Allergens in worchestershire sauce? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds has multiple severe IgE allergies.  (He can react to trace trace amounts of an ingredient and has an epi-pen for 5 different foods because his allergies are so severe.)  His diagnosed allergies right now are: soy, peanut, tree nut, wheat, milk, egg, and some other legumes. 

Away from home, he is allowed single ingredient foods only (ie., a banana or something).  At home, I am very careful what ingredients I use and possible cross-contamination.  I'd like to make a recipe calling for worchestershire sauce.  I'm a little concerned with the "natural flavors."  Does it contain any allergens?  I hate to try it and wait for a reaction given how severe his reactions are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 AM

I am pretty sure there is wheat or gluten, and soy in worchestershire sauce. I would do it. While I miss the flavor of it sometimes, I think it is mainly umami and I can usually recreate that somehow.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 AM

I agree, i wouldnt do it until ive checked it out w the company.

But i will say that Lea & Perrins isnt the only business in town. I actually dont use L&P because of the CS. Theres Frenchs, Annies Organics, a few small boutique brands - ones an orange label w an oak barrel, ones a purplish label w a wizard... Even Target's house brand has a W sauce. I use Cajun Power (cajunpowersauce.com), which does not have natural flavors listed. It does have "herbs", and "spices", but no "natural flavors" or "caramel color". I can find it somewhat locally, but i'd be willing to order it if I couldnt anymore, because it tastes right (which some of the others don't, really).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 AM

You can whomp up your own Worcestershire if you want to really control the ingredients--it's mainly the tamarind and anchovy that provide its character, IMO. This recipe is a decent template, and the soy sauce is mostly there for color and salt. A splash of fish sauce (not half a cup!) is a plausible stand-in for both that and the actual anchovy, with salt to taste.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM

L&P is the only worcestershire which reads GF and SF on the label.  (Wait, there might be a couple generics, too . . . don't know which). I don't know if it *is* SF for sure, you'd have to contact the company.  They claim it is GF.  The natural flavorings could certainly hide a non top 8 allergen in the US.

From the website:  Vinegar, Molasses, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Anchovies, Water, Onions, Salt, Garlic, Tamarind Concentrate, Cloves, Natural Flavorings, Chili Pepper Extract

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:32 PM

I'd call the company and ask if it is produced on shared equipment with all your list of allergens. I've rarely had a company not be able (well, willing) to answer that question with top eight and all but a few have researched and answered for our not top eight anaphylactic allergy as well (sesame). If they won't answer or I couldn't contact them I wouldn't use it.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM

We avoid it because ds2 is allergic to seafood.When I have a recipe calling for it, I usually replace it with salt, a dash of basalmic vinegar and a bit of sugar or honey to balance it out.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS had a terrible reaction in the summer before he was diagnosed.  I attributed it to the HFCS at the very least as he has a corn-A

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

User Tag List