two symptoms - what foods would you suspect? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like to eliminate something(s) from my 7yo's diet during this week that he's out of school, when I can keep a closer eye on him. I wish this had occurred to me last week! Now he has about 6 days and I'd like to start asap but I'm overwhelmed.  Could I list my concerns and someone might be able to recommend which foods to consider eliminating?

Not sure whether to eliminate lots and add them back in one at a time (much less practical as we have 4 kids and their school snacks are always different), or eliminate a few suspects first.  What do you think??

Our main concerns are -

1. Impulsiveness - not hyperactive in that typical sense - he can sit for long periods and does fine during most class time. But, he will walk by his brother and just kick him reflexively, no matter how many different ways we respond - redirection, consequences, dialogue... He's fairly defiant and seems totally resistant to normal gentle discipline. He's very physical, often bumping people or picking people up - sometimes I think he's got a sort of sensory-craving thing going on.

2. Toileting/digestion - (beware lots of poop talk) he has significant pooping accidents, not just a bit in the underwear.  The only way to prevent this is to sit him on the toilet twice a day no matter what.  If we happen to forget, he will poop in his pants.  He says he can't feel it, although it's possible he's saying that because he can sense our frustration (which we try to conceal!)  so I have no idea if he actually can't feel it.   His poops are weird - usually very skinny and small, sometimes normal size, usually floating, usually tan but not white/grey.

Other than the poops and the occasional irritability, he doesn't have so many of the symptoms of celiac disease, but I'm open to whatever suggestions people have.  

Thanks!!
Amy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM

#1.... Sounds like boy behavior to me.  I have 3 boys.  Not that it excuses anything.  But, my older two engage in what you describe all the time.  

#2.... First thing I think of is dairy when I read your description.  Especially big pooping accidents and not necessarily being able to feel it.  

Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAmom View Post

#1.... Sounds like boy behavior to me.  I have 3 boys.  Not that it excuses anything.  But, my older two engage in what you describe all the time.  

#2.... First thing I think of is dairy when I read your description.  Especially big pooping accidents and not necessarily being able to feel it.  

Oh, my old sig with the DS info is gone.  This boy is my 3rd of 4 boys, so I'm (all too) familiar with boy behavior.  I'm just saying, this is different and not age-appropriate. It's getting him into trouble with friendships and with how he feels about himself.

His older brother had some improvement when we removed dairy, so we may try that.  Some of what I've read about celiac and wheat - floating poop, etc, made me wonder about that.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Amy

Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM

I would definitely suspect gluten, and dairy usually goes along with gluten intolerance. Both my girls are gluten intolerant (oldest tested negative on blood test but responded HUGELY to a gluten free diet, Doctor didn't feel the need to test my youngest but she too has responded to gluten free diet). Mood changes can be part of a gluten intolerance, and the ribbon like stools and the tan colored stools and the floating stools...all too familiar.

As far as the poop accidents...we were having the hardest time getting our oldest to poop on the potty, and when she would go in her panties she wouldn't always know it was there. When we started researching gluten intolerance/celiac we went ahead and tried a gluten free diet and within a few weeks she was pooping in the potty. We decided to do a gluten challenge so we could get her tested and as soon as we reintroduced gluten she stopped using the potty,  3 months later and within a couple weeks backon gluten free she is pooping in the potty again.

If you do plan on testing I would get the testing done before trying the diet, just know that false negatives are very common.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

thanks! we're  on the second day with no dairy, and I guess we could add gluten but frankly, I just don't know how we'll do it once he's back to school.  Birthday cupcakes???

Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Holy wow! After one day of no dairy (come to think of it, no gluten since we did rice all day - does chipotle rice have any gluten? lol.gif) - he woke up with a dry pull-up.  That hasn't happened in months - I mean, rarely has it ever happened in his life.

praying.gif goodvibes.gif  Wasn't there once a smiley for keeping fingers crossed?  Oh mdc, I have missed you and your million smilies. 

I think I'm going to go remake my sig.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 PM

Hey, that is good news!  

BTW, my commiserations..... 4 boys is a lot!

User Tag List