Mothering Forum banner

Can an allergy test cause gluten intolerance symptoms?

629 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mytwomonkies 
#1 ·
This may be kind of a strange question...DD2 is gluten intolerant, she has never had any celiac testing we've just figured it out by trial and elimination. We are very strict gluten free but occasionally we will get some cross contamination and when we do she gets a rash that I'm pretty sure is DH. Anyways, we took her to an allergist today (who by the way wasn't that great) and she had a skin prick test done. One of the foods they were testing for was wheat. Everything came back negative for allergies. A couple hours after the appointment I changed her diaper and the rash that had just flared up last week and was getting better looked a little blistered again. She's definitely cranky too. My question is, would exposing her to wheat on a skin prick test cause gluten intolerance symptoms?

#3 ·
I am gluten intolerant and trying to get tested for celiac disease after being GF for 1 year (per docs recommendation for safety of baby during pregnancy). I am supposed to VERY slowly add minute amounts of gluten to my diet for 6 weeks so they can do the biopsy. On the very first day, I added a piece of cereal. One piece of glutened cereal. The next day, my migraines, extremely low blood pressure, extreme fatigue, skin rash etc.. back like magic.f It took everything in me to get out of bed. 3 days in I stopped, and have not yet decided whether I'll go through with testing. Some people are THAT sensitive. Gluten makes me feel like my body is on complete shutdown, no matter how little.

#4 ·
Yeah, I already know she's extremely sensitive to gluten. Me and my 3 year old are also extremely sensitive. I didn't even think about the allergy test causing a gluten reaction until she started having symptoms very soon afterwards :(

anjsmama~~ I would not at all recommend doing a gluten challenge to get tested for celiac after being gluten free for a year. Me and my two girls all went through a 3 month gluten challenge and it was extremely miserable, the only reason we were able to last that long is because I'm extremely stubborn. I had both a negative blood test and negative biopsy but did have inflammation in both my stomach and esophagus, my 3 year old had a negative blood test, and after all that the doctor said he didn't feel like my 21 month old needed to test. We all have one of the genes that can be associated with celiac and we all 3 have major symptoms. False negatives are extremely high, especially after already being gluten free. Is there a reason you would need a diagnosis?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.