Rebalancing dd, on her terms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another all about thread.

Aaahhhh, dd. Where to start? Her bloody stools told me about my sensitivities. Now she can eat most anything, and I'm stuck with the restricted diet for myself. Her worst trigger is my 'yucky milk'. She's newly 4, and nurses once before bed on a good day, several times a night on a rough one, and during the day if things are particularly bad. So if I'm reacting, everything's miserable. As far as foods she eats directly, I can't name a specific reaction to a specific food, yet she still avoids gluten, soy and most dairy. She eats butter if its hidden or melted, and has been eating things like ice cream lately. She's very curious about stuff like cheese, but won't bring herself to actually try it. My sensitivities are mostly out of the house, so she avoids a lot more by default.

She has a strong sense of 'you can't make me'. If I push or insist, she screams and runs away. If I push again, she is in a bad place for the rest of the day. That bad place usually ends up with sensory exploration (throwing flour all over her face and the floor, pouring water on everything, or cutting - giving the stuffed animals or herself or the dollhouse furniture a haircut. Or else she watches videos/plays computer games, which actually seem to be soothing/calming for her. If there's something I want her to do, I need to be very proactive and creative, or else it's a no go. If I try and fail, I have to drop it immediately or I won't have a second chance later.

She was always a great napper, though it had to be on me. She was never a good sleeper until the past year or so. She would take forEVER to fall asleep at night, even though she was tired and trying, and then she would wake up for milk all.night.long. As in, every 45 min, even when she was 2. She would never fully wake up, though, just milk and then go back to sleep. Since ds was born (he's 9.5mo now), she's been falling asleep easily with story time, sleeping in her own bed (her choice) and sleeping fairly well at night.

She's got anxiety issues. For ages, if anyone would dare look at her, or worse, say hi (we're talking new preschool teachers, neighbors, kids at the playground, newborn ds, Grammy who she sees roughly every week, ANYone) she would scream and run the other way. Never scared of things like roller coasters, going on kiddie rides by herself at the theme park or scary movies, though.

So now the timeline of the past few months:

September, we started and dropped out of preschool #1. There were too many kids and participating parents, not enough individual interaction. We also started up b12 drops, which caused a day of extra intensity, followed by a day of screaming over literally nothing, followed by big cognitive leaps and lessening of her anxiety.

October, we started preschool #2, two afternoons a week, which is/was a MUCH better match. Every day it was a challenge to get her out of the car and agree to walk in, and if the teachers or other parents looked at her, she'd scream, but at the end of each day, she was grinning ear to ear, friends with the teachers, happy and excited to go do something else fun like the grocery store or play at the park. At the park, she would actually play with the other kids for the first time ever. Clearly, school was doing good stuff.

November was illness after illness. Between colds and stomach flu, I think she was only at school twice. She took a lot of b12, and was in an amazingly fantastic mood/emotional baseline place the couple days after the stomach flu. When she did go to school, she was excited to go, all smiles, happily said hi to the teachers, everything was great. This was right around thanksgiving. I felt better after the stomach flu, too, similar to when I was on antibiotics and culturelle for mastitis.

December, after the stomach flu, I started supping vit A for myself, and my mucin started going away, and dd's ankles straightened out significantly, like her crazy-loose tendons were tightening up. Between that and the flu, she lost 3-4lbs, and is looking less super chub (mucin?), and more normally proportioned. Since starting the b12, her legs have been lengthening, too, so her legs/torso are more normally proportioned now, too. She wanted only carbs to eat, though, and the goodness after the flu quickly faded. Preschool stayed happy, though.

January, we're getting sick over and over again, she's happy to go to school.

To be continued on a different computer...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

wow, that got long!

January, we're all still getting sick again and again.  Dd is happy to go to school, it's even a motivator for her, but after school she's wiped and angry at me rather than energized, (the teachers say she's great when there and I believe them).  Which is more what I'd expect, but I can't tell if it's a good thing or not.  Bedtime, though, is suddenly becoming a struggle again, getting worse for the past week or so.  Last night, after an hour or two of milk and story time and drowsiness, she still wasn't sleepy enough to fall asleep.  She's waking up tired and grumpy (nothing new).  Yesterday, she slept till 10(!!) and was still cranky tired.  I finally coaxed her out of bed with chocolate chips for breakfast and reminding her it was a preschool day.  After school she was in that good, energized place again.  Huh?  Last week, I started her on calc fluor and calc phos.  I seem to be extra sensitive to cell salts, maybe it was just too much?

She's also started reacting to food coloring (started reacting or changing reaction?  who knows) with what I'd think are typical ADHD symptoms, then crashing HARD with irrational out of control anger (fight or flight?) and calming down with epsom salts.  That's the only time I've ever seen epsom salts do anything for her.  And her focus all the time is just taking for a few months now.  She literally can't hear us when she's watching a video, and now, I'll get her attention but she's a magnet for the screen.  I can be the same way.  It takes like 5 or 6 tries to get her to look at me and really focus on me, and then she can answer the question.

So the big pieces I'm seeing are B12 (she's been refusing it after having so much while sick in november), things out of whack with my supping vit A (still waiting on my D results), gut balance being waaaay off, yeast? neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine and norepinephrine being off balance, the cell salts doing weirdness, and I'm sure I'm missing stuff too.  I'd place money on glutathione being as magic for her as it is for me, but getting it into her and spending the money on it are both pretty big hurdles.

So where to start?  Just writing it out helps some.  There's figuring out nutrients, figuring out psychology (she really responds to stuff like that), what order to do stuff, what experiments to see what's going on...

Old 01-22-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

A clue:

I'm guessing that dd's serotonin and dopamine are low, and that's the explanation for why it's so darn impossible for me to get her attention these days, and why she wants nothing but carbs to eat.  I'm guessing that a big part of the explanation is the lack of protein in her current diet.  I'm thinking a short term fix would be to load her up on folate (hidden supps) to widen her palate a bit.

User Tag List