very obvious red ring around his bum, and again I don't know what it could be. Tomato? But we eat tomato a lot (though I've been trying to lay off). Holy frickin moly, this is getting old. Just when I feel like I'm so close to figuring it out, something new pops up to mess me all up again.

ot- is anyone else having fb trouble?

#370 of 377 Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 PM

Ds got the red ring last week. I think I did it to him by feeding him too many carbs, and it's yeast related. Have you looked at macronutrient patterns or such to track the pimples, besides just foods?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#371 of 377 Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM

oooh, red ring and yeast- def. possibility. I'm having yeast issues, myself. hmmm...

#372 of 377 Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post

Are "pimples" on a toddler a reaction? He had one above his lip yesterday evening (it looked like a whitehead) that was gone by morning, and one under his nose this evening. He had a few bumps (like pimples, but no white on them) on his lower ab/diaper area. This evening, along with the "pimple," the area between the indent of his top lip and his nose was red. The last time that happened was the same timing- after his bath, which was after dinner. Dinner last time was carry out pizza (bag). Dinner this time was chicken wraps. The only similarities between the two, that we don't eat regularly, are possibly rosemary and...I guess that's it. It could be the bath, but the only soap he uses is Earth Mama Angel Baby, and we've had it for a month and not noticed any other reactions.

He also has a very obvious red ring around his bum, and again I don't know what it could be. Tomato? But we eat tomato a lot (though I've been trying to lay off). Holy frickin moly, this is getting old. Just when I feel like I'm so close to figuring it out, something new pops up to mess me all up again.

ot- is anyone else having fb trouble?

When my dd2 got the pimply things on her butt, it was folliculitis. She went on abx, as soon as she got off the abx, they would come back. When the doctor put her on the second round of abx, I said "can this be a food reaction?" And of course he said not a chance. When it came back after she went off the abx again, I looked at what she was eating/taking again, and with the help of the ladies here, realized there was corn in her probiotic (citric acid I think). Went off them, never had trouble with "folliculutis" again. So yeah, I think they can be a food reaction.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#373 of 377 Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 AM

The ring could be yeast, though it comes and goes pretty quickly.

The other stuff last night, though, came on all at once, and very soon after dinner/during bath, that I don't think it could be a buildup type thing. He had red cheeks, the "pimple", red from his lip to his nose, and was agressive, all starting darn near the same time, and all better this morning.

However, it does make more sense that it's something other than a whole food, seeing as how I've pretty much exhausted all my whole foods options (ie- there just isn't any whole food pattern left that makes sense). Unless it's dairy and/or wheat, and the reactions are just sporadic, or he really is sensitive to rosemary. lol There's also peppers- he didn't react to them before, but I suppose they could be part of a pattern (since I remembered that paprika and hot peppers both "count" hehe).

eta- I think you must be right, Theloose- it's a bucket or imbalance type of reaction. That's the only thing that would really make sense, and that would be the answer why I've been ED'ing and journaling for a year and he's still reacting to something. There just aren't any more foods that he reacts to every time he eats them.

#374 of 377 Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

CS, that is what happens to me.  If i eat starches or sugars, I end up with LOWER blood sugar than if I hadn't eaten at all.  It is called Reactive Hypoglycemia.  That is why I have to start meals with proteins, and finish them up with anything starchy or sweet.  

Huh. But the reason that I'm testing now is because the random blood glucose draw that my midwife did came back at 147. I'm guessing that your numbers don't get high with hypoglycemia, right?

I expect it gets high first, then low after a delay.  I haven't had an actual test.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#375 of 377 Old 01-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post

Biotin for cradle cap....Will the cradle cap just go away, or do you still need to get what's there off and then biotin will keep it from returning?  How much would I give my 45 pound child with cradle cap?  And what would you use to get it off his head that he will allow me to do???  He can't stand to let me pick it off.

DS has had cradle cap every summer since he was born.  He was born in the summer, so at 3.5 he has had it 4 times.  

The first 3 times, I picked it all off while he was sleeping.  (If I keep starting while he is dozing off, he will wake up and brush me off a few times, but eventually get so exhausted that he sleeps through it.)  Then I shampooed well to get it out of his hair.  (He has only been shampooed a handful of times in addition to these 3.)

This past summer, I left it alone.  It eventually grew out as he got new skin cells.  I did scrape off the last 3 tiny dots last week.

What interests me about this cradle cap is that it appears suddenly, and doesn't recur.  Why would the conditions that trigger it only occur once?  If I scrape it off in the first few days, shouldn't it appear again a little later?  Why are the conditions not right for it a week later?

#376 of 377 Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post

Biotin for cradle cap....Will the cradle cap just go away, or do you still need to get what's there off and then biotin will keep it from returning?  How much would I give my 45 pound child with cradle cap?  And what would you use to get it off his head that he will allow me to do???  He can't stand to let me pick it off.

You might already know this, but olive oil works for getting cradle cap off. I used it on ds2 once, and I was amazed that it got it off as easily as it did!

#377 of 377 Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM

My DS's cradle cap was moist enough that it came off very easily on its own.  I never needed oil.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page