Healing Leaky Gut - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

Is anyone else trying to heal a leaky gut at the moment and interested in sharing some ongoing discussions about it?

These links are great so I'm going to add them at the beginning of this thread.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1096747/where-to-start-help-101 

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/434071/healing-the-gut-tribe-cheat-sheet#post_4893042 

I'll write up more details of my son's history later. I hope there are some others keen to join the discussion - it would be great if we could get a group like the old 'healing the gut tribe' going.

#2 of 61 Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

My son is 2yrs 8 months and we've known for about a year that he probably has a leaky gut. He is allergic (histamine rash, breathing difficulties etc) to eggs and all red / green peppers etc. He is intolerant (bronchitis, sinusitis, rhinitis, glue ear, behaviour issues etc.) to gluten, dairy, sugars and fructose, all artificial preservative, colours, flavourings etc and something else possibly salicylates and certainly something on the sals list as he has shown improvement since starting the sals free diet.

He is showing all the classic low vit D, low zinc, low iron etc issues. We get his heavy metals results and more blood tests back tomorrow so will know more about that then. His metal tests were normal at 12 months so it will be interesting to see. 

We are about to begin a really intensive gut healing project but are drowning slightly in all the information. He is currently taking probiotics, omega 3, cod liver oil, iron, zinc, vit C, L-glutamine, slippery elm and homeopathic kali sulphate and kali chloride and Epsom salts.

Things I am planning on introducing in the next few weeks are digestive enzymes, water keffir, B6 (and other things but I forget what as I slowly drown in information !). I am looking at the GAPS diet but worried about how to combine it with his other allergies.

Any suggestions or information will be very much appreciated. I am slowly working through the links above and various other websites but it is taking me a while ! 

#3 of 61 Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Hi Ladies! I would love to join the discussion.  My son is 2.5 and we have similar issues.  Dairy, soy, gluten, wheat, nightshades, coconut, and corn all set him off with bad hyperactivity, respiratory, and GI reactions.  All intolerances, no true allergies. 

We recently starting a low sals diet as well, and I am still not certain what I am looking for, but his sleep seems to have improved, so something is working. 

We ahve knowm leaky gut is an issue for awhile, but I too am drowning in information and questions and doubts.

We are inconsistant with supps because he eats so little and detects them in everything.  Lately, his appetite is increasing, and we got a Vita Mix, so I am ready to start working on hiding them again.

Have you found, KKKK, that the L Glutamine makes your little one sleepless or hyper?  I think it is having that effect on us...

I can't find a multi vitamin that doesnt have allergens in it for him.  I give him Vit C, and Cod Liver Oil.  We do Epsom Salt Baths and Homeopathics when needed.  For the first time, I used Bentonite Clay after he ingensted an allergen, and the reaction was MUCH shorter than usual!  Hooray for little victories...

I plan to start an agressive "Heal our Leaky Guts" regimen on April 1, Do either of you want to join me?  I need to be accountable to someone.  :)

It's so nice to know I am not alone.

Ryanna

#4 of 61 Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Hi - I'm just starting down this path with my 3 yr old DS. I just posted our situation here: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1304902/lots-of-questions-igg-tests

I barely know anything about this but would love to discuss and learn from everyone else here!

-Kati

#5 of 61 Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys - Thanks for responding. We all seem to be in a very similar place so hopefully can all help each other.

I'm completely onboard for the intensive April 'heal our leaky guts' start !

What are you planning on doing ??

We got our heavy metal hair test back last week and as expected they were high. They want to start him on DMSA suppositories in the next couple of weeks. We are a bit unsure as it's quite aggressive I think.

We started the clay bath thing today for the first time - we did a low dose and only ten minutes, I'll increase it next weekend if we don't see anything negative. I haven't tried the edible version yet. I bought the edible earth one but then saw it is high in chromium which is one of the things that came up high on his hair test so want to find out a bit more about it first.

Interesting what you ask about the L-Glutamine - he has been taking a long time to settle at night and sometimes he's not sleeping at all at lunch time - we give the L-glutamine in the morning at breakfast -  the timing would about match the introduction of the L-glutamine. I had put it down to just being 2 yrs 8 months so naturally dropping the lunch sleep (which I am fighting as I'm 6 months pregnant and need it even if he doesn't!). I have to take him off the L-glutamine in a few days for a bit (to increase the sugar/salicylate challenge - our L-glutamine mix is high in salicylates and we have to put it in pear baby food to get him to take it). It will be interesting to see what happens then - although of course I won't know if that's the sugar/salicylates thing ! 

