Are nightshades or citrus fruits a problem for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious how common it is for nightshades to be a problem. From googling "nightshades eczema" it seems like they are awful horrible foods that no one should eat. lol.

If nightshades or citrus are problems for you, what is the symptom from them? I've read they can cause eczema- what about digestive problems?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 8 Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For my son, he can't have potatoes, but can have the other nightshades. He was off them for about 3 years and tested him again (food challenge) about 6 months ago. Yup still a problem -- that night, and the next two nights he screamed all night with stomach pain and wet the bed (10yo). He had about 5 potato chips as his challenge, and boy did he savor them.

For citrus, he was severe to orange, moderate to lemon, and mild to lime. After being off them for a couple years, lemon and lime were added back in. I haven't tested orange yet. His are pretty much all digestive. He hasn't had eczema from anything.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 8 Old 01-07-2011, 05:59 AM

DD reacts to citrus with bad sleep, so I'm guessing it causes stomach pain for her. It doesn't seem to cause eczema for her--I think her eczema is more related to dairy.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#4 of 8 Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM

DD is allergic to white potatoes but not citrus. Potatoes give her a tummy ache and make her eczema flare up.

#5 of 8 Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Citrus causes hives in my son and also eczema. This is IGE mediated (hence hives) but I'm thinking broader lately and that's why I'm responding. Some nightshades cause eczema but others don't. Some spices are rash/eczema and GI it seems. He's no longer positive to those spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne (nightshade) and I can't remember right now the others). I'm starting to piece together that he might have skin reactions to balsam of peru linking all of it together. Some nightshades (tomato notably), spices, and citrus fall under that unbrella which is why I mention it as I had never heard of it until a wise dermatologist diagnosed it in a friend's child who had "unexplained" severe eczema and no food allergies. Eliminated the foods and body products with balsam of peru eliminated severe eczema he had all his life. I'm amazed and I think it may be my son's issue too. Over the years I've eliminated all the foods that are related for him because of reactions and he doesn't tolerate anything but a select few soaps/lotions and, as it turns out, they don't have a balsam of peru related ingredient. That said, my son tolerates many nightshades. So, it may be just nightshade and citrus. But since you mentioned citrus and eczema I wanted to throw out the possibility.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 8 Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

very interesting- I'm going to look into that.

#7 of 8 Old 01-07-2011, 03:16 PM

DS is allergic to nightshades. Skin contact causes bleeding welts. Tobacco smoke causes respiratory issues. Accidental ingestion of a small amount causes a fine rash of skin-colored bumps all over his body, a red rash around his mouth, explosive diarrhea, and up to a week's worth of nighttime screaming due to stomach pains.

DS has some gut damage resulting from his birth, so we were told allergies were likely. He's also allergic to penicillin.

#8 of 8 Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

Citrus causes hives in my son and also eczema. This is IGE mediated (hence hives) but I'm thinking broader lately and that's why I'm responding. Some nightshades cause eczema but others don't. Some spices are rash/eczema and GI it seems. He's no longer positive to those spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne (nightshade) and I can't remember right now the others). I'm starting to piece together that he might have skin reactions to balsam of peru linking all of it together. Some nightshades (tomato notably), spices, and citrus fall under that unbrella which is why I mention it as I had never heard of it until a wise dermatologist diagnosed it in a friend's child who had "unexplained" severe eczema and no food allergies. Eliminated the foods and body products with balsam of peru eliminated severe eczema he had all his life. I'm amazed and I think it may be my son's issue too. Over the years I've eliminated all the foods that are related for him because of reactions and he doesn't tolerate anything but a select few soaps/lotions and, as it turns out, they don't have a balsam of peru related ingredient. That said, my son tolerates many nightshades. So, it may be just nightshade and citrus. But since you mentioned citrus and eczema I wanted to throw out the possibility.

I looked this up briefly, and I wonder if this is MY problem. I'm sensitive to every mainstream hair care product I've tried- including baby shampoo and expensive salon shampoo. This started about 7ish years ago. For a bunch of years, I was just fine with most hfs products, but now my scalp itches even when I use Angel Baby Earth Mama baby shampoo. bah. I always thought it was the "fragrance" in hair care products, but it didn't make sense to me how I could react to *all* fragrances, kwim? This ties things together, so maybe this is it. Thanks for the idea!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page