IgG testing...need help, opinions...OVERWHELMED! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My seemingly healthy four year old was diagnosed w/ Benign Rolandic Epilepsy last spring.  This is basically a nighttime seizure disorder- the seizures are brought on by changes in sleep patterns.  After several EEG's showed lots of abnormal activity (mostly at night, but some daytime stuff too), and several 2nd/3rd opinions we decided to put her on a very low dose of med's to prevent seizures AND hopefully calm the EEG.

We are also seeing a integrative pediatric neruologist who is trying to help us get to the cause of these seizures.  We just did several testing by Metametrix (IgG/IgE and Organix Comprehensive panel) and Genova (CDSA- stool sample).

The IgG tests  (metametrix, blood test) showed Severe sensitivity (or do I call it allergy) to egg white and egg yolk, moderate to milk, casein, cashews, pistachios, soy, ginger.  All the IgE tests showed nothing.  I will try eliminating all of these from her diet but since she is showing no true 'allergy' symptoms, how can I ever re-intro???  the seizure med's are working beautifully for her, so lack of seizures would not tell me the foods were causing anything.

Can someone explain IgG vs. IgE to me?  How strict to I have to be?  If it is processed in facility w/ soy or casein can she still have it?

Thanks,

Brenda

#2 of 5 Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 PM

Hi - I'm new to this so I don't have much advice but I found this link on IgG vs IgE, in case you are still looking. Are there any other symptoms or behaviors you could try to follow to see if you notice changes? Good luck!! http://www.devdelay.org/newsletter/articles/html/134-allergy-or-chemical-reaction.html

#3 of 5 Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM

Greetings, I stumbled on this site while searching for some specific info regarding Genova Labs. I've worked with them, as a physician, since 1982 (when they were called Great Smokies Lab. The blood test for food allergies includes IgG and IgE.  IgE food allergies are those that cause the kind of food allergy most people think about: rash, hives, itching, shortness of breath, shock. Walnuts, lobster, shrimp and related foods are the main causes of IgE allergies, and IgE makes up 5% of all food allergies.

IgG food allergies have a totally different mechanism. The reaction to an offending food is delayed and can begin in several hours to several days. Without the blood test, it's incredibly hard to determine these delayed responses. The mechanism by which IgG allergies work has to do with leaky gut syndrome, which is caused by chronic intestinal infection or inflammation. Antibiotics, followed by intestinal yeast overgrowth, is a common cause of leaky gut syndrome. With leaky gut, the cells lining the GI tract lose their tight gap between one cell and another. After awhile undigested food particles can slip right into the blood stream. It can be anything: turkey, soy, carrots. Your immune system sees a bit of turkey, identifies it as foreign and makes an  antibody against turkey, so you have a food-antibody complex. These complexes deposit in body tissues everywhere.

With Genova's test, their results are listed  as zero, VL (very low), 1+, 2+, and 3+.

1+ results are listed in yellow, 2+ in pink, 3+ in magenta.

If you have 1+ allergies, you can rotate those foods, eating them twice a week or less.

If you have a 2+ allergy, you need to avoid that food for 3 months. If it's a 3+ allergy,

you need to avoid it for 6 months.

If the test has lots of VL (green) very low results, you don't have to do anything, but it does indicate

that leaky gut syndrome is developing.

I treated a 5 year old boy (I'll call  him Mark) with Asperger's Syndrome. Mom could only afford one lab test, so I decided on the food antibody test.

Mark was allergic to 85 of the foods tested for. He had a lot of 1+, some VL's,  and tons of 2+ and 3+ allergies. In other words,

he could only eat foods that were zero, VL, or 1+.  The test was worth it.  Mark had changed dramatically at 18 months old, for the worse. After 6 weeks on the new diet, he was a totally different person. Prior to the dietary change, Mark had been in the principal's office several times a week for “bad” behavior.  After several months on this program, the principal began approaching Mark, patting him on the back and telling him he was one of their best students.

I did tell mom at our first visit that, when  she could afford it, we had to test  for candida. I use an anti-candida antibody blood test to evaluate candida. Finally, Mark was tested for candida...and then treated. The treatment is another story. Treating the food allergies and candida cured Mark. I received a Christmas card that year from mom, saying that Mark had continued to improve and made the honor role.

So, with ADD/ADHD, which I personally treat rarely, the underlying chain of events I look for are: 1) infections, often middle ear, requiring 2) multiple rounds of antibiotics, which leads to 3) intestinal yeast/candida overgrowth, which over time leads to 4) leaky gut syndrome, which then leads to 5) delayed IgG food allergies.

Best,

David Gersten MD

#4 of 5 Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Can you please explain to me who/where you got this statistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavidgersten View PostIgE makes up 5% of all food allergies.

#5 of 5 Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM

I'll chime in with some personal experience... DD was found in January 2011 to be IgG reactive to eggs and soy. We used the Biotek Labs test. Doc said 6 months on a soy/egg free diet and then we should retest. We just got the results of the retest back and --- all healed!!! We're doing lots of probiotics, enzymes, and fiber for good gut health and maintence.. But we're able to slowly reintroduce the offenders once every 4 days and if no reactions (eczema, tummy troubles, etc...) we're good to go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page