Breastfed infant not sensitive to "baked" milk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have done some googling but haven't really found the answers that I'm looking for.  DS is 4 months and EBF.  I am dairy and soy free.  I ate a muffin, obviously a baked good, and he did not react.  I have heard that being baked causes the milk to change properties which some kids may be less sensitive to.  Does anyone know-- does this only pertain to actual baked goods, or does something with maybe cheese in it, that is baked, like lasagna have the changed protein properties too?  Would a grilled cheese work too or does it actually have to be baked?  I'm just hopeful that I can start eating a little bit more soon!

Thank you!!

#2 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Heat changes the proteins of some foods, milk being one.  Dr's now are doing some testing on "baked milk" food challenges.  You put x amount in something and the kid eats it to see if they react.  It is 100% possible to be able to eat a muffin (in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes) but NOT be able to do something like a pancake or French toast.  Or you can do muffins and pancakes but not cheese.  It's going to be different for each person.

Immunology is clear as mud :(  Sorry that this isn't of much help/use but it is what it is so to speak.

#3 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

That actually IS very helpful to at least know that I can trial and error different foods.  Thank you!

#4 of 4 Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM

And as far as I know, that's true of allergies, where you're sensitive to the protein, and not intolerances, which are more than just the protein. But allergic people can be sensitive to it even in baked goods as well.

[A friend of mine is IgE allergic to most legumes. As long as they're cooked, she can eat them.]

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page