question about pets and my dd food allergies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I searched and didn't find anything directly related (except 1 post that didn't really have any answers).

My dd has multiple food allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, soy, dairy).

We have a cat that is almost 13 years old.  We are adopting 2 new kittens.

With the adoption of the new kittens, my children want to take on more of the responsibility.  They want to help feed the cats.

Our 13 year old cat eats a cat food that does not contain any the items that dd is allergic to.  But I have discovered it isn't the best food out there and have been researching the option for her and for the new kittens.  I have found some good foods that I would like to try, however, they contain dairy.  All of the higher quality ones that I have found have some form of dairy, even if it is just the probiotics.

I am leery if having a cat food with dairy in it if my dd is going to help feed that cats.  I am also leery of a cat food with dairy, because what happens when the kitties groom themselves (licking their whole body) after eating dairy, then my dd wants to pet the kitties?  Will they then have a body covered in dairy?

Do I have too feed the cats lower quality food to keep my daughter safe?  Am I over thinking this?

#2 of 2 Old 04-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My extremely dairy-allergic son has been fine with the cats eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry cat food. Not sure if the Lactobacillus .. is from dairy but he hasn't had any problems with petting the cats while they eat this food.

Live and love with your whole being.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page