Nut allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok so here is our story, I have 3 children and the older 2 have really bad environmental allergies and have had food sensitivities to wheat, dairy and eggs. So I've been trying to be careful with those things with my 9 month old. We started him on food about 2 months ago and have mostly just been doing fruits and veggies. I did give him a small piece of cracker once with he broke out with red bumps around his mouth. And then tonight I was eating a homemade Laura Bar and I gave him 2 very small pieces(they have pecans, walnuts, raisins, cocoa, and coconut in them) and he reacted within minutes, he had big red hives all over his mouth with white spots in the middle and it started spreading to his ear and he got a few on his chest and back. We immediately gave him benadryl and within about 20-30 minutes it started to die down. Does this sound like a nut allergy to you? And also I'm wondering what to do, I took video and pictures and I'm thinking of seeing if we can get him in with our allergist. We actually have an epipen because my husband was giving himself allergy shots at home. Our ped is okay but I don't vax so we don't go on a regular basis and I'm thinking it would save a step if we could just get him directly into the allergist. Like I said the other to have gotten red bumps around there mouth but nothing like this it was very scary. I have no experience with nut allergies or anaphalactic reations, so I would love advice from anyone who knows about these things. 

#2 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I would keep the nuts far far away and make an appt. with the allergist ASAP!  I would skip the ped if you can.

It does sound like a reaction that could develop into an ana reaction.  Any GI issues?  Or breathing trouble?  Diaper issues that day or the day after?

FWIW, if nuts are the only issue, it's pretty easy to avoid.  Things need to be labeled and all  (yes some things have issues but generally...)  People who are allergy aware seem to be MOST allergy aware of nut/peanut allergies so that is a good thing.

#3 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No breathing issues but we were watching him really close in case we needed to call 911 or use the pen. IT was just a few hours ago so no diaper issues yet. We were just amazed at how quickly he reacted over such a small amount. It's very scary.

#4 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BekahJ View Post

No breathing issues but we were watching him really close in case we needed to call 911 or use the pen. IT was just a few hours ago so no diaper issues yet. We were just amazed at how quickly he reacted over such a small amount. It's very scary.

It doesn't take much for some kids.  Keep a close eye on him.  I know you said you have epi pens but the one for adults are a higher dosage so I am not sure you should grab that if there is an issue or call 911.  Again, I would just get to the allergist ASAP (I know, these things ALWAYS happen on the weekends!)  I know it can take some time to get in to the allergist.  Maybe the Doc will call in an epi pen for the baby while you are waiting or maybe you may want to call your ped for that.

#5 of 5 Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Kids need and "EpiPen Jr.", not an adult EpiPen.  Your insurance, if you have it, might require a referral or they won't pay.  Show the pics to your ped.  A referral will be no trouble, it's pretty obviously an allergic reaction.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page