Possible food allergies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

LO is going to be 9 months next week.  She eats a pretty large variety of foods.  She has had eczema from pretty much the beginning, and it's not something I ever worried too much about because I have eczema, so I thought it was hereditary and nothing we could do about it.  

As she's been progressing with new foods, her eczema has gotten worse and worse.  It's spread over her shoulders and knees, and her cheeks are always red.  There are little red bumps in all of these areas, some with pus in them.  Until...well, today, I did not make the connection between her skin condition and food.  All of my research had been on the best skin-care methods, and whether I should be using something better than what I am.

As of today we've cut wheat out of her diet, but honestly I'm not well informed on gluten allergies and what contains gluten.  I have seen some other resources online mention elimination diets, but not what that entails.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Her 9 mo appointment is next week, and I am afraid her pedi will just suggest 1% hydrocortizone and call it good (which is what she did when we first asked about the eczema).  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM

sounds like food allergies to me. My ped. has a holistic perspective and told me that food intolerances/allergies usually manifest first as cradle cap and then eczema. I think there is an allergy forum you could check out. We have struggled a lot with my baby not tolerating foods through my breastmilk so I've done a lot of research on food allergies.

I would definitely take out wheat and dairy to start and then see if there are any improvements. You could also do some research on the GAPS diet. I'm on this now to hopefully heal my gut and baby's gut (food intolerances are a sign of 'leaky gut')...

anyway-- I hope that gives you some ideas

Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleentara View Post

sounds like food allergies to me. My ped. has a holistic perspective and told me that food intolerances/allergies usually manifest first as cradle cap and then eczema. I think there is an allergy forum you could check out. We have struggled a lot with my baby not tolerating foods through my breastmilk so I've done a lot of research on food allergies.

I would definitely take out wheat and dairy to start and then see if there are any improvements. You could also do some research on the GAPS diet. I'm on this now to hopefully heal my gut and baby's gut (food intolerances are a sign of 'leaky gut')...

anyway-- I hope that gives you some ideas

yeahthat.gif  DS & I both have celiac (most severe gluten intolerance) . His first symptoms as a baby were cradle cap and eczema (though, like you, I didn't know that at the time.... never did get him diagnosed until 2.5 years). Pretty sure DD has it too, because of the junky flora she's getting through my breastmilk, so we are working on gut-healing around here too. The ladies in the Allergies forum in Health & Healing have all kinds of good knowledge innocent.gif.  As far as gluten containing foods, if you are looking to eliminate - gluten is a protein in wheat, barley, and rye, and all of their derivatives (google will give you a big ole' list!). Oats also have a similar protein that the body treats very similarly to gluten, so you may want to avoid them for full elimination purposes. 

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

Old 08-16-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

You both bring up a very good point about the cradle cap, yet another thing I had no clue was associated with food allergies.  I have struggled with her cradle cap for months,it's finally about 95% gone after several olive oil treatments.  I will check out the Allergies forum, thanks!

User Tag List