Singulair for a runny nose - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 8-month old DD has had a runny nose since she was two months old.  I eliminated dairy and soy, and I thought it got better, but now it seems to be still hanging around, and I don't know what it's from.  Maybe not even food-related, I'm thinking.  I don't think I can do a full elimination diet.  Her pediatrician suggested Singulair - she thinks there is some evidence that Singulair positively affects the immune system, and might even help avoid allergies later.  I'm struggling a bit with the idea of giving a daily drug for essentially a runny nose - the runny nose itself is really not a problem, but she's been getting ear infections from it, and has had 3 courses of antibiotics so far.  She also doesn't sleep well, and is clearly worse if I screw up the elimination diet, but it's not TERRIBLE - cosleeps, and nurses every 2 hours or so on good nights. (Bad nights, I am up and down with her, sometimes have to sleep holding her, or have to bounce her back to sleep. But not like inconsolable crying or anything.)  And probably there were more ear infections that I didn't take her in for, but just waited out.  The pediatrician thinks if the Singulair clears up her congestion, it's better than repeated antibiotics.  I think the other option would be tubes to help her ears drain, but she might not be quite old enough yet, or she needs more officially diagnosed ear infections to be a candidate for that.  
Any thoughts, or does anyone have any experience with Singulair with an infant?

Bethany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you google Singulair side effects in children, you can find websites with some REALLY serious complaints about aggressive behavior, night terrors, and more. No way I would ever put an infant on that stuff. I'm really curious too how it is supposed to "help" the immune system???

I would say that there is probably still a food in your diet that is bothering her if she's continuing to have ear infections and a runny nose and isn't sleeping well. You don't necessarily need to do a full elimination diet, you could start by taking out all the top common allergens- dairy, soy, gluten, eggs, nuts/tree nuts, fish/shellfish, corn.

Are you keeping a food journal? If you make sure to vary your diet every day (don't eat the same things over and over), you should eventually be able to spot patterns in symptoms with what you eat.

Also, since she's already had antibiotics so many times, her gut is probably low on good bacteria, and that could be contributing to her reacting to things. You might try a good dairy-free probiotic for her and see if that helps.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page