Anyone else have a "puker"? (possible allergies) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 5 weeks old and is a happy, not fussy, steadily growing little man.  He's a wonderful baby.  But...I'm up to my ears in spit up!!   I need to vent a bit and maybe find someone to commiserate with

After doing lots of digging online and remembering how DD was at this age, I think my babies are just pukers.  I do have overactive letdown and a bit of oversupply, but it's been regulating and things were getting better.  Then DS just hit a growth spurt and ramped up my supply a bit, and yesterday was one of the pukiest days so far.  I'm also tired b/c he was up at 4am to eat, and then again at 5.  I was so tired at 5 I just sat up in bed rather than traipsing out to the living room, and once I lay down with him in the bed -- BLARGH he nailed the bed with a mess of spitup.  It even got my pillow.  Wah.  It's not massive amounts, it's just enough to be gross and annoying.  >.<  I moved to the couch and then at 6:45 am he woke again fussing, and I figured, Ok, sit up, get him fed, get one more hour of sleep before DD wakes.  I sat, fed him for 15 min or so, and as soon as he popped off.. he nailed me AGAIN!!  Luckily I had one more clean shirt to change into.

So, I'm starting this thread.  Idk if anyone will reply but at least I'm getting it all out!!

I'm starting to dread every feeding.  He's like a ticking timebomb!  In my overtired delirious state, I feel like I'll never be able to leave the house with him b/c of this issue.  

And just FTR, he's not in any pain, not fussing.  He might squawk a bit like he has a burp stuck, but then once he burps/spits up he's cooing and happy again.  I'm not terribly worried, as he's gaining weight fine and has plenty (plenty) of wet and dirty diapers...it's just a laundry issue.  And a grumpy mama issue.

Anyone?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 AM

My oldest and youngest have been pukers. Keep them upright a lot. That really helped my youngest. We did do prevacid for awhile since the puke was just neverending. She just stopped it at almost 6 months! Hang in there! It's frustrating all the way around!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#3 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Yep. Both of mine have been pukers. DS1 was a miserable colicky baby and DS2 is a happy little dude, so go figure. In both case, however, it got much better about the time both could sit up alone so have hope.
It is a total PIA. DS1 once spit up in poor DH's MOUTH once. Utterly gross.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#4 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
once I lay down with him in the bed -- BLARGH he nailed the bed with a mess of spitup.  It even got my pillow.  Wah.  It's not massive amounts, it's just enough to be gross and annoying.  >.< 

Okay maybe this is an overshare, but both my girls have been pukers. Most disgusting thing ever, IMO. We co-sleep, and DD often spits up in my bed.. and being the lazy laundress that I am, I usually end up sleeping in stinky, sticky, piles of puke. Sometimes I cover it with a swaddle blanket.. but then it dries, and I move the blanket, and the sticky stinky puddle becomes a stiff stinky spot. GROSS! Somebody tell me I am not alone in being this disgusting? LOL!

#5 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Yeah. My standards for what is clean enough to go out in, and whether the sheets are dirty are sinking sinking sinking. And sometimes I change shirts four times in a morning.

#6 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 AM

My son was a puker and didn't stop until about 6 months. My daughter is even worse! I am doing at least 1 load of laundry every day of all her clothes, receiving blankets, and my shirts.

I have a waterproof pad under the sheet on my bed, plus I have a towel on top of the sheet. Between spit up and leaky boobs, everything is soaked by morning.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#7 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

joy.gif  I found my tribe!!  LOL!!

Ditto on the crusty sheets, the constant laundry, and the sleeping on towels.  At least we're in this together. 

Right after his last nursing, he was fine and happy and cooing.  I was so happy maybe we had avoided spitting up this time!!  I put him up to my shoulder to burp and BAM he got me -- my cheek, down the neck, down the shirt.  UGH.  It was my last clean shirt!!  Serenity now!!  I admit it I started to cry a little.  DH finally saw what I've been talking about and googled.  Sigh.  There's nothing to worry about.  So why the hell am I so worried!!??

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#8 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Right down the cleavage is what I hate the most. Especially when I'm out and about.

#9 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM

OP, if you're genuinely worried, trust your instinct.  It's probably nothing... but it might actually be a clue about something wrong.  I wish I'd identified my little guy's dairy sensitivity earlier -- and the massive quantities of spit-up were our first clue.  After a few weeks, he started reacting more and more ferociously to the dairy, and I couldn't figure out why he was so unhappy and screaming so much of the time.  A few days after I cut out dairy, I had my content, happy-go-lucky baby back.  But it took us 4 months to figure out what should have been obvious by the time he was 3 weeks old.  If you're concerned about the spitting, you could always drop dairy for a couple of weeks and see if anything changes -- it's the most likely culprit, anyway. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#10 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 05:33 PM

Oh mamas, have I btdt!  Both my boys were/are spitters and DS2 (4 mo) is the worst.  Down the cleavage, down the back, in my pockets- you name it.  It is miserable but like your LO's he doesn't have any other issues.  We went down the "why" road with DS1 so I am letting it go with DS2.  He did have 2 CST treatments but they only helped a little.  The worst part is that he can't resettle to sleep most nights after a feed until he pukes, but then he is fine.  He has spit up ounces of milk but he has always been 90+% in weight (and height) so there is no worry. *sigh*  I stink like old milk most always...

