Mothering Forum banner

working on some new thoughts

18K views 280 replies 29 participants last post by  Thing1Thing2 
#1 ·
and I have a question for you. for mamas with allergic/sensitive kids:

what is the max amount of probiotics you've ever given to your child or yourself?

For what duration?

What else were you doing at that time?

How old was your child?

What did you see?

TIA!

#202 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

of course it can happen with digestive enzymes too, but be aware that when you have taken too much clay one of the things you can see is loose stool.
Thanks for reminding me... It is so hard to figure what is what sometimes. Ds has been slowly increasing his dose of clay to what it current is at 1t 2x per day. I gave up on 3x per day because it was just too hard to manage with work, other kids, hubby, house etc... He had the above referenced huge liquid poop on Monday and then he had a very soft and large poop on Thursday (so not as liquid but still very soft). This is major improvement as he had been going 1x per week again and only with a liquid suppository at that. He has also been VERY gassy this week. His sleep has essentially returned to normal. (We recently night weaned and he had regressed during the die off before the clay started and is now back to sleeping all night until about 5am). He does have a strange diaper rash....small bumps all over the diaper area and very itchy. What's that all about? I think it must be that something in the poop is causing his skin to be irritated. He has never had this before. It seems better today, though. I have been mixing his clay with oj. Is this ok? This kid takes fCLO so could easily drink down the clay undiluted if need be. I was just wanting to make it as easy as possible. As for me... I am now up to 1T 2x per day, which is the recommended dose on the bottle. I am having more regular bms and less gas than I usually have. I hope I am not just imagining this, but I feel like my head is begining to clear too. Hard to describe, but a general feeling of clarity and lightness. I knew this would be a step in the right direction for us and feel like it can only get better from here. Thanks so much for the nudge in this direction from all of you. I enjoy reading how you all are doing also

Jennifer

#203 ·
after our bizarre bout of gastric weirdness, VSL#3 seems (1 capsule per day) seems to have stabilized dh. when i added in a dose of liver support tincture (local product, dandelion root extract, burdock? yellow dock?), and the VSL#3, i seemed to have regained lost ground from that weirdness.

my clay has finally arrived, so i think our plan is to finish off the VSL#3 and then move into a clay experiment. though, i feel drawn to the liver support. thinking that punched out eyes with dark circles just are not a good sign :)

#204 ·
Just got back from the chiro and she gave me a list of probiotic strains that DS tested strong to. I am so excited to try them. I spoke to Harry at Custom Probiotics and he has them all and will ship next week. DS also tested weakened by fungus so this doesn't suprise me given the itchy diaper rash. He was very much strengthend by the clay. In fact, it was so funny because after she tested him on the 1t of clay he kept asking to drink it. I put him off until all the testing was done but he did not stop asking for it! He drank it right down undiluted and said it was yummy! So cool to see kids just go with their intuition. So he got an extra dose of clay today. She tested for some nutrients (b12, folinic, mag and zinc) so we will be diligent with these again. She also suggested an anitfungal that I am going to start with him. I feel much more confident about killing off fungus now that he is taking the clay.

When the probiotics come I will need some guidance on dosages, ladies! I am going to take him back to chiro to be tested but like she said... what he can physiologically handle and what he and I can handle as far as die off may be two different things.

She fully supports the theory that we need to get detoxing well first with the clay and then massively increase probiotics (gradually). She also agrees it takes way more probiotics than what we currently are taking to recolonize on any even semi permanent basis.

So glad to have been curious about the thoughts that you have been working on, PB!

Jennifer

#206 ·
Alison (why is my cursor doing strange things? I was responding after the other bit... argh.. but it doesn't matter), I think I have less body odor now than a few years ago, I know my nutrition's better and I've gotten at least a sizeable chunk of my toxic load out, my body's functioning better in several ways. So yeah, I think that's a reasonable expectation.

sunnysandiegan, it seems like I stink when more stuff is mobilized than I've really got capacity to get rid of right now. It seems like the clay could shift how your body wants to work, it's letting more stuff be mobilized because you've got more bandwidth to get rid of it, and that was its new pattern, then when you stopped, the new pattern didn't stop right away.

#207 ·
Thanks! :)

I took two doses yesterday (2 teaspoons each) and two doses today (a scant tablespoon each) and no more stinkiness!!!!!!! Yippeeeee!!!!!

We're throwing a spa party tomorrow, so this was very important to me right now.

