Diarrhea in kids since quitting allergen foods (eggs, dairy +) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A little over a week ago, I learned of the big kids' allergies and made the appropriate dietary changes.  The boy (5) and girl (3) and both allergic to eggs & dairy (all Igg allergies, btw.)  The boy is also allergic to several nuts, some legumes, and somewhat allergic to coconuts (every 4 days okay)  DD1 can have goat milk every 4 days, which she looks forward to.  Also, we've all been off gluten for several months - that allergy was confirmed in the boy, but didn't show up in the girl.  I'm playing it safe, though.

Until now, raw milk and cheese has been an everyday part of their diet.  The girl ate eggs, the boy did too, but under duress.  I had been using ghee, but the naturopath advised me to quit that, too.  They're drinking a bit more juice than they ever had before, but always diluted and less than a cup a day.  I've tried to get a bit of nettle infusion in them.

For the past few days, they've both had diarrhea - the explosive kind.  It's kind of snuck up on us and has been their only mode of elimination for the past three days.  Otherwise, they seem pretty fine.  No one else in the family is having symptoms.  FWIW, I quit eggs in the baby and she hasn't seemed at all different.  I think it must be the lack of dairy.  (I'm planning to put girl to bed in a diaper, since the middle of the night accidents are depleting her clean panty supply faster then we can do laundry.)

Soo, I'm new to this, but does the dietary change seem related?  I'd call the doc, but it's the weekend.  Did this happen to anyone else?  Will this resolve itself after a while?  Could it be (shudder) die off?  I feel so guilty!

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Are you giving them more of something that could be causing this reaction?  My DS would have explosive diarrhea if he had too much juice.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think it's the juice.  They have less (usually 1/2 cup) than a cup a day - always diluted and/or with a stir-in.  The ND prescribed probiotics & glutamine powder and sometimes I mix nettle tea with the juice. 

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 PM

too much fruit?  our kids have had weird poops too since dietary changes.  lots of soft poops/day, with some undigested food in them.  probiotics are helping, and having a good vegetable to fruit ratio :-)  also i have to skip giving my 1 year old extra vitamins since they seem to make him poop even more.  annoying!

also, are the kids getting enough iron?  or maybe they just have a bug that the rest of the family didn't contract yet.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Never mind.  It is a bug.  The baby has it, too.  yikes.gif

User Tag List