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#11 of 64 Old 09-20-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

OP, if you're genuinely worried, trust your instinct.  It's probably nothing... but it might actually be a clue about something wrong.  I wish I'd identified my little guy's dairy sensitivity earlier -- and the massive quantities of spit-up were our first clue.  After a few weeks, he started reacting more and more ferociously to the dairy, and I couldn't figure out why he was so unhappy and screaming so much of the time.  A few days after I cut out dairy, I had my content, happy-go-lucky baby back.  But it took us 4 months to figure out what should have been obvious by the time he was 3 weeks old.  If you're concerned about the spitting, you could always drop dairy for a couple of weeks and see if anything changes -- it's the most likely culprit, anyway. 

Im going to take him to the ped anyway, but i think he's ok deep down.  Just want that etra reassurance, u know?  I'm actually vegan, so Im thinking if its anything, its soy??  Not sure...

#12 of 64 Old 09-24-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And just FTR, he's not in any pain, not fussing.  He might squawk a bit like he has a burp stuck, but then once he burps/spits up he's cooing and happy again.  I'm not terribly worried, as he's gaining weight fine and has plenty (plenty) of wet and dirty diapers...it's just a laundry issue.  And a grumpy mama issue.

So things got worse.  It was getting clear to me that he WAS in pain and feeling burning when spitting up.  Some arching of the back when puking, and a sharp, intense scream.  He would spit up and then frantically root for more milk, to ease the pain.  We started him on the lowest dose of Zantac on Wednesday, and so far it's like night and day.  He's still puking, but now there is no real scream associated with it, and he's sleeping AWESOME.  No more waking up choking and screaming!!

But now I'm thinking that it's something I'm eating that's causing him to puke.  I slacked a few times and got cream in my coffee while out and about so I'm going to completely COMPLETELY eliminate all dairy and cut back on my caffeine more.  I'm hoping it helps.  I just can't imagine what my diet will be like if I have to eliminate soy.

#13 of 64 Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

All my kids have been pukers, all 4 of them. I think my couch still has spit up on it form the last baby! Ditto to the crusty sheets, the puke down the front of the shirt, I am so tired of smelling like sour milk all the time. Sigh. I only tried Zantac with one baby and it didn't do much. This guy pukes but doesn't seem to be in pain from it, his main source of fussiness is gas. 

So... I'd have to look up the percentage but a high number of babies who react to dairy, react to soy as well. It's high enough that I tell moms to cut out soy the same time they cut out dairy, and then try introducing it later to see if their baby can tolerate it. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 64 Old 09-24-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I could probably easily cut out soymilk and tofu, but soy seems to be in EVERYTHING.  I wonder if I just cut out obvious soy if it would be enough.

#15 of 64 Old 09-25-2011, 07:23 AM

It just depends how sensitive the baby is, sometimes cutting out the "big ticket" items could be enough, but with a highly sensitive baby, every little item has to go. Trial and error. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#16 of 64 Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM

My son was like that.  He spit up more or less constantly.  Sometimes he'd be fine right after a feeding and then 30-45 minutes later, WHOOSH!  The white wave!

He was growing well (VERY well... perhaps a little too well, chunky monkey!) and was generally a very pleasant and even tempered baby, so his pediatrician was not concerned about it.  Easy for him to say, huh?  He's not the one constantly covered in vomit!

My diet didn't seem to impact his spitting up at all.  I don't eat dairy at all anyway and was eating soy fairly infrequently at the time.  I think some kids really are just spitters.

I was immensely weary of it by the time it stopped, around maybe 8 or 9 months.  (Not sure when it changed exactly, but I think it was by the time I started regularly carrying him on my back.)  So, I feel your pain!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#17 of 64 Old 09-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Hi there,

My now 16 year old was a puker when he was a baby and later I learned he had a weak digestive system and that was why it was easy for him to throw up at the slightest thing, he would gag if a Dr. would stick the wooden stick in his mouth just at the tip.  We all gag, but his was very sensitive.  To this day, he has a weak system and throws up easily, he throws up when we are driving a winding road. 

