Eczema and Rash on mouth, chin, and cheeks- trying to find cause- frustrated! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Sometime around January of 2011, dd (now 22 mo) developed a small cluster of tiny pimple-like bumps on her chin.  It stuck around for some time without changing, then gradually the pimple got larger and more spread out.  Some days it would appear to be clearing up and then would flqare up.  Eventually it came to spread to all around her mouth,chin, and a bit on her cheeks...no nose though.  And now it also appears like red, dry blotches as well as the bumps.  I am not sure whether milia is also a symptom of allergies, but she also has had milia on her cheeks and the backs of her arms since maybe the fall.

She also developed eczema breifly as an infant and went away on its own.  And once again this past fall.  Her doc said to bathe her less, don't use soap, anf put some OTC hydrocortisone 1% cream.  The combination of these healed it up untill right around the time that the rash was at it's peak.  Then it returned, worse than it had ever been.  It usually comes to the same spot on her chest.  And this time it was also on her hips.

Around this time, (June 1st) we switched to a naturopathic dr and began to try the elimination diet, started her on a probiotic, and essential fatty acids (especially the EPA b/c it is good for the skin).  Our first 4 thing we tried were wheat, soy, dairy, and eggs.  Both she and I eliminated them b/c I am still BF.  After a week, the eczema faded away and the rash look better.  We reintroduce wheat and things seemed okay.  Dairy produced a larger reaction, so she has not had dairy since.  I have allowed myself a little bit, such as buttered toast, but this is a vast difference considering we are Weston A. Price followers and have had lots of raw and cultured dairy in our diet. 

We don't each much soy anyway, but no strong reaction with that one.  It had been getting more difficult to tell though because slowly the rash was getting better and then worse again...like the dairy is likely an allergy, but there must be something else in her diet that is also causing a reaction.  So now we have elininated peanuts, corn, and tomatoes.  During this elimination things initially looked better than they have in a while, but yesterday and today her face looks aweful.  I have diaried, but the things she has been eating this week are primarily foods that seem pretty safe...except for maybe strawberries and blueberries.  I am going to stop letting her have these tomorrow.

I just want to figure this out.  It is so frustrating.  And I do my best to eliminate everything she is too, except the no dairy thing has been the one thing I have cheate on.  How important do you think it is that I stringently avoid dairy?  I was assuming that because she doesn't nurse all that much anymore anyway, and my production is low, that she couldn't possibly be getting much from me.

This is hard b/c there has been no complete improvement with the removal of any food.

Do I just have to keep trying to eliminate and reintroduce foods and look for rections (however subtle)?  Also, how do I judge a reaction when I cannot seem to clear up her skin for long enough.  It would be easier if her skin would clear up and then I introduce a food and notice a rash appear.  The rash has been coming and going whole time.

Sorry for the frustrated ramble...this whole thing is beginning to make me grumpy. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Bumps can simply be a sign of sensitive skin.  I know the pimples around the chin area has some special name, and dermatologists simply treat it with a greaseless antibiotic ointment (not necessarily advocating that route, but it does work.)  But I also find that existing skin conditions can flare up when consuming allergens.  For me they NEVER go away entirely, even when my diet is clear, but then I have environmental allergies too so my body is always in a state of high alert.

As for the dairy in breastmilk question, if she did have a big reaction when you reintroduced it, then I would absolutely eliminate it entirely from your diet for as long as you continue nursing.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

But I also find that existing skin conditions can flare up when consuming allergens.  For me they NEVER go away entirely, even when my diet is clear, but then I have environmental allergies too so my body is always in a state of high alert.

Thanks so much for responding.  I know she does have sensitive skin, but I never quite thought of it this way.  I guess I got really frustrated when the eczema cleared up after removing dairy, but the pimples keep flaring up.  Funny, in the past couple of days, though, they look better than they had in months.  The ways things have been going, though, they are likely to return unless we can rule out any other dietary stuff.  I plan to use the rotation diet for other high allergens as well because it is possible that she could develop sensitivities if she eats too much of them. I appreciate your input.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I find those little pimples go away after a good, strong, unadulterated dose of summer sun.  At least until fall....

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

User Tag List