Thoughts on coconut? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-08-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 10mo and is allergic/sensitive to corn, soy, gluten, dairy, and, it seems, all grains. Ugh. She gets stomach issues with all of these foods.

I'm wondering about introducing coconut/coconut milk/yogurt. When do folks normally do this? I think there's some debate about whether it's a high-on-the-list allergen or not. What should I look for and how long might it take if she's going to have a reaction? So far, none of the reactions are scary or strong -- they are all intestinal and, ultimately, bearable once the foods are out of her system.

Would love to hear opinions on this...

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#3 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't answer your question about when to start because we didn't even know about coconut milk until DS was around 2, but I will say that he has all the same sensitivities as your DD and then some and has had no trouble with coconut milk at all.  Rice milk was a major problem for him though.  I would just give it a try and see what happens.  Good luck!  I know how hard it is finding substitutues. 

#4 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM

I have a gluten, dairy, soy, and almond intolerant child who has been having grain issues lately.  She has no problem with coconut.  We eat coconut oil, coconut flour, coconut milk, and coconut yogurt. 

My best friend's child is allergic to gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, and all nuts except.......Coconut. 

The length of time to see a reaction, if there is one, depends on the child.  My DD reacts within 1/2 hr. to 1 day and her reactions are all intestinal with the exception of casein which is intestinal/behavioral. 

I would not see any harm in trying it if it is an intolerance.  You mentioned the word allergy but then said the reaction is intestinal which points to intolerance.  I know for true allergies (histamine response) that holding off on highly allergic foods helps to ensure that the allergy will not come strong later in life.  This is why many people do not give strawberries or peanut butter to young children.  An intolerance is different though and you would have no reason to withhold foods with high intolerance levels.  Does that make sense?

In my mind I would try it and at least you would know.  If it didn't work and you noticed a reaction then you can try again later. 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#5 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great advice here. Yes, I think it's intolerances that DD has, not true allergies. Her reactions are intestinal. DS has the same issues, though with fewer foods, and his are intestinal and behavioral. 

So, it's sounding like giving coconut a try is a good idea...choosing the right time, in case there's a reaction, now there's another question.

I very much appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

#6 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm interested in this b/c my son has big tummy troubles also and this may be an option for him.

Is the coconut milk being referred to the same kind that you use for cooking, the one that comes in a can?  Or is there another form of it that is used for drinking?

#7 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 PM

We use the SD coconut milk. We use the regular flavored and not the vanilla flavored. Vanilla extract usually contains corn, and we have corn allergies just like your DD. 

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#8 of 8 Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post

I'm interested in this b/c my son has big tummy troubles also and this may be an option for him.

Is the coconut milk being referred to the same kind that you use for cooking, the one that comes in a can?  Or is there another form of it that is used for drinking?

Its not the kind in a can, though I thought the same thing originally.  You buy it in the refridgerated section and it usually comes in 1/2 gallon cartons.  Silk and So Delicious are two brands that carry it and we can normally find it at Whole Foods, co-ops, and even a lot of mainstream grocery stores. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page