Allergen-free cooking help needed! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD cannot eat dairy or anything with citric acid in it (this includes tomatoes, berries, citrus and nearly every processed food out there). We're kind of in a rut in terms of dinners and I'd love if anyone here has any ideas/recipes for dinners that don't have these foods in them. Bonus if they are easy, quick and meatless (we eat meat but are trying to save money). Extra bonus if they are wheat-free as I think we're going to be heading down that road as soon as I can get myself organized to do it.

It's okay in the summer but I'm dreading the fall/winter seasons as it's SO hard to find recipes for one-pot meals that don't have either dairy, tomatoes and/or lemon in them.

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 AM

I am linking a diet catagory for IC as it is citric (or mostly citric) free. It might have some better choices. Like scroll to the fruit section you'll see cranberries are highly acidic but pears are the least acidic. I found for myself blueberries to be too hard on me but pears were ok.

I'm not sure her exact allergies but the citric part stood out,

http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

potassium in IC patients also acts as a irritant. After years of healing I find I am now tolerating things like bananas.

soups.. I'm thinking lentils, rice, carrots, quinoi (ancient wheat free pasta), veggie seasonings...

I know how hard it is to avoid tomatoe and milk based stuff because that's like everything. Dh fed dd a french fry and a strawberry and she was beat red the next day :(

#3 of 5 Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM

we don't eat dairy but we do eat tomatoes. We don't eat citric acid in food because in the US it's almost always made from corn and my kids and I couldn't do corn. Pad Thai would fit the bill (only because I made it tonight so it's forefront in my brain), fried rice (with or without meat), braised pork and cabbage or pork and kraut in the slow cooker. Chicken soup (homemade) or turkey soup, roast chicken with gravy, salisbury steak with gravy, baked beans (I've done my recipe without tomato paste in it because my SIL couldn't have tomato), I'll try to think of some more... black beans and rice...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 5 Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Check out my blog- lots of recipes on there: www.allergicadventures.com ds1 can't do dairy & he used to not have citrus. Some things that come to mind: burritos, soup, curry, pad Thai, pot pie...I've made a really good dairy-free stroganoff with coconut milk before, I got the recipe via google! HTH!

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

#5 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM

today I did a stir fry with rice stick noodles, leftover pork, garlic, and a little sesame oil and coconut aminos (like soy sauce). It turned out really good. It was different, that's for sure.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page