#18 of 64 Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 PM

We figured out casein and soy are not compatible with our son, and now he drinks almond milk.  Coconut milk is a good alternative too, but I would check with your pediatrician, for the age you can substitute almond or coconut milk.

#19 of 64 Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 PM

Both of mine were spitter uppers. Like you I had a lOt of milk, fast let down. They outgrew finally. Cutting out wheat helped a lot and bell pepper and onion. Only til like 4/5 months. Good luck - it is an intense laundry time. :-) focus on hOw well they grow- all from you!
#20 of 64 Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

So things got worse.  It was getting clear to me that he WAS in pain and feeling burning when spitting up.  Some arching of the back when puking, and a sharp, intense scream.  He would spit up and then frantically root for more milk, to ease the pain.  We started him on the lowest dose of Zantac on Wednesday, and so far it's like night and day.  He's still puking, but now there is no real scream associated with it, and he's sleeping AWESOME.  No more waking up choking and screaming!!

But now I'm thinking that it's something I'm eating that's causing him to puke.  I slacked a few times and got cream in my coffee while out and about so I'm going to completely COMPLETELY eliminate all dairy and cut back on my caffeine more.  I'm hoping it helps.  I just can't imagine what my diet will be like if I have to eliminate soy.

Carrie, I'm glad that the Zantac is helping. That's how it was for DD too: night and day. Since it seems to be reflux related, have you thought about cutting out onions and chocolate? If I have something that's even cooked with onions, or in the same pan, she's up all night spitting up and crying. Apparently, as I stupidly tested yesterday (for the umpteenth time - I don't want to let this one go!), certain kinds of chocolate do the same thing. sleepytime.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#21 of 64 Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM

My DS (3 weeks old) is a spitter, and I think it's getting more painful for him just like your LO. Last night he screamed every time he tried to nurse. DS1 did this and was diagnosed with reflux. I'm praying this one doesn't have it too. Have to admit, I havent been strict on my allergy free diet. OH - and there's the overactive let down that chokes him every time he tries to nurse. Wish I could enjoy those wonderful nursing moments other moms talk about. All I get lately is a screaming, puking, hungry-but-can't-eat, baby.

I'm usually a non-medicating mom, but I'm seriously considering Zantac. It's preferrable to formula though. And if it works like you say, Babycakes, it might be an option for us.  Any one think it would work if *I* took the Zantac and he got it in my breastmilk?

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#22 of 64 Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

My DS (3 weeks old) is a spitter, and I think it's getting more painful for him just like your LO. Last night he screamed every time he tried to nurse. DS1 did this and was diagnosed with reflux. I'm praying this one doesn't have it too. Have to admit, I havent been strict on my allergy free diet. OH - and there's the overactive let down that chokes him every time he tries to nurse. Wish I could enjoy those wonderful nursing moments other moms talk about. All I get lately is a screaming, puking, hungry-but-can't-eat, baby.

I'm usually a non-medicating mom, but I'm seriously considering Zantac. It's preferrable to formula though. And if it works like you say, Babycakes, it might be an option for us.  Any one think it would work if *I* took the Zantac and he got it in my breastmilk?

I have been worried about my daughter possibly having reflux. She seems very distressed when she spits up, but doesn't fuss when nursing, so I don't know. She is generally very happy and doesn't cry much at all, so I'm trying to wait it out.

According to Dr. Hale, the concentration of Zantac in breastmilk is too low to be effective on the baby. However, I took a 150mg dose last night because I had heartburn. I normally take Prevacid because I have GERD, but while breastfeeding, I try to live on Zantac because it's an L2 and Prevacid is an L3 drug. So, I took the Zantac last night and noticed a big difference in my daughter. She hardly spit up all night, Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my opinion is, it's worth a try.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#23 of 64 Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

Wish I could enjoy those wonderful nursing moments other moms talk about. All I get lately is a screaming, puking, hungry-but-can't-eat, baby.

I just said to DH last night that I can't wait for him to outgrow this, and for nursing to be easy -- but I don't want to wish away the next 4 months!  LOL!!  I hope it doesn't take that long to get a good groove on.  I know these first weeks are always rough but I'm over the drama of all this spitup and OAL.  I can't exactly take out my bewb and hand express at let down when I'm out and about, you know?  

Tear - chocolate, huh?  I could def live w/o onions, but man, that chocolate....I'd prob keep testing too!  LOL!  Actually since starting weight watchers, I haven't had any chocolate (yet) and I've not seen a difference.  But it's only been a few days.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.  Who knows?

#24 of 64 Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM

NAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I have been worried about my daughter possibly having reflux. She seems very distressed when she spits up, but doesn't fuss when nursing, so I don't know. She is generally very happy and doesn't cry much at all, so I'm trying to wait it out.