Kate

#6 of 61 Old 03-27-2011, 06:59 AM

I'm so encouraged!  April 1st I hope to just be better about focusing on his supps, keeping sals down, and journaling.  I am also in need of major gut healing, but put myself last of course.  I am growing increasingly more uncomfortable and dropping too much weight, so the timing is good.  I am going to make a sheet of his daily needs and mine, laminate it, and use a dry erase marker to cross off and circle what needs to still happen that day.  I am having troble keeping my thoughts organized (crippling ADD!) around the whole thing, and the information alone sends me into panic mode!

KKKK - let me know what you find with the LGlutamine! I remember reading on this board a long time ago that a group of mamas had found LGlutamine made their little ones sleepless... we could always post a seperate thread and see if those ladies are still around and could weigh in.  Can I ask what prompted you to get heavy metals test?  What are the symptoms of metals issues?

And sals question: it seems there is something where you need to balance the Omega 3's and 6's, but I'm not sure how to do this.  anyone know anything about this?

So far, I feel we need to keep up with (for him)

Probiotics, Fermented CLO, Dig Enzymes, Zinc (how do I get this from food into a toddler? I tried a liquid version that was foul!) MolyB, Mag, Complex B, and C.

Add to that, for me: Nettles, Milk Thistle, Turmeric and other yeast killers (this goes hand in hand with my leaky gut. Anyone else?)

Looking forward to continuning this conversation with you all!

Have a healthy Sunday...

Ryanna

#7 of 61 Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 AM

Hi Katy! I just read your thread... wow. I feel your pain! We were there about a year ago after our testing. 

Meat is pretty much the only thing my DS easily digests.  Would you consider giving it to him or are you strict veggie?  I respect your lifestyle and one day imagine going veggie again!  I am reading alot about how hard grains are to process, and really going more of a meat and veggie and fruit and fat route.  Along the lines of Paleo, just while we are gut healing.  We have serious GI issues though, and it sounds like your DS has other symptoms.  Isn't it so hard to figure this puzzle out?!

Looking forward to figuring some of this stuff out together...

#8 of 61 Old 03-27-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yes - it is in the sals thread about the omega 3:6 ratio - basically you need to keep the omega 3's high and the omega 6's low - mamafish9 was posting about it. It is hard though because basically the sunflower and safflower which are low sal and in most of his new snacks etc are high in omega 6 and no omega 3. Canola oil is slightly better but still a 2:1 ratio omega 6:omega 3 I think. I thought Olive oil was higher in omega 3 than 6 but am reading conflicting things online  - I need to research it more. And of course olive oil anyway is high in Sals ! Let me know how you plan to increase the omega 3 and decrease the omega 6. I guess flaxseed on his cereal would be a good start - I've got some in the cupboard I'll start it tomorrow - thankyou for reminding me of that issue!

High metals can be a contributing factor to leaky gut, even if it isn't what caused it high metals can make it harder for the gut to heal once it is damaged - I can't remeber the science any more than that without looking it up. Anyway that was our reason for investigating his further.

I don't know if yeast has been / is a problem for him  - I suspect it was about a year ago when he was at his most sick from allergies he had the classic pot belly / super skinny limbs - like a starving Ethiopean image - which I believe is classic of yeast imbalance - he's had a year now of no sugar and high probiotic and that look has gone - he is now just skinny - so we're guessing he may of had yeast which is now more under control - this is guess work only. We should know a bit more in a few weeks when we have him potty trained and can do a full stool test. Otherwise I may look at the urine test that can look at yeast. He's never had the thrush etc out breaks.  

#9 of 61 Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just curious where you all live. My kids have food intolerances and metals, etc. and they also have lyme (as do I). So just wondering if you've considered that. Have you done Magnesium to help sleep? Have any of you tried glutathione? Enzymes? Probiotics?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 61 Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Kati - sorry for not replying sooner to your message but I've only just had time to read it properly and think about it. Sadly I can't offer any more input than the others have already but I do sympathise - your OK foods are about as limiting as ours and I know I am struggling. As of this morning I am pretty convinced he has a new intolerance. All the signs are there the cough, the blocked nose the sleeplessness. Behaviour is ok at the moment but that tends to be one of our later symptoms. Like you I just don't know how we can cope with an even more limited diet and I know he is going to pick up more intolerances as every time we take a food group out we are overloading his system even more with the limited range he is eating.

