Blueberry allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD is 23 months old and I think she might have a blueberry allergy. Honestly, I don't know why this hasn't crossed my mind in the past. She occasionally has liquid poops with blueberries in them. For a long time I thought it was raisins, but I remember my MIL giving DD dried blueberries a lot last year. I obviously can't trace back that this has happened every time she's had blueberries, but I remember it happening multiple times. I think I remember her poop being green-ish (but not watery or full of blueberries) the first time I gave her blueberry pancakes. We haven't had blueberries in a long time (since we try to eat locally and seasonally), but I gave DD some blueberry bread the other day and she had a watery blueberry-filled poop. Maybe it's something with dried blueberries as opposed to fresh?

So here are my questions: Does this sound like a blueberry allergy? If someone is allergic to blueberries, are they likely allergic to other berries? DD ate fresh strawberries and raspberries out of Mema's garden all summer last year and I don't remember her having a reaction to them. Could it be something about the blueberries being dried? We've eaten other dried fruits (bananas, apples, peaches, apricots, etc.) and I haven't noticed her having a reaction to those. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#2 of 4 Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's a really similar story to ds2's raisin reaction. Over the summer, he ate a lot of grapes, and he had a lot of mucousy poop, but I didn't think to pay attention to it until afterwards, so I can't know if it happened at the same time. I DO know with relative certainty that raisins cause mucousy poop.

I don't know if it's a real allergy or not. For me, once I put it together, we cut out raisins and grapes. Is your ds's poop mucousy after blueberries?

Blueberries also give ds2 blue/green poop that is full of undigested blueberries. I'm not sure exactly what to think of that. Some things are normal to be undigested- corn, bean skins, etc. I guess my thinking is that if the poop is otherwise normal with undigested food, I don't worrry about it. If it's wierd- watery, wierd color, mucousy, it's probably a good idea to hold off on the food.

It might just be a digestion thing- do you use probiotics? They might help. You might find that this "reaction" stops as your ds gets older.

I wouldn't say that it means that he's sensitive to any other berries, unless you see reactions with them as well. My ds doesn't seem to be affected at all by strawberries, so he eats them.

eta- sorry! I was saying "he" and I should have been saying "her." sorry about that!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#3 of 4 Old 02-20-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Her poop is really watery every time she eats them, so I'm going to guess it's some kind of reaction. I'll test the other berries to be sure, but I'm guessing that they're okay because she's eaten them in the past and (I think) she's been fine. I'll also test the blueberries every so often to see if she's better. Hopefully she grows out of it because blueberries are delicious!

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

People who react to nightshade often react to blueberries--it can be a sign of leaky gut.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page