working on some new thoughts - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 281 Old 06-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As soon as I can find a local source for clay (we are in Ontario, Canada and there is a postal lock out so we aren't getting any mail so I need to not have to order online) we will start on it. I'd really like to get our gut health better. All five of us (me, DP, and our three DS age 4, 2, and 9 months) have issues. We've done probiotics before but never really high doses.

I'll post updates when I find some.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 281 Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

There was a study by a neuropsych guy that found that a particular herb reliably switched people and that it worked as well, if not better, than the medication from pharmaceutical companies (great talk!)   Anyway, we've been using that as an essence and it does seem to support the neurological aspects nicely....but it's not enough.

I've been lurking here for a long time, experimenting with green clay and thinking about jumping in with VSL #3, so I've been reading this thread again and this caught my attention. Would you mind saying which herb / essence that is?

#273 of 281 Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

it was galanthus.

#274 of 281 Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:

it was galanthus.

Oooh, is that the snowdrop? How lovely!
#275 of 281 Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

indeed it is!  it has a pretty long history of use for neurological issues and is fairly well recognized as an herb.

#276 of 281 Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad to see you are still around PB!

Just weaned my son a few days ago (boohoo), so now I am ready to start up on clay again. It did wonders before but I think with the lyme, it was just too much for my nursing boy. I do feel that the lyme transformed my body for good, and I still feel it. I think the clay almost pushed the lyme out/gone.
#277 of 281 Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:

I believe it IS there to protect the body, what you are trying to address is the underlying cause.  much like flies around a trashcan there is a reason that yeast would grow out of control.  You need to clean the trashcan.  as long as food is rotting in it you will always attract flies.  A nice clean can will not be of any interest to them.

It sounds like the goal of this protocol IS a nice clean can! winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismom View Post

Maybe I felt so regularly bad back then that did not realize any reactions. I dunno

I've come to the conclusion that this is me. I felt so bad for so long that when people ask me about the "onset of symptoms" I honestly can't tell them. I THOUGHT it all really started with a "cold" that I "couldn't shake" when I was around 20, and at the same time some "lingering virus" that caused diarrhea that the doc couldn't find a cause for in the stool tests. Then a frequent recurring conjunctivitis, which turned out to be allergies to the cats I'd had since I was 9 and never had a reaction to. Or did I...? I'm not sure now. Perhaps my daily headaches that I remember being excrutiating at the age of 10 had something to do with them. Or a food allergy I had no idea I had. Or the day-long bouts of vertigo I started getting around age 12.

I first learned about FAs when ds1 had bloody stools at 6 months. I knew NOTHING. Still didn't really know anything until I REALLY delved into it here and in print last winter. I never had FAs, just my kids did. It was last winter that I started narrowing down some problems I was having and discovered I am extremely reactive to onions. WHAT!? I ate them almost daily! They are so good, and good for you, and I'm allergic? THEY are why I would have frequent, sudden, explosive diarrhea, even incontinence twice. THEY were why my body hurt so badly there was a 3-day span in 2009 where I literally couldn't get out of bed. The one time I tried I screamed in pain and collapsed, wheeping, finally conceding to Darvocet to get up. But mostly it was just a low-grade general pain in my joints and back. My THUMBS hurt so badly that I couldn't open the simplest jar. That sucked. When I went off onions I didn't feel 90 anymore! I could NOT believe it. Now, I go into getting take-out know I'm going to have a bad day the next day (almost all take-out has onions/onion powder in it). That alone is freeing. Just knowing there's a reason, and being able to plan for the reactions.

So, anyway, I'm in! PLEASE everybody come back and update your progress? I can't believe I didn't see this before now. I'm about to embark on this aggressive, expensive 4-A protocol by Dr Kenneth Bock, and then I see this. This is CALLING to me! This makes so much sense, and seeing the CFU numbers in the one post made it all so clear. The advice to "take probiotics" for everything from Candida to healing allergies made me so frustrated, as the 1-2 pills per day we were taking seemed to do nothing at all. Now I know why! Threelac, however, kicks MAJOR BOOTY in me, so I am confident that this will do worlds of good for me and my family.

And PB, you've recommended clay to me before. You're the reason I have pascalite powder for tooth brushing. However, I never knew it did all this! I busted it out tonight and started my regular regimen on the spot, after reading this entire thread. The kids and I will be doing this first, then moving to Dr Bock's aggressive treatment, assuming we even need it. My 10 yr old has thyroid issues (gained almost 100 pounds in the last 18 months) and my 4 yr old is even sicker than him, with low-weight, digestive, rickets/poor absorbtion issues, along with some borderline autistic behaviors, so I'm thinking they'll at least benefit from moving on to Dr Bock's stuff. But this seems like the magic bullet I've been looking for. Off to find the group buy of CP Pbx I know is out there. I won't be able to afford to buy it for 8 people (mom, too, living with us with Fibro and IBS) until tax time in Feb, but we'll do the clay until then and be better off for it. THANK YOU PB, for existing, and even more for sharing!

ETA: I really want to know how long this had to go on before people moved to a maintenance-kefir-at-home dosage instead? I understand it takes your own time to work up to your tolerance, and then it's 1-2 weeks before gut healing... But, on avg what have you seen PB? Weeks, months? What am I budgeting for here?

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#278 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

ETA: I really want to know how long this had to go on before people moved to a maintenance-kefir-at-home dosage instead? I understand it takes your own time to work up to your tolerance, and then it's 1-2 weeks before gut healing... But, on avg what have you seen PB? Weeks, months? What am I budgeting for here?

And at the same time I'd quite like to know what doses we're talking about. I'm up to 4 sachets of VSL #3 a day after sticking with 3 for a long, long time, and really seeing the desired results (although there were changes). That stuff is expensive, the idea of having to take 5 or 6 sachets of day makes me slightly giddy... That said perhaps 4 is what it'll take. We'll see.
#279 of 281 Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 PM

I need to read this thread over again.  Does anyone know where PB's been lately?  Has she just not been here or did she change her name again?  I need to ask her a question...

<>< Alison
#280 of 281 Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM

I don't think she posts here anymore, has not in a long while...

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#281 of 281 Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
D

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page