Kjbrown92 - we live in Singapore now but we are English (although my son has never lived in England, only visited). We use probiotics, we do epsom bath salts, he is about to start magnesium orally, glutathione cream (doctors prescription) and digestive enzmes - the low protease ones initially and then the higher protease ones (my prescription!). Have never considered Lyme and no nothing about it - I'll do a google.

Mama.rye - our liquid zinc tastes ok  - I mix it with rice / soy milk and he drinks it fine. It's the metagenics brand  - apparently it is not the most absorbable type but is alot better than nothing.

In my usual panic reaction to a new intolerance I started him on the oral clay today (yes the same one I said I was not going to start him on till I'd investigated further - which I haven't done!)

#11 of 61 Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 AM

I know this is not the case for everyone, but it bears mentioning that parasites are very very common, and cause leaky gut. I tried to heal my leaky gut for years and just got worse. Then I got rid of parasites, and all of a sudden my gut-healing regimen started working like gangbusters, and food sensitivities I'd had for a few years cleared up (eggs and milk). Most people have parasites at some point, we all are exposed, and some of us are not as good at shedding them naturally. Here's my story, with everything I used to treat (while I was nursing): http://www.howigotmyhealthback.com .

I also recently treated my toddler for parasites, and saw some chronic rashes clear up, he gained four pounds, and he lost the circles under his eyes.

Leaky gut is certainly caused by other things, too, but after my personal experience I would never try healing a leaky gut without also doing a parasite cleanse at the same time. Just my $.02.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#12 of 61 Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.rye View Post

Hi Katy! I just read your thread... wow. I feel your pain! We were there about a year ago after our testing. 

Meat is pretty much the only thing my DS easily digests.  Would you consider giving it to him or are you strict veggie?  I respect your lifestyle and one day imagine going veggie again!  I am reading alot about how hard grains are to process, and really going more of a meat and veggie and fruit and fat route.  Along the lines of Paleo, just while we are gut healing.  We have serious GI issues though, and it sounds like your DS has other symptoms.  Isn't it so hard to figure this puzzle out?!

DS and I are strict veggie now, but my DH is not... It's seeming like there is no option but to give him meat/fish. I hope it can be temporary and he can be vegetarian again later. It's going to be really really hard for me. I've been vegetarian for a looong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

Just curious where you all live. My kids have food intolerances and metals, etc. and they also have lyme (as do I). So just wondering if you've considered that. Have you done Magnesium to help sleep? Have any of you tried glutathione? Enzymes? Probiotics?

We're in California and have not been tested for lyme. I can't remember what the symptoms are... We are supposed to start enzymes with this new diet plan... any day now! We have been on probiotics in the past and we were doing yogurt before daily too. Now if yogurt is out we will go back to probiotics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKKK74 View Post

Kati - sorry for not replying sooner to your message but I've only just had time to read it properly and think about it. Sadly I can't offer any more input than the others have already but I do sympathise - your OK foods are about as limiting as ours and I know I am struggling. As of this morning I am pretty convinced he has a new intolerance. All the signs are there the cough, the blocked nose the sleeplessness. Behaviour is ok at the moment but that tends to be one of our later symptoms. Like you I just don't know how we can cope with an even more limited diet and I know he is going to pick up more intolerances as every time we take a food group out we are overloading his system even more with the limited range he is eating.

It's hard to believe it's 'healthy' to eat such limited foods... is the idea that the gut will heal itself and then you can go back to a more varied diet? I guess I just don't get how this all works yet. I'm sorry you're stuck with so few to work with as well. One of the guides I read said that you just eliminate for a month and then re-test the food by eating it... are you finding that that works?

I think I'm far behind you all - I barely know what some of these supplements are. Right now it was recommended that we do multi vitamins, digestive enzymes, probiotics, omega 3's, calcium, iron, vitamin D, some homeopathic stuff, and some other stuff I can't remember right now...

Much to learn!!

#13 of 61 Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post

I know this is not the case for everyone, but it bears mentioning that parasites are very very common, and cause leaky gut.