I am getting mild-to-moderate headaches, though. Still wondering what I can do for those...

Tomorrow, my plan is to take two doses of 2 full tablespoons each. Every day I increase a little bit. With hydrated clay, at what point should I aim for three times a day versus two? Is that important or helpful or personal preference? How will I know I have taken too much? Loose, watery stools? Any other symptoms?

#209 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

sunnysandiegan, it seems like I stink when more stuff is mobilized than I've really got capacity to get rid of right now. It seems like the clay could shift how your body wants to work, it's letting more stuff be mobilized because you've got more bandwidth to get rid of it, and that was its new pattern, then when you stopped, the new pattern didn't stop right away.
yup, that's what I was attempting to say in the midst of my sleep deprived fog!

#210 ·
DS just had a fantastic beautiful consistency poop! All by himself (did not have mag yet today and no suppository needed)!!!! This is so great for us! Anybody have any suggestions to help with the diaper rash? He is itching like mad. He has tiny slightly raised bumps all over his diaper area. They are slightly pink and feel rough. He is scratching until he bleeds. He is waking at night scratching. This all started with the clay. The itching is worse just after he has a bm and the poop has contacted his skin (he is not potty trained yet). I change him immediately and am about to give him a bath. Coconut oil seems to help calm the itching somewhat. I am going to give him a bath with coconut oil in the water and then smear him up with coconut oil. Any other ideas? I have been assuming that this is a yeasty rash and related to killing of fungus in his gut but maybe I am missing something. I think I have an old tube of nystatin cream somewhere if that might be indicated I might try it. thanks for any suggestions

jennifer

#211 ·
I'd try calendula (pure calendula tincture diluted or calendula oil but not a cream or ointment) and wash the area with it a few times. You can also sprinkle dry clay topically and see if that helps. It's what I did with all my babes when there was any kind of yeast or food allergy rash. I have a long relationship with clay! LOL!

#212 ·
What a great thread. I'm loving clay lately. I was using hydrated clay but when that ran out I purchased some powdered bentonite from my herb store. I can't seem to get it to disperse in any liquid. Have I missed that part of the conversation? Also, my powdered clay leaves some dirty-looking residue at the bottom of my glass...is that normal? The hydrated clay I've always used says it is purified bentonite (Great Plains) and it does look much whiter than the powder...

#213 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post
You can also sprinkle dry clay topically and see if that helps. It's what I did with all my babes when there was any kind of yeast or food allergy rash.
This is what I was going to suggest too! It has always worked really well on our diaper rashes. And then you're giving him clay inside and out! Cool to hear about the formed poop.

#214 ·
I did the first clay bath with my son (2 1/2) at the weekend and gave him the first oral dose today. The clay we are using for the oral dose is edible earth - it is high (213% rda) in chromium - which is one of the things marked as 'high' on his hair elements test.

Are all the edible clays high in chromium ? I remember reading somewhere that clays high in aluminium weren't a problem as due to the way clay works the aluminium wouldn't be absorbed - would that also be the case for chromium ? Can anyone recommend a better clay for someone high in chromium and also aluminium (and of course many other things !)

#215 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKKK74 View Post

I did the first clay bath with my son (2 1/2) at the weekend and gave him the first oral dose today. The clay we are using for the oral dose is edible earth - it is high (213% rda) in chromium - which is one of the things marked as 'high' on his hair elements test.

Are all the edible clays high in chromium ? I remember reading somewhere that clays high in aluminium weren't a problem as due to the way clay works the aluminium wouldn't be absorbed - would that also be the case for chromium ? Can anyone recommend a better clay for someone high in chromium and also aluminium (and of course many other things !)
I think it would be fine. If he already has a ton of chromium his body isn't looking to take on more of a load. As I said, we did use clays high in aluminum when were were aluminum toxic and we still brought our numbers down.

Did you do a hair test or a provoked challenge? Remember too that the high numbers don't mean much until you look at the disrupted nutrients. Numbers *can* be high because you're excreting well.

#216 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

What a great thread. I'm loving clay lately. I was using hydrated clay but when that ran out I purchased some powdered bentonite from my herb store. I can't seem to get it to disperse in any liquid. Have I missed that part of the conversation? Also, my powdered clay leaves some dirty-looking residue at the bottom of my glass...is that normal? The hydrated clay I've always used says it is purified bentonite (Great Plains) and it does look much whiter than the powder...
hi there! you need to either shake/stir it up and leave it out overnight or blend it. For the residue, I just leave it unless there's a good amount, then I add water, swish it up and drink it.

