Six-week-old with constipation and congestion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My breastfed baby stopped pooping two weeks ago unless we give her a glycerin suppository, which we've been doing every 3-4 days when she seems to be repeatedly straining trying to poop. I cut out dairy from my diet a week ago, but haven't seen any improvement. When she does poop after the suppository, the stool is normal (yellow). She also has a lot of nasal congestion. I know both of these can be a sign of food sensitivity, but I don't know what could be the culprit other than dairy. My diet consists of organic cereal (no milk), whey protein shakes made with almond milk and frozen fruit, whole grain bread, turkey, chicken, fish, grass-fed beef, non-gassy vegetables (no cruciferous), fruit, almonds, rice, hummus, and sometimes chickpeas in homemade Indian food. I don't eat any processed foods other than an occasional Odwalla bar. Could any of these foods be problematic?

If the constipation and congestion are NOT caused by food allergy, what else could be the problem?

Any home remedies for the congestion? Should I be using a humidifier?

#2 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 AM

Whey is a milk protein and there may be more hidden milk proteins in your food that you didn't realize. Any spreadable butter? Almonds could also be a problem. 

I'm inclined to move this over to the Allergies forum for you. 

#3 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't eaten any butter. I actually haven't had any whey protein in several days, either. How long should it take to see improvement once I've eliminated the food from my diet? 

#4 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrockBaca View Post

I haven't eaten any butter. I actually haven't had any whey protein in several days, either. How long should it take to see improvement once I've eliminated the food from my diet? 

It depends on a lot of things. I believe here people say 4 weeks for sure but many see results faster. I would start keeping a detailed food log now so you have some data that may be of use.  I did 2 dairy elimination diets (6 weeks and 8 weeks) and saw no improvement when DS was 4 and 6 months old.  We found out at 14 months he was allergic to much more than dairy.  Once I eliminated ALL those things, he was SSTN and other assorted good "allergy gone" things!

#5 of 6 Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 AM

My dd is allergic to MUCH more than just dairy as well. Dairy could still be in your diet without you necessarily realizing it though. Are you aware of the different terms? Caesin for one (sp).

#6 of 6 Old 09-08-2011, 06:25 AM

this kind of sounds like my daughter when she was younger. i blamed it on dairy and went dairy-free for almost 2 years with not much improvement. allergy test showed she was allergic to wheat, and once we went gluten-free, i finally saw the difference!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page