Itchy Throat - Adult Onset Lobster Allergy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
kl5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I eat Lobster probably 6-12 times a year (DP is from northern MA) and have never had any reaction I have noticed. (I ate 10 lobsters on one 9-day trip to New England...) I am intolerant to gluten, but it is not a true allergy from what I can tell. No other issues with other allergies to foods or pollen or other irritants that I have noticed. Last night eating a lobster my throat and the back of the roof of my mouth got tingly, almost itchy. It is not something I had ever noticed before, but once I felt the feeling, it felt familiar like maybe I had experienced it before but not paid attention? That probably makes no sense. But I did not have problems with my breathing or feel flushed or notice any other symptom. Just a tingly palate and throat that stopped soon after I stopped eating the lobster.

Anyway, could this possibly be a new allergy? I am (newly, this was my birthday lobster...) 37 and hoping not. TIA.

#2 of 3 Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Hmmm...you can definitely develop food allergies including serious ones as an adult. Shellfish and tichy throat would make me nervous to be honest with you. It could be coincidence...it could be a sign you could go anaphylactic next time though. In your shoes I would make an appointment with an allergist so you can be tested before you eat lobster again. If you're allergic you'd want to not just avoid but also have an epi pen as it's a serious allergy and you had throat tingling.

Hopefully it was nothing at all. I'd just want to be sure though.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 3 Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Stay away from it.

I too used to eat lots of lobster over the years and I am someone who suffers from hay fever type allergies like sneezing, itchy ears and throat on a regular basis because of the climate I live in.  I am now 33 and I have not touched lobster since i was 24.  It started out as this tingling on my tongue in my late teens but i ignored it.  I had a child at 22 and whenever i ate lobster I would experience more tingling on the tongue, itchy throat and neck.  As I am already familiar with those symtoms, I would continue to eat lobster and shrimp!  (hard headed right)  However, I had an incident when i was out to dinner at the age of 24, i ate this very tender lobster and after finishing it, i developed itchy throat, ears, eyes, tingly tongue and throat and sneezing profusely.  I now stay away from it.  Also I have heard of people who's throats swell were they cannot breath after eating shrimp, I remain clear of loster and shrimp.  I wish I can eat it again but I am very concerned with what could happen. :(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page