Elimination Diet for a Vegan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We saw the dermatologist today about eczema, and he said that it is unrelated to diet.  However, the last 4 days I ate primarily millet, apples, and cucumbers, and baby's skin made vast improvements. 

What can I eat on an elimination diet/ rotation diet as a vegan, and still get enough calories to exclusively breast feed?

#2 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Those are a lot of limitations.  I wouldn't feel comfortable doing and elimination diet without seeing a really good nutritionist (which can be hard to come by!)   Something like 80% of eczema is NOT diet related (more likely environmental).  

#3 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

; Something like 80% of eczema is NOT diet related (more likely environmental).  

I have a really hard time believing that, especially for a baby (environmental allergies don't usually appear that young.) Can you share where you found that statistic?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

; Something like 80% of eczema is NOT diet related (more likely environmental).  

I have a really hard time believing that, especially for a baby (environmental allergies don't usually appear that young.) Can you share where you found that statistic?

I agree with you.  However the stats could still be true depending on what they were evaluating (like for a sensitivity they may not control for the delay or some silly nonsense.)

#5 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Review: special diets, including egg and cow’s milk exclusion, a few-foods diet, and an elemental diet, are not effective in unselected cases of atopic eczemaEvid Based Med 2008;13:138

This is one (though it is a paid site, you may be able to find the study elsewhere)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2008.01917.x/full

Which states "Food allergy may be an important factor in up to 20% of children with atopic eczema under 4 years (2)." which would mean that 80% it is not an important factor.

#6 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM

yes, I totally believe that they came up with that.  I just don't believe the numbers for myself.  I've seen too much evidence to the contrary.  I'm NOT saying that all eczema is food allergies at all, just that 20% seems way off base.

#7 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM

I have 2 kids, one with a long list of FA and has never had eczema.  One with NO FA's and has eczema.  I don't' put a ton of stock in stats BUT in our case it's true :)  That said, I believe DD's are environmental issues.  Trying to track that down is another issue!

#8 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 04:02 PM

I don't believe that all or even most kids with FA will have eczema.  our systems can all be affected in very different ways!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page