Mothering Forum banner

What is your favorite laundry detergent for eczema?

• All Free & Clear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ecos Free & Clear

• Charlies Soap

• Bio Kleen

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Soap Nuts

• Allen's Naturally

• Country Save

• Dropps

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Rockin Green

• Sport Wash

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other

What is Best Laundry Detergent for Eczema?

40K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  JRoberge 
#1 ·
My DD has eczema, and I've read that detergents can aggravate it. We use Ecos Free and Clear detergent, but I want to try something different to see if it helps. Any suggestions? We also use cloth diapers, so I am hoping to find something that can wash both clothes and diapers.

#2 ·
I'm curious to what people have to say about this too. I picked Rockin' Green as a total shot in the dark when I decided to cloth diaper. (DS got rashes from almost everything, and so we decided to try cloth...and then our lives took a whole other turn toward crunchy and it's been the best thing EVER!).

Anyway, my DS has eczema too, but it started before we switched to Rockin'....I had really wanted to try Crunchy Clean, but their pay pal thing was down when I tried to order it, and I needed to get something quick.

#3 ·
We like seventh generation (unfragranced) and we use a tiny amount.

BTW, my youngest son had extremely sensitive skin in his first year, and we found that cloth diapers made his rashes much worse. (A shame as I was hugely committed to the idea of them and we tried several types). Disposables gave him a rash where the elastic met the skin, but seventh generation worked ok.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmummy View Post

We like seventh generation (unfragranced) and we use a tiny amount.

BTW, my youngest son had extremely sensitive skin in his first year, and we found that cloth diapers made his rashes much worse. (A shame as I was hugely committed to the idea of them and we tried several types). Disposables gave him a rash where the elastic met the skin, but seventh generation worked ok.
Interesting - I think 'sposies were initially to help battle diaper rash caused from cloth :p

FWIW my DS's rashes seemed to be more food related than cloth vs sposie

#5 ·
We also use Ecos Free and Clear now, but DS's eczema is much better and does not flare up unless he gets exposure to one of his food allergens. When he was a baby, he had persistent eczema and I tried several detergents (All Free and Clear, Biokleen Free and Clear), but it didn't seem to make a difference for his skin. He is sensitive to dairy, gluten and corn (among other things), so I make sure that the laundry, dishwashing detergents and bodywash/shampoo/lotion don't contain any of those things.

#7 ·
Well I just put in my vote for soap nuts. DD's eczema was almost gone due to an elimination diet, but I could tell something else was still aggravating it. So I washed all her clothes in soap nuts and her eczema is gone! I'm so happy. It's such a relief to see her skin look so good. Now I just have to figure out which foods I can eat.

#8 ·
All F&C or Purex F&C + an extra rinse work well for us. All F&C seems to leave dark/oil spots on certain textiles--I've read that it might be a dye reaction. Purex seems to have fewer issues. Seventh Gen and Ecos didn't get our clothes clean (we play in the mud a lot). Charlie's made me break out in body-wide eczema. It *hurts*. I'm covered again after handling some long-sleeved clothes during this recent cold snap. :(

#10 ·
I make my own. This recipe is good. I just don't use Fels Naptha soap because it's got some unnatural ingredients. I subbed Dr. Bronners unscented baby bar soap. It's helped my kids' skin out a lot! We switched to other non-detergent soaps, too, like Cal Ben shampoo and natural bar soap (tallow soap from Whole foods or Dr. Bronner's) for showering.

#13 ·
"The Soap Works" makes a product called Pure Laundry Soap Powder. I love this stuff, it has no detergents, only true soaps and it gets my clothes so clean. They smell clean without any perfume. Works great in my HE washer. I put some vinegar in the softener tray so that the vinegar is only introduced in the rinse cycle. Love it. My eczema has totally cleared up now that I am using this laundry soap, as well as true-soap products in the shower and dish soap as well. My eczema is GONE.

#14 ·
I read an article in The Daily Mail about Skin Salveation special laundry powder for eczema. Our family all suffer with itchy skin and I have struggled to find a satisfactory product.

Well this is it!! Its great. In cleans and we no longer have any problems with skin rashes at all.Have a look, follow this link http://www.skinsalveation.com/shop/ss/laundry-powder/ If it works. Best of luck,

Jane

#17 ·
Using no detergent at all!!! PLEASE go to www.solveeczema.org and see what this mom has to say about detergents. Changing to all soap-based products and becoming a detergent free home has been the single most effective thing we have done for my son's eczema in 7 years. If you are like me and have tried virtually everything, this cannot hurt and is relatively inexpensive. Try it.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Mommy View Post

Using no detergent at all!!! PLEASE go to www.solveeczema.org and see what this mom has to say about detergents. Changing to all soap-based products and becoming a detergent free home has been the single most effective thing we have done for my son's eczema in 7 years. If you are like me and have tried virtually everything, this cannot hurt and is relatively inexpensive. Try it.
What do you use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.