Dairy Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I apologize if there is an existing post or sticky about this, but I couldn't find one.  I have been on a dairy elimination diet for 12 weeks and am ready to do a dairy challenge.  My 6 1/2 month old DD tested negative for an igE response, but I fear she has an intolerance.  Anyway, does anyone have any dairy challenge tips?  How much and what kind of dairy should I try this first time?  How long will it take to get into my breast milk? 

I'm not sure the proper way to reference other posts, but this has the details of my experience with this so far. 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1319094/need-help-determining-if-4-mo-dd-has-a-dairy-allergy#post_16533414

Mommy to my Lamb, born 9/22/2008 and my Penguin, born 2/21/2011
: HypnoBirthing Mama

#2 of 2 Old 09-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First off, IgE tests on children under 2yo are problematic (in that they're not very accurate). What were the reactions like before you went on the elimination?

Your options would be to give it to them directly (not contaminating your milk, which could take up to 4 days to leave your system) or drink a glass of milk and wait. Some kids react during the very next feeding. My DS reacted exactly 24 hours after I ingested milk and then continued reacting for 3 more days. At the time, I didn't know of anything to mitigate reactions so it was just wait it out, which wasn't fun.

I wonder if you have something with no proteins in it (like something with just lactose in it, which is the milk sugar) if that would tell you more (like that she's only intolerant to the protein)?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page