Are these the kind of parasites that they test for with a comprehensive stool analysis and parasitology??

#14 of 61 Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM

I'm starting tomorrow!  I'm not really sure what, but I am just heightening my awareness tomorrow, making good choices for both of us, and making a huge effort to get his supps in him and get those Omega 3's going as well.  Thank you for explaining that KKKK...

mbravebird - I have a poo test ready to utilize to test for parasites.  I do believe they could be a contributing factor. Thank you for reminding me to get on the ball with that. :)  And thnak you for the link to your blog and your story! You are amazing for following your inner wisdom of your dreams. 

kjbrown - we are in coastal NC, where I don't think Lymes is a problem, but I wouldn't discount anything at this point.  We do probiotics, digestive enzymes, epsom salt baths (and mag on the nights he does not).  I have heard of the importance of glutothione, but have not gotten any yet.  Is it tasteless and easy to supp?  Mine is positively gifted at detecting anything in his food.  I read online there are some lotions, but with his sals issues, I worry about putting anything on his skin.  Food for thought there?

I get so overwhelmed because it's not just one thing to fix.  I don't know how to safely detox from teh yeast, heal the leaky gut, deal with the metals and parasites issues, etc without feeling scared that I am doing something wrong.  I don't have a practitioner who is fully knowledgeable in all of these areas. 

Who is with me for starting a regimes tomorrow?  I am cutting out obvious sugars, vinegar and alcohol for my first week, drinking more water and taking my supplements.  I figure getting those things out can't hurt anything! 

I have bentonine clay that I may add to the regimen.

APRIL FIRST MARKS A NEW BEGINNING!  What are you changing, mamas?

xo

#15 of 61 Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 PM

I'm with you! We are starting a rotation diet, eliminating all high sensitivity foods, and adding enzymes starting today. In a couple days we will add another supplement and slowly add on one at a time. (every few days) Happy April 1 and happy spring! Here's to success and healing!

#16 of 61 Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati_kati View Post

Are these the kind of parasites that they test for with a comprehensive stool analysis and parasitology??

Apparently the tests only catch some of them, but yes, that test will catch some, for sure. I think they're bad at finding protozoa? I can't remember.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#17 of 61 Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 PM

Kati - I tried so hard to do a rotation diet!  Please post about how it goes so I might be inspired to go that route again.

In addition to what I have mentioned above, I am going to dabble in crystal testing.  i cannot keep guessing all the time, and it seems one day something "safe" is suddenly causing major issues.  I just have to find something to tie to a piece of string and start practicing!

Yes, to good health in the Spring. Perfect time for new beginnings!

#18 of 61 Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

How's it going for everyone ?

We are still waiting for our enzymes to arrive  - hopefully in the next 2 days and then we'll add them in. Kati - what enzymes are you adding ? I am starting with enzymedica lacto - which is a low protease enzyme meant to be good to start on for a damaged intestine. Then I am going to introduce enzymedica glutenease as my protease enzyme if he is tolerating the lacto one. Then I am hoping to add a high protease one between meals for virus/yeast/bacteria gut healing stuff but I've not researched this much yet so I don't know which one. I guess it will partially be based on how he is tolerating the others. If you can see anything in this plan that I have wrong please do tell me !

Also Kati I'd be interested to see how you're mapping your rotation diet out - I'm trying to do ours at the moment - which is hard when the foods are so limited. Some of my problem is I think I am trying to make it 'too perfect' ie food types one day then not at all for 4 days and that is just not possible with his limited range and so instead he is eating the same things over and over with no thought or planning. I think what I need to do is a less perfect but actually workable rotation diet that is at least better than what we are doing, even if he is having some of the lower risk foods slightly more often than is ideal. As soon as I have something I'll post it and would be interested in your feedback - I think it is often more obvious to other people what could be added to his meal plan - we tend to be a bit stuck in a rut with the same few ideas.

Unfortunately I suspect his new intolerance may be buckwheat which will make the rotation diet even harder ! He has been completely gluten free for a year now but I am contemplating trialing some spelt or kamut or similar when the digesive enzymes arrive. This would help massively with the rotation diet issues but of course may not be successful and I'm petrified of doing more damage to the gut if it is an irritant. What do you reckon good idea or too much too soon ?

