Food diary help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need help with my food diary that I've been keeping since 25th March. I've been writing things down in a notebook and I have been finding that it is so difficult to flip through all the pages and try to piece something together. Ugh. This is for my 14 month old and myself as she is still nursing.
Is there an free online way to do this or anyone have a template. There's some good info I think, I just can't put it all together.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#2 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 PM

I was just about to post something similar.  DD2 is 7 weeks old and is still reacting (blood streaked in stool, mucusy) despite cutting dairy. DS1 is 3 years old and I started journaling for him using a spiral.  Then I moved on to blogging with blogger.  It was nice to search through, but I wanted to be able to accurately graph stuff, and I was just wondering if more experienced journaling mamas could share.  I'm guessing excel would be a step up. Bumping in case anyone can share their method.

#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I used a legal pad.  I mark extra or new things as they happened.  After that I would see how often they happened and then look at the food listed on those days. 

My DH and I are trying to write a program to help do this and sort the data.  It is a side project and then we found out about a new addition so who knows if/when we'll get back to it.   If you have anything specific you would want to see in such a program, let me know that too and if it isn't already on my dream list, I will add it :)

Sorry that isn't much help now but that's all I got!

#4 of 5 Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 AM

I've just discovered myfitnesspal.com thanks to a friend.  It's got a food journaling feature that also keeps track of calories, and a huge database of foods including more "fringe" hypoallergenic products.  Then you'd be able to just go to whatever day you want on the calendar.  There's a notes section as well.  It's free and I've been doing better at keeping up with it because I find it fun.  After a couple of days I realized that it also gets me to write down my recipes for once!  It allows you to enter your recipes and then calculates calories, etc. for you.  It is by nature a somewhat imprecise thing, but I sure couldn't do better on my own!  Anyway, I've found it delightful, so thought I'd share.

#5 of 5 Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsgirl08 View Post

I was just about to post something similar.  DD2 is 7 weeks old and is still reacting (blood streaked in stool, mucusy) despite cutting dairy. DS1 is 3 years old and I started journaling for him using a spiral.  Then I moved on to blogging with blogger.  It was nice to search through, but I wanted to be able to accurately graph stuff, and I was just wondering if more experienced journaling mamas could share.  I'm guessing excel would be a step up. Bumping in case anyone can share their method.

Thanks for the bump. DD2 had mucus and tested positive for blood, for probably 7 months or so. It went away when I was free of gluten, dairy, corn, soy, nightshades, onions, nuts (except almonds), coffee, citrus. It was when I took out the corn, nightshades, coffee, and citrus that it went away, that and she started eating some foods. Even though now she's 14 months, she still has been getting the "ring" around her anus occasionally and still having more bad nights than good. When trying to piece things together in from the diary, it's confusing because sometimes something effects her an other times not. It's a delayed reaction so it's difficult to tell.
My husband mentioned using excel, but I'd have to figure out the best way to do that. Still thinking about that one.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page