According to Dr. Hale, the concentration of Zantac in breastmilk is too low to be effective on the baby. However, I took a 150mg dose last night because I had heartburn. I normally take Prevacid because I have GERD, but while breastfeeding, I try to live on Zantac because it's an L2 and Prevacid is an L3 drug. So, I took the Zantac last night and noticed a big difference in my daughter. She hardly spit up all night, Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my opinion is, it's worth a try.

One of the main symptoms of reflux is baby screaming at the breast and arching the back. Also, they will (attempt to) over eat to take the sting out of the throat. If she's eating fine, it might not be a case requiring meds. 

DH just bought a baby pillow type thingy for reflux. I'm waiting for it to offgas and then I'm going to test it out. Put him in it for about 30 minutes today (to free up my hands) and he did great.

Interesting about your DD's possible reaction to the Zantac. And as for not much getting into the breastmilk, maybe a 7-10 lb baby might not need much to help reduce the symptoms? 

OK screaming baby here...

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

#25 of 64 Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 PM

DS was screaming and then he projectile vomited twice. Now DH is giving me a little break while he walks around with him. I totally know what you mean about wanting this to be over with. DS1 was *much* worse than DS2 and I wished away over a year for him to get better. I'm hoping it will be quicker with this guy.

ROTFLMAO.gifI'd love to be able to get over the drama too. DH asked me if I would be coming to church this Sunday. I can't imagine all of the things I would have to do to nurse this guy on a full breast in church. 1 - go into the car 2- lay on back seat 3- grab two pillows 4 - hand express 5- hope no one looks into the window!

Quote:

I just said to DH last night that I can't wait for him to outgrow this, and for nursing to be easy -- but I don't want to wish away the next 4 months!  LOL!!  I hope it doesn't take that long to get a good groove on.  I know these first weeks are always rough but I'm over the drama of all this spitup and OAL.  I can't exactly take out my bewb and hand express at let down when I'm out and about, you know?  

Tear - chocolate, huh?  I could def live w/o onions, but man, that chocolate....I'd prob keep testing too!  LOL!  Actually since starting weight watchers, I haven't had any chocolate (yet) and I've not seen a difference.  But it's only been a few days.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.  Who knows?

#26 of 64 Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 PM

Both of my girls were major pukers....especially our youngest. It would soak me and her everytime. Both of my girls are gluten, dairy, and soy intolerant. A little spitting up is normal but when it goes to that extent then I would think something is causing it. I think the stats say that about 50% of babies that react to dairy will react to soy as well, the proteins are very similar.

#27 of 64 Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 AM

My son was/is a puker, my daughter, not so much.  BuggaBoo would puke all the time, and smile while doing it.  So creepy.  He also nursed constantly, 18-24 times a day, and still nurses 6-12 times a day. He cut his first teeth at 3.5 months and because of the constant acid bath he now looks like he has bottle rot because two of his upper teeth are almost gone.  He will still spit up sometimes if he nurses a lot and then runs around, and the other day he told me he throws up a little several times a week.

Looking back on it I now know that he has reflux, but because he never screamed we didn't think he was in pain.  But he's very high needs, he needed a lot of holding and snuggling and nursing and sleeping together and staying latched at night, so I don't know why I didn't make the connection.  Probably because he was my first.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#28 of 64 Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Puke has been so minimal the past few days that I tried sidelying nursing him in the bed this morning.  Mind you, I've been sleeping on a very uncomfortable couch with him in the crook of my arm for like 2 weeks, so the bed was a huge risk.  He's never been able to lay flat.  But, anyway, I tried it.  Seemed ok.  He nursed for a good couple minutes, popped off, burped a little.  I breathed a sigh of relief and I dozed back off -- and was woken about 5 min later by a MAJOR puke event all over me, out his nose, all over the bed.  UGHGHGH!  I'm so over this!!  What kind of baby CAN'T EAT??!  This is just madness!!

surrender.gif

#29 of 64 Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 AM

This may not be the case for the OP but may be some help to others - my fourth was a puker but it was always just foremilk that she spattered everywhere, not a creamy mix. I considered reflux and food sensitivities but it was block feeding that fixed it meaning we were finally able to get out and about and feed without worrying about someone elses's floors/carpet/walls/sofa!

Block feeding means not switching sides every feed but keeping to the same breast for a fixed amount of time then switching for another block and then back. In the beginning you need to do short blocks of an hour or so to get your milk production to get used to a change but the puking stopped completely when I managed to get to blocks of 3-4 hours or even a bit longer.

HTH

#30 of 64 Old 10-01-2011, 06:18 PM

I've been doing the block feeding and my supply is going down. It's actually perfect right now!  Not meaning to hijack, but does any one know when it's safe to stop the block feeding. And do you do it gradually?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page