Supplement wise everything is similar at the moment. We are waiting for some of the new stuff to arrive B6, molybdenum, selenium, malic acid and glutathione cream. It should be here next week.

Mama.rye - have you tried naets allergy/intolerance testing ? - you may be interested.

#19 of 61 Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM

Hi Kate!

We're using Kirkman Enzym-Complete DPP-IV  II w/Isogest. Our doctor told us to sprinkle 1-2 capsules on food at the beginning of each big meal. I have no idea how this compares to what you mentioned. What does low protease mean? Is it about enzymes being damaging to the gut if they are too strong or something?

For the rotation diet, we have very limited foods that scored zero. There are a handful that scored low. So we are rotating those, and there are not many choices so it's not terribly hard I guess. We wrote out a list of four days of food and are rotating those. We're on day 6 (total) now and we are refining the practical stuff as we go (like when to cook what). Grains are the toughest one since only buckwheat was not eliminated, but they didn't test for very many. So we are taking a gamble on quinoa. We are rotating buckwheat, quinoa, potato, and sweet potato. They're not all grains, but something starchy I guess, for lack of alternatives. We tried amaranth one day and he had a humongous amaranth poop the next day… I guess that's not a good thing? (I have no idea honestly, how much it's ok to 'not digest'??) Then for fruits we also have about 5 that are 'low', so we assigned those to the four days. And for veggies. We also added fish and chicken :( , which he's never eaten before. I'm still waiting for the poop from the meat - no poop in 2.5 days!! Not normal. And he's been pretty lethargic too the last two days, which is not normal for him either. How would I tell if it's related to the diet changes? I have such a hard time figuring this out. We are going to try sticking to tested foods only for a few weeks, then consider adding more variety… not sure yet. I also really want to re-test to have more foods on the list. Also our test didn't test any oils, so we are blindly continuing to use olive oil.

People talk about looking at day to day changes to find out if foods are an issue. But how can you tell if it's the food or something else, like that he didn't sleep well…? What do you look for? Did you test for IgG reactions again recently and can you use that to decide if you should add buckwheat?? Have you tried other things like amaranth, quinoa, teff, tapioca?

#20 of 61 Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Kati

Ok I am no expert and currently a bit scared to be handing out advice as only last week I was supplementing my son with chlorella - which I've since found out may have been taking his heavy metals and dumping them in his brain ! so not my smartest move !

Anyway my understanding is that a high protease enzyme is too strong as a starter enzyme for a damaged gut and may cause more harm than good or at least discomfort for your son. The one you are using is high protease  - I think it is actually a great enzyme and the one I hope to eventually get Myles onto, just maybe not the best to start on. We are planning as I said to start on a low/no protease one to ease the gut in slowly.

I am basing most of this information on information from the book Enzymes - go with your gut. There is a good website that goes with the book - I've noticed it's referred to often in different forums so I assume the opinions are good and valid. This is a link to the section where she talks about the need to go slow with enzyme introduction - of course the book covers this in more detail but it's a good intro http://www.enzymestuff.com/basicsdosing.htm   Here is a link to the section helping you select the best enzyme http://www.enzymestuff.com/basicsproductguidelines.htm#7  I've included those two links as they are slightly hidden when you first start looking at the website - the whole website is great though and worth spending some time on if you are interested in exploring enzyme use.

But then if you've got a doctor you trust knows what they are doing and your son is tolerating the enzymes you are using don't listen to me - our enzymes are still in the post and we haven't even started them yet ! I am only regurgitating what I have read (and it's always possible I''ve misunderstood that!) - please anyone else feel free to correct me if I am wrong with any of this.  

I'll think through the other stuff later.

Kate

#21 of 61 Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi again - thanks for the food rotation details - that helps.

We had been using rice, buckwheat, white potatoe (sweet potato is out because of sals) and quinoa (and millet puffs sometimes for breakfast). Like I said I'm pretty sure he's just become intolerant to buckwheat so that's out now. We have bought regular millet but haven't yet tried cooking it or looking for recipes. Thanks for the amaranth, teff and tapioca ideas - we hadn't come up with any of them.

We get the same poop thing with quinoa - he just doesn't digest it at all. Does this mean we shouldn't be giving it ? But then if I didn't give anything he didn't digest we'd be halving or more the limited amount of food we do have available. Have you noticed any digestion differences since starting the enzymes ? I'm pinning alot of hope on those I think.

