Raw Dairy v. Pasteurized Dairy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2011, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've heard from some people that those with diary allergies should be able to consume raw dairy products (aka straight from the cow/goat) when they have an extreme allergy to milk protein. Have any of you tried this? I developed a severe dairy allergy and hate thinking I will never have any butter, cheese, ice cream, etc. again! I'm really not a fan of all these processed veggie oils, so would love to hear from those who have made it work. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If it is a true IgE allergy, no. They still have the same proteins so one would be allergic to them both.  If it's an intolerance, possible.  Also, the proteins between goat and cow are so similar that an allergy to one usually indicates an allergy to both.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Indeed, milk allergies are milk allergies.  I did notice with my severely allergic daughter that goat milk produced a slightly milder and different reaction, not so severe but unignorable.  I tried this when we first discovered the allergy.  

I have allergies myself, and as adults we can experiment and try different things.  I am allergic to eggs, but I'll let myself have a piece of birthday cake once in a while.  Some stuff is absolutely out, though.  So, if you are comfortable with it, try some goat butter and see what happens.  I know when I first eliminated corn I was pretty lax because it is hard to eliminate.  In time, I noticed the symptoms more clearly and with smaller amounts.  Now, I choose to be more strict about not indulging in something with corn derivatives.

I will also say, just slightly off the topic, that raw milk does a number on my digestion.  I am lactose intolerant but have very mild symptoms, being able to consume yogurt and cheese and tiny amounts of plain, pasteurized milk.  But raw milk?  I even tried taking tiny amounts every day but after 5 days my bowels ached so much I had to finally give up on raw milk.  Something is in there besides lactose that really pains me, no matter the brand or the species.  Ouch!

If you are not vegetarian, bacon grease is really nice to cook with.  Organic Prairie makes a bacon that has plenty of fat on it and we can fry it up and get quite a bit, plus some bacon munchies to eat.  I've even seen a recipe for ginger cookies made with bacon grease!  Not that this is a perfect substitute.  Chicken fat skimmed from the broth of stewed chicken can be a nice beginning to sweating veggies for soups.  Pork fat (especially spiced!) does similar wonders for food ending up in something spicier, like chili or even fried eggs (ooohhh, I miss eggs!).  

For most baking, we use Spectrum shortening.  It's made from palm oil, so there are environmental consequences with that, but it is unhydrogenated (and we don't have a lot of options).  Coconut fat is pretty tasty as a spread, but we find it undigestible.  Another intolerance, I think!

Good luck!  I offer you all of my sympathies.  Giving up favorite foods is not easy.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

User Tag List