5 month old with constant congestion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

5 month old with constant congestion

Hi all,  I could use some help/support getting started... my 5 month old DD has been congested basically since birth, it seems.  Sometimes it's worse than others, but it has never completely gone away.  It's a cough and runny nose, and ear infections.  She doesn't have any rashes.  It's not terrible -- it's thin mucous, so she never has trouble breathing and she sleeps ok at night (she sleeps with me). But, I'd like to see if I can make her feel better by eliminating whatever is causing her issues.  I have already greatly reduced dairy because it was clearly affecting her tummy - painful smelly gas, smelly poop.  After reducing dairy, this got much better immediately.  I'm still working on going a good 5 days with no dairy at all.  

We recently switched to a new more holistic pediatrician to see if we could get some better ideas re: ear infections, since my 3 year old had them as a baby too.  She's given me a few options:

1. do nothing, since she's doing ok, and some people would say this is normal for an infant (not what she recommends)
2. elimination diet for me - starting with no soy, dairy, wheat, corn, nuts
3. 3 days on allergen-free formula
4. singulair
5. go on a week vacation to see if it's environmental allergies -- I wonder if we have mold in our house (although no one else is sick) or if it could be constant viruses from being in daycare 3 days/week.  

Option 3 doesn't work because DD doesn't drink bottles.  (Not my preference, but it is what it is.)  

I'm open to trying Singulair, but right now I feel she is still too little for that, so I want to try some diet things first.  

So I have a few questions...

1.) Does anyone have experience with Singulair in infants?

2.) Does anyone have any ideas regarding her symptoms and what type of allergy this could be?  My 3 year old is allergic to peanuts & sesame, but, silly me, I haven't been totally eliminating peanuts from my diet when nursing DD, although I don't eat them very often.

3.) On the elimination diet the pediatrician recommended, are sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds ok?

4.) The pediatrician said once the offending food is eliminated from my diet, her symptoms should go away in 5 days.  I thought it took longer than that... what do you think?

5.) what about oatmeal?  rice milk?

Thanks so much...

Bethany
(mama to DD - 5 months, and DS - 3 years)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page