high calorie top-8 free shake? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Really quick, I'm currently eating top 8 allergen free as of last weekend, trying to figure out what's wrong with my 2 month son and 3 1/2 year old daughter.  She and I already know we're gluten intolerant and removed gluten over a year ago, but she still has problems, and my son seems to have more problems than both of us combined.  But now *I* have a problem too--between dietary restrictions and cranky baby care, I can't get enough calories!

Someone suggested a high-calorie shake, maybe something with coconut milk.  Any recipe suggestions?  Or other suggestions for keeping up my calorie count?  My body is really struggling with too few calories.

Crying baby, sorry to be so brief, thanks in advance!

#2 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 PM

I don't really have a recipe, I usually just make my smoothies to taste. I'm not really sure how many calories are in our smoothies but here's what I usually put in them: Frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, fresh spinach, rice protein, honey, and almond milk. Sometimes I'll also add either coconut flour or ground flax for fiber and almond butter for some extra fat. You can also add olive oil or coconut oil for some extra fat. Hope this helps!

#3 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 PM

I would try:

2 frozen bananas

1 avocado

2 T cocoa powder

1 T honey

1/2 tsp vanilla

and coconut milk to desired thickness.

Should come out somewhat like a chocolate shake.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 PM

You could also buy some of the coconut ice cream in the stores, and then add rice milk or something to water it down - it would be the most milk shake like but still taste really good. I've been having the same issues trying to get calories in. I'm currently tandeming our 4 week old and almost 3yo, and off of gluten, dairy, soy, egg, tomato, avocado and banana. What I have been doing is eating a LOT of what I can eat. It's not necessarily the most balanced diet, but I figure calories are more important now.

Can you do rice? I make mac and cheese with coconut milk cheese and rice noodles and it is really good and high in calories. Plus, it's very filling. I also try to have protein in everything - I think they have rice protein powders you could add to the shake for extra protein. I have some more recipes if you want, but baby is fussing - PM me if you are interested :)

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#5 of 7 Old 05-28-2011, 05:47 PM

I'm not sure which, exactly, are the top 8 (I have a good idea).

We don't do smoothies that much, but I think the ideas you've had so far are good.  I think a can of coconut milk like you make curry with would be better (fattier) than the coconut milk they sell as a milk alternative.  Just put half a can in the blender and add whatever frozen or fresh fruit you like to eat -- bananas tend to make sweet, creamy, yummy smoothies, but some people don't tolerate them well.  Berries are awesome, I also peel and core apples and pears for smoothies.  Veggies, especially greens can be a great addition.  Really, just throw some fruit and your milk substitute in there and blend it up.  Add more stuff if you need to.  Add a little maple syrup if it's too tart.

Avocados and guacamole if you have time to make it are so great for breastfeeding.  Also, my ds won't eat avocado, but if I make guac he eats it with a spoon!

Refried beans with lots of olive oil are super delicious and filling.  You're probably off corn, but you can just eat them, or top them off like a taco salad with lettuce, grated carrot, avocado or guacamole, olives, etc.

Can you eat nuts?  A handful of nuts a few times a day can really help with calories.

Potatoes?  They can really help you feel good and full -- sautee a bunch of onions and mushrooms (protein and minerals!) in olive oil and have them over potato with other veggies.

Oooh!  We make this tahini mushroom gravy that is awesome over millet.  Steam the millet just like rice -- it is good to roast it (stirring constantly) in the dry pan until it is aromatic before adding the water to help get rid of the bitterness.  Soaking might help with that too.  For the gravy, sautee onions and mushrooms in olive oil, add minced garlic, season with salt, put some tahini in a jar with water (probably half and half?) and shake it until smooth -- you can do this in a blender if you prefer.  Pour the tahini into the pan and cook with veggies for a few.  Eat it over the millet with steamed veggies.

And as a pp said, eat a lot of what you can eat, and just keep eating!

#6 of 7 Old 05-28-2011, 05:50 PM

top 8, for those unsure, are dairy, soy, peanuts, nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat (some include gluten but technically it's just wheat) and eggs.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#7 of 7 Old 05-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_miss_understood View Post

top 8, for those unsure, are dairy, soy, peanuts, nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat (some include gluten but technically it's just wheat) and eggs.

Well, I guess the handful of nuts is out ; )  But that means you can have corn tortillas or corn chips with the guacamole and beans.

But, I was thinking of gomasio, toasted sesame seeds ground with salt and sometimes seaweed.  You can make your own or buy it at the store.  It is SO good on brown rice.  Also yummy on steamed veggies, salads, etc.  Adds a protein and fat boost.

Do you eat meat?  I mean, meat has plenty of protein and fat.  When I was on an elimination diet, lamb tasted SO good to me.  I would make a stew with browned lamb chunks, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper, olive oil, and a little water and bake it covered for a couple hours.  It was heaven to my starving, breastfeeding body!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page