Flushed cheeks and food sensitivity? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.  My 10 yo son has been having flushed cheeks off and on for awhile.  I've been so busy dealing w/2 other children's issues that I haven't really thought much of it until today.  Then for some reason I realized that maybe his flushing is food related?  Anyone had experience w/this?  I suppose I should keep a food diary?  

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#2 of 9 Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

pFood diary would be great. For my kids, the flushing was pretty quick after a food (for DS, it was soy, for DD2 it was apples). For my kids, they'd also spend the whole night screaming. Are there any other signs of a food intolerance? It could also be teething, especially with upper teeth.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  He's 10, so pretty much done teething for now.  I have a croupy kiddo right now, and no sleep, so didn't get a chance to even think about it any more yesterday.  I will start a diary today.  Funny, though, we are out of apples, which he LOVES, and I don't believe I saw him flushed yesterday.....Hmmmm.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#4 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 PM

I've heard that flushed cheeks are usually related to salicylate or phenol intolerance.  Apples are high in sals, I believe.

#5 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Definitely try a food diary... here's a good article on food allergies and kids and how to start an elimination diet...

Children with food allergies

#6 of 9 Old 02-16-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

I have a friend whose son has issues w/salicylates.  What a pain, because they are in so much!  I am just actually starting to learn more about phenols, too. 

#7 of 9 Old 02-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Both of my kids get flushed cheeks as a salicylate reaction.  Some apples are high in salicylates, some (golden delicious, especially if peeled) are pretty low.

#8 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM

How do you know if salicylates is a problem? Just by the food that gives a reaction?

#9 of 9 Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM

Yes, by the reactions.  There is no medical test, it is a chemical sensitivity, basically.  My kids are very sensitive.  My son will get a hivey rash within an hour or so of eating something high in sals (even a few tablespoons of ketchup), his cheeks flush sometimes.  DD2 gets flushed cheeks, emotional meltdowns, and constipation.  It's rough, it eliminates a lot of food but we are much happier with them gone! This is a great place to start reading.  http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page