We've never done the IGG tests - we normally identify his intolerances with elimination diets and NAETS testing. His bronchitis is a great intolerance identifier - with behaviour and sleep etc it is always hard to know what is just him being 2 1/2 (although both do deteriorate significantly when the intolerances are around!). I am thinking of doing the IGG now, although I had heard that it is not always accurate and alot of doctors don't recommend it. What do you feel about the IGG?

Other small things we are doing include - we've stopped giving him milk (rice/soy) from the fridge - to drink or on cereal - we warm it to room temperature now. I read somewhere this was better for digestion and healing leaky gut. Also we try and encourage him to drink as much as we can between meals and try not to give him a drink with meals - sorry I forget exactly why we're doing this - I think it something to do with not diluting his digestive juices or something - if I come across the links again I'll post them. Similarly we are trying to leave it an hour after he wakes up before he has breakfast - again something to do with getting his digestive juices woken up in the morning. We only manange this 4 mornings a week it's not possible in our house on a pre-school morning !  

#22 of 61 Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I am basing most of this information on information from the book Enzymes - go with your gut. There is a good website that goes with the book - I've noticed it's referred to often in different forums so I assume the opinions are good and valid. This is a link to the section where she talks about the need to go slow with enzyme introduction - of course the book covers this in more detail but it's a good intro http://www.enzymestuff.com/basicsdosing.htm   Here is a link to the section helping you select the best enzyme http://www.enzymestuff.com/basicsproductguidelines.htm#7  I've included those two links as they are slightly hidden when you first start looking at the website - the whole website is great though and worth spending some time on if you are interested in exploring enzyme use.

But then if you've got a doctor you trust knows what they are doing and your son is tolerating the enzymes you are using don't listen to me - our enzymes are still in the post and we haven't even started them yet ! I am only regurgitating what I have read (and it's always possible I''ve misunderstood that!) - please anyone else feel free to correct me if I am wrong with any of this.  

Thanks for the links! I had no idea. Our doctor suggested that enzyme and never mentioned potential side effects. Unfortunately since my DS is not talking yet, he can't tell me if they're bothering him. He has a high pain tolerance but it could be affecting him other ways. He doesn't have any of the symptoms listed here under 'adjustment effects' - http://www.enzymestuff.com/discussionadjustments.htm#1  so I'm hoping it's ok. He's actually been pretty sluggish the last few days compared to normal... maybe some of the hyperness due to foods is going away? But his sleep has been messed up. I guess it's too early to tell...

#23 of 61 Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM

In answer to your most recent post:

I don't know what to make with amaranth/teff/tapioca really. I have some of the whole grains and some flours. I found a recipe for amaranth crackers, but I can't imagine making crackers... so much work!  Well, maybe I'll try.

I don't know what it means when things are not fully digested in the poop. I mean, they talk about having some roughage or fiber as good for digestive health, don't they? Some of it may be due to improper chewing too - I know that's true in our case.

We started the enzymes like 5 days ago. We had a 3 day gap between poops, and I think there's still more waiting to come out... He's been really sluggish the last 3 days. How can I tell if it's related to food or enzymes? We had 2 really bad sleep nights in the past 5 days too, after going 2.5 weeks with relatively good sleep. So how do I figure out what caused that...??

I have never heard of NAETs... I looked at the website and could not understand what they do for treatment. Is there a good link somewhere that explains what they really do? I too have heard that IgG is not that accurate. Our doctor said to go by it, though she did seem to think that the main issue was healing his gut and not about the individual sensitivities, and that those would change/go away as his gut healed. So a rotation diet would allow some healing.

I hadn't heard about the salicylate issues either I don't think... learning a lot here! So how did you get started on that path? I mean, how do you know it's a sals issue? Is there testing??

So much to figure out!!

#24 of 61 Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

How's it going with the enzymes Kati ?

Ours have arrived but we are having some more blood tests done this week - the whole blood elements, so I am going to wait till after the blood tests to start the enzymes.

