Milk allergy and eczema ~ Culturelle question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!

My 3 year old daughter is allergic to milk, mold and mildew. I would consider her eczema severe. We try our best to contain it and I have read that Culturelle may be good to take. I was thinking of giving it to all 4 of my kids ranging from 3-15. It is sooo expensive though. Can adult Culturelle be given to children? For instance can I spilt a capsule or packet amongst the 3 youngest children? Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

I would also like to add that we have eliminated milk from her diet and her eczema got slightly better but did not completely go away. I breastfed for 22 months and her symptoms did not appear until I stopped breastfeeding. There must be something else in her diet causing the issue so I have tons of other questions for other forums and hopefully I may even have some answers to help others as well :) So for now, I will just start with the Culturelle question so as not to bombard you guys. :)

#3 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM

I would make sure you're using the dairy-free Culturelle, of course.  I think it's perfectly fine to give probiotics to a child, however, I would personally stick with fermented foods.  I gave my now 15 month old some probiotics from a pill when she was younger and it just gave her the runs. 

Good Belly is a water-based probiotic drink. 

And, your dd is old enough for a blood allergy test.  I would suggest that, too.  It's good to know exactly what all you're working with, allergy-wise.

Good luck!

4busybees likes this.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#4 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I have been trying to research milk free probiotic drinks. We had a blood panel done last March (2010) Would you advise that I get another one? Thanks again!

#5 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Custom Probiotics is a great brand.  Dairy/gluten and a bunch of other stuff free.  It is pricy up front but a $165 bottle lasts a long time (the kids scoop is super small!)  I think when I calculated it out the bottle will last us 10 months.  We add it to a little water and Org. Torani syrup in the morning and at night and have never had a problem getting the kids to take it.

I have hear a lot of people react from Culturelle even though they say it is dairy free (it still lists whey on it).

4busybees likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Where does it list whey?  I did not see it on the box that I purchased today...I bought both the Kids powder & the adult capsules...

#7 of 8 Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

I have hear a lot of people react from Culturelle even though they say it is dairy free (it still lists whey on it).

This is interesting! I didn't see them listing whey for the dairy-free one and I emailed an enquiry to them; it's supposed to be cultured on pork muscle or something. But my preschooler did react to it big time. We stopped it just after three days because his flare-up became so bad.

#8 of 8 Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsgirl08 View Post

Where does it list whey?  I did not see it on the box that I purchased today...I bought both the Kids powder & the adult capsules...

My original post was a month or so ago and I had been at Whole Foods and looked and it did list whey.  I don't remember what kids it was (kids v. adults).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page