Lactose intolerance in 6mo baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just back from my pedi and it looks like my 6.5mo might be lactose intolerant, based on his stool tests. We've been struggling with slow weight gain since he was a few weeks old. I understand this would be rare, but our theory is that he had a nasty stomach bug when he was a few weeks old (dh and ds1 had it too) and developed temporary LI from that. But it's not all adding up. (I've read the stool test can be hard to get an accurate result from a diaper poop, which it was.) His poop is watery but it's not diarrhea - once a day max. He is a happy baby and isn't suffering from gas pains or stomach pains that I can tell, which is supposed to be common in LI. And I've read that temporary LI usually clears up by itself after a few weeks, but it's been months. So??? The pedi wants me to start giving him lactaid drops and to keep breastfeeding like normal. From what I understand there is no harm in doing that.

I would LOVE lactose intolerance to be the problem! It seems such as easy fix compared to all that we've been worried about! Does anyone have any experience with LI in babies this young? Will his gut ever heal? Will he start to fatten up once I start giving him lactaid please oh please?? If anyone has any experience on this I would love to hear your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Have you considered eliminating dairy from your diet to see if his stools normalize? Wheat is also a big culprit when it comes to slow weight gain and abnormal stools...

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I am vegan, so no dairy already, though obviously wouldn't help with the lactose in my breast milk - I assume you are thinking dairy allergy? Also I have celiac so no wheat/gluten already. Have also tried an elimination diet with the other biggies - no help. :(

Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM

What sort of stool tests are they doing to determine it "might" be lactose intolerance? If it was, I would think he would be very sick, not just gaining slowly. It's more likely that he has an allergy/intolerance to something in your diet. Soy is a very common allergen, as are eggs, gluten, and corn. If you eat soy, I would cut that out of your diet first and see if anything changes.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

It was a reducing substances stool test which showed sugars in his stool, suggesting he isn't absorbing lactose well. The test isn't conclusive but lactose intolerance is the working theory at the moment.

The type of LI it is suggested he has is temporary or secondary and, no, it wouldn't necessarily cause him to be very sick, assuming you mean more than some digestive issues. The congenital type would and would have been known within days likely of his birth. And he obviously doesn't have the developmental type, not sure what it's called, where people outgrow their ability to digest lactose.

I've already taken out soy and corn and it didn't make a difference, and don't eat dairy, eggs, or gluten. There is no evidence that it's an allergy or intolerance to something in my breast milk, other than lactose.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Wow! You've hit on all the biggies already...Rats!!

Have you tried the lactaid yet?

I know not everyone believes in the eat right for your blood type diet, but it has worked wonders for me. Perhaps there is something you're eating that wouldn't normally be considered an allergen that your babe is reacting to that is causing the lactose intolerance...? I'd be happy to look at the food lists and offer suggestions if you know your blood types, and would like the info.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

Wow! You've hit on all the biggies already...Rats!!

Have you tried the lactaid yet?

I know not everyone believes in the eat right for your blood type diet, but it has worked wonders for me. Perhaps there is something you're eating that wouldn't normally be considered an allergen that your babe is reacting to that is causing the lactose intolerance...? I'd be happy to look at the food lists and offer suggestions if you know your blood types, and would like the info.

Can we use Lactase Enzyme Supplementation for 6-10 mo babies

Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 PM

I honestly don't know. I've not come across anyone that uses digestive enzymes for their baby. If you haven't already I'd google search like mad and see what comes up.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

A friend of mine gave Lactaid to her baby due to blood in his stool and it cleared up as long as he was on it.  Sorry the experience is not first hand.

Slight correction: she gave drops to her baby for lactose intolerance.  I don't remember if it was "Lactaid" or not.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM

If it was me, I think I would try therapeutic levels of probiotics (given directly to the baby) before giving Lactaid drops.  From what you've said, it sounds like maybe his system got wiped out when you all had the stomach bug and he's never fully recovered to the baseline of proper digestion.  If you do decide to go the probiotics route, you may want to touch base with a naturopath or someone similar who can recommend the best one for your little one.  Since he's having issues most likely you will want a probiotic that is not cultured in any of the top allergens (dairy, wheat/gluten, soy, corn, etc.).  They are harder to find and a bit more expensive but worth it.

Good luck mama.  I hope you find something that helps soon.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 PM

nod.gif  Have you had thrush? DD (6 m/o) never really got all the yeast issues cleared from her gut after I had thrush. She had all the exact issues you are mentioning -  strange watery once-a-day max stools due to temporary LI. I have celiac so no gluten anyhow, plus I had removed dairy from my diet. I also did a total elimination diet (think pears and wild salmon...) to no avail. Her ped (who practices holistic medicine combined with conventional) recommended probiotics, thinking possibly the yeast had not cleared her gut and was causing the LI.  Within a week, normal stools. If I locate them I will send you the brand name too just in case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View Post

If it was me, I think I would try therapeutic levels of probiotics (given directly to the baby) before giving Lactaid drops.  From what you've said, it sounds like maybe his system got wiped out when you all had the stomach bug and he's never fully recovered to the baseline of proper digestion.  If you do decide to go the probiotics route, you may want to touch base with a naturopath or someone similar who can recommend the best one for your little one.  Since he's having issues most likely you will want a probiotic that is not cultured in any of the top allergens (dairy, wheat/gluten, soy, corn, etc.).  They are harder to find and a bit more expensive but worth it.

Good luck mama.  I hope you find something that helps soon.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

Old 07-30-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I started him on lactase drops a few weeks ago but no changes in his stool or in weight gain. :( I've also started him on probiotics, but am not consistent enough with those - keep forgetting, need to be better!

We've been referred to a pediatric GI and have an appointment in a few weeks. Will see what the doc says. I've read that the lactase drops don't work for a lot of people so it might still be LI. It could also be the LI is a symptom of something else going on. I'll make sure I give him the probiotics more consistently though in the meantime, along with the lactase drops, and see if that improves things! Am also considering giving him some lactose-free formula in a sippy cup each day (if he'll drink it) to see if a little bit of lactose-free milk helps at all. I just wish he'd get some fat on him! He's over 7 months now and tiny. I'm worried about him getting sick and his lack of fat meaning he has no reserves etc - and, well, he has had two colds in the last month, which probably hasn't helped with weight gain!

Sigh. Some day we will figure this out! Or not - and he will just start gaining and we will have no idea why!!

User Tag List