To be honest I don't really understand NAETs myself - I just know for us it has been hugely accurate in identifying my son's intolerances and allergies. To test him my son holds some of the food type in a glass jar (we can even tuck the glass jar into his nappy when he plays), I then touch him with one hand and raise my other arm, the practioner then pushed down on my raised arm. If he is intolerant to the food item then I lose muscle strength and cannot hold my arm up when it is pushed. I know this sounds really hippy and if I hadn't experienced it I wouldn't believe it myself but it has been amazing how accurate it has been and how obvious his intolerances are.

The practioner then works on his energy and accupressure points with simple massage to 'fix' or 'help' the problem - to be honest I don't know how effective that is, as I have chosen not to reintroduce the foods again because with his leaky gut issues there would be no point. It obviously isn't a guaranteed cure or everyone would be doing it - but seeing how effective the testing process is I expect it does help a least a bit. And even if it doesn't it is just useful to use the NAETs for the testing - especially I'd guess if it is done alongside the IgG - if both identify an intolerance it means there probbly is one - if one test does and one doesn't then that would be a good food to start for food trials - in fact as I type this I think I've convinced myself to do the IgG test !! Will be interesting if you do the NAETs - we'll both be doing the same but in reverse - I'd be very interested to see what results we got !

The salicylates we are still not sure about - after removing many things with great improvements - he developed another intolerance we didn't know what to so the doctor suggested we do an elimination diet of salicylates and the results were immediate - but of course in the process we also eliminated corn and tomatoes amongst ther things - I am still not convinced it is salicylates he is intolerant to - it may be corn or tomoto or something else - i need to start food trialling him but want to find out first what the current intolerance is - I'm not convinced now it's buckwheat - he's been off it for over a week and while the cough is better it's not gone - I'm going to reintroduce the buckwheat next week and see what happens. You can test the sals with NAETs I just haven't got round to it yet, I always combine NAETs with some food trailling anyway  - but so far it's always been accurate for us.  

#25 of 61 Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM

i'm sorry to join so late in the game, but my 16 month old may have leaky gut after reading this...?  as a baby he was always phlemy and had reflux.  no eczema until 12 months old and milk was introduced.  then his eczema healed for the most part by eliminating dairy, casein, wheat/gluten, soy, nuts, eggs.  his tummy is still a little bumpy, almost like goosebumps...but not red or itchy.  so anyways, when he gets a cold, it lingers for like 2 weeks.  he's still phlemy much of the time.  i have noticed more and more that he is not digesting things properly.  his poops are always soft and grainy.  i'll find undigested lentils, sunflower seeds, raisins, cranberries, etc. in his poop.  the seeds didn't surprise me, but cooked lentils?  there were a ton in his diaper last week after i made lentil soup.  does this sound like leaky gut?

he gets a multivitamin with iron, vitamin C, and digestive enzyme (2 weeks so far) all pureed in my blender then he drinks with water.  he also takes cod liver oil once a day, and Klaire labs infant probiotic.

what am i doing wrong that he is still not having solid poops?  any ideas?

#26 of 61 Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Smithereens - if your son is intolerant to all the foods you have eliminated then leaky gut is always a possibility. It's hard for me to comment more as I don't have the answers. I do think though, if you are sure he has issues with food, then the more you can do to prevent gut damage or start the gut healing process the better, and as long as you aren't withdrawing nutrients that he can tolerate unnecessarily, then anything you do should only help. I wish I'd known what I know now a year ago so we could have prevented the damage getting so severe.

Ok where is everyone at ?

We are starting the bone broth thing today - Is anyone else doing it ? There are links about it in those first couple of thread I posted in the inital message - I've done loads of reading and it seems to be extremely beneficial for healing the gut. I can't get organic beef bones (or chicken) so instead am having to settle for hormone/antibiotic free chicken. I bought a whole one today and borrowed a friends slow cooker - I'm going to experiment this afternoon - sadly I am definately not a chef, so all of his is very new to me. I guess if you're used to making your own stock etc you'll have a lot more idea of what you are doing. This is my gut project for this week. Any tips or advice very welcome

Next weeks gut project is going to be water keffir if anyone else is interested in joining with that one. Again all tips and advice are very welcome.

#27 of 61 Old 04-19-2011, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Just got some new test results back and yeast is still high - which is annoying because after nearly a year of high probiotics, no sugar, wheat, fruit and everything else I was fairly confident it was going to be lower than it is. We will have to do a strict no candida diet now - which isn't that different to what we are doing just even more foods to take out - there will be nothing left at all soon literally !

