Help with wheat/gluten issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I moved to Kenya the first of July and since I have moved here I have been having some serious issues relating to wheat consumption.  It has progressively gotten worse since moving.  At this point, when I eat wheat products, I have serious diarrhea (sorry TMI) within 30 minutes of eating it.  I feel nauseas and have joint pain, headaches and fatigue. I feel great in between these times, and eating other foods do not produce the same results.   

I guess my question is, could the bread which is much less processed (like we find stalks of the wheat in our bread) have a higher amount of gluten in it than I have been accustomed to in the States?

I know I need to cut it out, but how long should I cut it out for before I add it back into my diet to check for specific reactions?  

I am not sure about getting testing done, I will have to find a doctor here and ask if it is possible.  I am okay with not having a definitive answer until I get back to the States if I can do a challenge test and see how my body reacts to the food here.  Can symptoms of gluten sensitivity come up so quickly?

Thanks for your help! 

#2 of 7 Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 AM

I believe the thing that allows us to eat cereals and what not is that it is milled down and in it's original form is not easily digestable by humans. Since it's not only not processed but not even ground it would be hard on your body to digest it even if you did not have gluten allergies. I would avoid anything that upsets your tummy. Keep a diary. I realize it must be difficult in another country. They are probably more use to eating them as they are.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-grains

#3 of 7 Old 08-26-2011, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts!  That is what I was thinking, too.  I will continue to avoid the things that are bothering me.  I asked a doctor about it and she said that if I have never had allergies to wheat before, then that could not be it. Really?  Hm.  Not what I have read!  Anyways, I will keep on chugging away on this!  Cheers

#4 of 7 Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Having an allergy is not always as clear-cut as people think.  I wen 42 years without realizing I had my allergies.  3 years ago, some allergic symptoms got worse and, having severe grass allergies I was tested for those and food as well.  Yikes!  I was living in an allergic fog and didn't realize it because my symptoms are not the typical ones people think of when they think of allergies. It is possible that you have had a wheat allergy and just didn't know it.

But there other ingredients that could be causing your problems.  Yeast?  Dairy products?  What else is in the bread?  What about unleavened wheat products?  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 7 Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 AM

What I have found is that if I am sensitive to a particular food, then eating it in a less processed, more natural form causes *more* symptoms, so the effect is more pronounced.

It's also possible there's something else that's made its way into the bread, causing your obvious reaction. Wherever it's made, ask about the details of what's in it and exactly how it's made. Maybe you can actually watch some of it being made...?

Is there any other source of wheat you could try instead of that bread, to see if it's actually wheat and not something about just that one bread?

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM

This is so interesting...I have similar reactions when I eat wheat berries (soaked) and I wondered too if I had a gluten intolerance, but I really think it has more to due with just a tough to digest food. For information on gluten intolerance and celiac disease, here's a pretty good description of each: 

Gluten intolerance and celiac disease — should you be concerned?

Though my gut, ha ha, tells me this isn't the issue for you. Best of luck in Kenya! 

#7 of 7 Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 AM

What about tropical sprue?  It's really not at all common in Africa, but it's not totally unheard of.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page