I was taught never to allow metal to touch the clay water/magma...so I use chopsticks for stirring. I am guilty of a 5 second spin in the blender at times though!

#217 ·
Have I hit the "sweet spot" or have I hit my tolerance or is something else going on???

I worked my way up to 1 Tablespoon three times a day of hydrated clay (and I am now taking it away from food and other supplements). My stools are very loose and QUITE voluminous and frequent -- 4-5 times a day is becoming common. Not watery, though. My insides feel all mixed up; lots of movement; not comfortable, but not intolerable. Urine output is also higher volume than usual. Very gassy at times. I feel bloated and slightly icky. Been getting a headache pretty much every day, but not a predictable pattern. I had lost 15-16 pounds recently (since late October) and it is slowly coming back (5 pounds now, I think), but I haven't really changed my diet nor exercise the entire time. It feels like water weight on all counts (loss and now gain).

A little reassurance is what I could use right now...

#218 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

Have I hit the "sweet spot" or have I hit my tolerance or is something else going on???

I worked my way up to 1 Tablespoon three times a day of hydrated clay (and I am now taking it away from food and other supplements). My stools are very loose and QUITE voluminous and frequent -- 4-5 times a day is becoming common. Not watery, though. My insides feel all mixed up; lots of movement; not comfortable, but not intolerable. Urine output is also higher volume than usual. Very gassy at times. I feel bloated and slightly icky. Been getting a headache pretty much every day, but not a predictable pattern. I had lost 15-16 pounds recently (since late October) and it is slowly coming back (5 pounds now, I think), but I haven't really changed my diet nor exercise the entire time. It feels like water weight on all counts (loss and now gain).

A little reassurance is what I could use right now...
the stool itself indicates something is off. You can reduce the clay to a point where you're having formed stool OR increase it so that you do. Sounds counter-intuitive, but if the issue is that your body is trying to get rid of stuff and it's doing it too rapidly then more clay will be the answer. BUT I'd decrease first and see if you can get to a better place that way. You don't want it to be loose or more frequent than 3 times a day-and that is even pushing it for me.

#219 ·
Thank you! I was comfortable enough (only the headaches bothered me) at 2 Tablespoons per day (1T twice a day), so I'll go back to that today and tomorrow and see where I am tomorrow night.

#221 ·
Thanks! I feel like I am stirring things up (in a good way) and my body is having a hard time adjusting. The headaches alone are rough. The stool stuff actually feels productive, just a bit much, if that makes sense.

#222 ·
We have been doing clay for a few weeks now?

I energy tested some foods for my son, and it says that he can have apples, lemon and pineapple -- all strong yeses. He proudly ate a third of an apple today. He is my extremely atopic boy who've I worked with for years. Pendulum said a small no for coconut but that he will get it in the future. So, hoping the food trials bear out the energytesting.

Also, I have seen our supplement needs go down. THAT is a money saver.
smile.gif

#224 ·
Recieved the new probiotics from Custom Probiotics on Friday. It contains 5 strains that DS had tested strengthened by using muscle testing. I am so excited to be giving him the strains he really needs! I gave him the baby dose on Friday afternoon as soon as we recieved it. He pooped Friday night (it had been since last Sunday so he was way over due anyway). He took another baby dose this morning and pooped again tonight. I can't remember when he pooped two days in a row with such "normal" consistency poops (still very soft but not watery anymore). He has been taking 1t of hydrated clay 2x per day. He is not having any die off symptoms yet but I am planning to stay at this dose of probiotics for a couple more days (25 billion cells). I am having him tested for dosing on the probiotics on Monday so will wait on this dose at least until then. I am scared to get too excited about this as I have had my hopes up before. I have been praying to be guided to the right plan to heal him and feel strongly that we are truely onto something now with the new probiotics and increasing the dose. His yeasty rash is gone, though I did break down and treat with nystatin ointment 3x. It has not come back though despite stopping the nystatin a few days ago. He is sleeping great again and back to being peacefully night weaned (!!!). He also agreed to sit on the potty chair WITHOUT a diaper on! Is this my kid?! He said, "See Mommy, now I want to do potty training too!" OK, then.

Questions...

The suggestions that came with the probiotic said to give first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, wait 30 minutes then eat.