#28 of 61 Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM

KKKK74, you're not alone!  I've discovered I have leaky gut and candida a year ago.  I took diflucan and most of my symptoms went away for about 3 months.  Then they all came back, and I have eaten no sugar, no grains, no fermented foods, no potatoes or starchy vegetables, no peanuts, no canned tomatoes, no vinegar, and only 1 apple a day and 1/4 c beans as carbs besides what is in low carb veggies...And still, if I slip up a bit, it all comes back.  This has been over a year, and I am so tired of eating meat and veggies only.  So tired of no variety.  And now I can't eat almonds because I ate too many of them...

Anyway, just wanted to commiserate and let you know you're not alone!

FWIW, I have learned, through LDA testing, that I am actually allergic to yeast, fungus and mold, and have been getting LDA shots.  I'm on my 2nd shot, and I have seen improvement.  This guys website is good:

http://www.drshrader.com/news.htm

Good luck!

#29 of 61 Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM

Kate - Thanks for explaining NAETs ... that sounds a bit crazy huh. Is the test blinded, or do you (as the parent) know which food is in the jar? It seems that could influence your responses internally somehow. Food trialing is so complicated... given a 3-4 window when you could have a response, so many other things change. It feels impossible to figure out sometimes! I really don't know where to start with that. What kinds of symptoms do you keep track of? Do you have a table or chart or how do you do it?

On our end, we decided to decrease the amount of meat we're giving DS and also added some vitamin C and that seems to have helped with pooping almost every day now. He's not as sluggish any more either. We have been having a  bad sleep week though. Really hard to fall asleep and waking up early... Someone told me omega 3's can cause hyperness, is that true or am I remembering wrong?

We are still doing digestive enzymes. I have no idea if they are working. His poop does look more uniform. I guess the main things that were undigested before were grains and beans, and he doesn't get any beans any more, and only gets quinoa flakes or "cream of buckwheat" which is hopefully well digested...

welcome smithereens! i don't know that much about leaky gut yet and i'm unsure about the undigested food in poop, but that is what we were having before too. At 16 months if he's still getting lots of milk (breastmilk?) then I would think the poops would be mushy. how mushy are you talking? I think it should be soft but somewhat formed, not runny. for now you could remove the foods that are totally undigested - maybe he is not chewing them that well either - or you could try pureeing the lentils for example to improve digestibility. I'm really glad you managed to figure out the causes of the eczema!  Do you have a doctor you're working with to try to figure this out?

also I was just reading today that cod liver oil might have too much vitamin A and interfere with vitamin D absorption. Does anyone know if that is true?

#30 of 61 Old 05-01-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

How's everyone doing ?

We've mostly had a good week I think. We got our new vitamin compound and have started that. To early to see results obviously but at least I now feel that he is getting some of the supplements I've wanted him to be on for a while. We've also got our glutathione cream - not sure if it's my imagination or not but he does seem particularly good natured since we started that and I'm sure I read on another thread that it may make him feel better almost immediately. His glutathione was low in his blood tests. He's still on the very high probiotic dose and I upped his enzyme to digest gold which is a stronger one than the Lacto one I started him on. The good news - we have much more solid looking poo ! I wouldn't go as far as to say completely normal and formed but definately less moussey and soft and no visible food (although we have been eating a very limited grain diet and lots of blended soup so may not be accurate representation). But still I'm feeling quietly confident that it is a result of the probiotics, enzymes and the candida diet.

Bone broth is going well (except I just found out that slow cookers have lead in them !!! you can't win with this stuff) and we are getting loads into him. Haven't started the water kefir but I have found someone who lives near with the seeds to get me started - so definately this weeks project is water kefir !

Kati - I thought generally omega 3's stop hyperness - but of course there is always the atypical one ! I know low magnesium can be linked to sleep issues with kids like ours - does he take magnesium supplements? DS's sleep improved when we introduced magnesium sulphate (epsom) baths and magnesium supplements. Hadn't heard about the cod liver A/D thing I'd be interested to read more I'll google it. His vit D is always low despite living in a country where it is sunny every day and I limit sunscreen as much as possible becasue of his vit D issues. And I'm sure we are giving cod liver oil to raise his vit D levels ???!!!  

Misty morning - It was interesting to read the LDA testing/shots stuff - Thanks 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page