breastmilk for healing, but has dairy in it. To be used for cf kid. ok or not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-14-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hopefully I'm in the right spot, if not hopefully I will be put there. winky.gif My 22 month old ds has a plugged tear duct that we still have not gotten surgery for. anywho, when he gets sick, is teething, or dealing with allergies the eye starts to have mucus come out of it and has in the past gotten infected. So, my sister-in-law who has lots of milk has pumped some for me to use. side note, I am breastfeeding him myself, but can never seem to get any milk when I try to pump or hand express. I only have a hand pump though. So, as I was saying, she has given me some milk for his eye. However I eat dairy free and she does not. My ds has a dairy intolerance so I'm not sure if her milk having dairy will make the eye worse. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shelby

#2 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 12:34 PM

are you using the breastmilk for his eye to clean up an eye infection (works better than eyedrops- in this case it would be fine, i'd say), or are you feeding the donated milk to him? 

my son is 21 mons old, and dairy-intollerant as well, so we are both dairy-free. i had to cut dairy out of my diet very early on, as he would react if i even had a bite of ice cream, for example. his reaction as a baby was insane bum rash, gas/bloating, and mucousy, green diarrhea....). as he got older, i was able to eat a bit of hard cheese and yogurt without a big reaction. now i can get away with most cheeses, though i still don't risk milk or cream (but to be honest, i like almond milk just as well so i haven't actually tried it). so if he is drinking the milk, he might react to the dairy in her diet, depending on the kind of dairy, and the amount. or he might not- he might have outgrown his sensitivity a bit? 

#3 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

yes, the bm would be for his eye. I am still nursing him and I am dairy free.
#4 of 5 Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM

i would think using it for his eye would be fine (?) not much would get absorbed i don't think, so unless his reaction is a severe one, i thinjk it would be OK (but i'm not an expert or anything)

#5 of 5 Old 02-19-2011, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldensmom09 View Post

i would think using it for his eye would be fine (?) not much would get absorbed i don't think, so unless his reaction is a severe one, i thinjk it would be OK (but i'm not an expert or anything)

I would think so too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page