I have been giving him the clay with his breakfast. Is this ok so close to the probiotic? I feel like it's ok... give the probiotic which goes in and crowds out the bad bugs then follow with the clay to absorb and flush it out. Is this the right idea? I don't want the clay to sweep out the good probiotics.

I am enjoying reading about everyone's experiences with introducing clay. Has anyone else started increasing probiotic dosage yet and how far have you gone so far? I and my girls are also taking the clay and the same probiotics. We are all more regular but none of us have the severity of problems that DS does so he gets most of the typing time. One thing I have noticed. DD1 (11 year old) has extremely dry skin on her hands. It is red and chapped and burns. It did not start until she started the clay. Maybe the clay is dehydrating her a bit and she needs to drink more? Maybe it is not related at all but weird that it started around the same time.

Jennifer

#225 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

We have been doing clay for a few weeks now?

I energy tested some foods for my son, and it says that he can have apples, lemon and pineapple -- all strong yeses. He proudly ate a third of an apple today. He is my extremely atopic boy who've I worked with for years. Pendulum said a small no for coconut but that he will get it in the future. So, hoping the food trials bear out the energytesting.

Also, I have seen our supplement needs go down. THAT is a money saver.
smile.gif
this was one of my main goals when I started experimenting with this particular protocol. I've seen people reduce needs with both clay and cell salts (they're doing *similar* things) and wanted healing to be simple, accessible and not cost an arm and a leg. As I've said before the biochem stuff is interesting and fun, but I firmly believe that it's a bandaid and what I'm looking to do is normalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

Yay for money-savers! Cell salts were a really nice one for saving us money, and long-term I hope the clay and probiotics do as well. Plus that whole being healthier thing. ;-)
Yup! Cell salts and clay-mother's best friends! Honestly, if you looked in my purse at any point you'd see what I carry, and have carried for years. Don't leave home without 'em! Cell salts, remedies, 2 tinctures, emergency/rescue essences and clay. I usually have l liquid oxygen as well. My bag isn't even all that big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismom View Post

Recieved the new probiotics from Custom Probiotics on Friday. It contains 5 strains that DS had tested strengthened by using muscle testing. I am so excited to be giving him the strains he really needs! I gave him the baby dose on Friday afternoon as soon as we recieved it. He pooped Friday night (it had been since last Sunday so he was way over due anyway). He took another baby dose this morning and pooped again tonight. I can't remember when he pooped two days in a row with such "normal" consistency poops (still very soft but not watery anymore). He has been taking 1t of hydrated clay 2x per day. He is not having any die off symptoms yet but I am planning to stay at this dose of probiotics for a couple more days (25 billion cells). I am having him tested for dosing on the probiotics on Monday so will wait on this dose at least until then. I am scared to get too excited about this as I have had my hopes up before. I have been praying to be guided to the right plan to heal him and feel strongly that we are truely onto something now with the new probiotics and increasing the dose. His yeasty rash is gone, though I did break down and treat with nystatin ointment 3x. It has not come back though despite stopping the nystatin a few days ago. He is sleeping great again and back to being peacefully night weaned (!!!). He also agreed to sit on the potty chair WITHOUT a diaper on! Is this my kid?! He said, "See Mommy, now I want to do potty training too!" OK, then.

Questions...

The suggestions that came with the probiotic said to give first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, wait 30 minutes then eat.

I have been giving him the clay with his breakfast. Is this ok so close to the probiotic? I feel like it's ok... give the probiotic which goes in and crowds out the bad bugs then follow with the clay to absorb and flush it out. Is this the right idea? I don't want the clay to sweep out the good probiotics.

I am enjoying reading about everyone's experiences with introducing clay. Has anyone else started increasing probiotic dosage yet and how far have you gone so far? I and my girls are also taking the clay and the same probiotics. We are all more regular but none of us have the severity of problems that DS does so he gets most of the typing time. One thing I have noticed. DD1 (11 year old) has extremely dry skin on her hands. It is red and chapped and burns. It did not start until she started the clay. Maybe the clay is dehydrating her a bit and she needs to drink more? Maybe it is not related at all but weird that it started around the same time.

Jennifer
Glad things are looking up! I've gone up to a few hundred billion with many kiddos and myself gotten up to 400 billion. I think separating the pbx and the clay by an hour is fine. Clay internally really doesn't dehydrate skin-none of the evidence shows that. It could however be a quirk of her detox. I'd look at increasing fats, especially given that we've just ended the winter season here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.