Gluten free for first 2 yrs??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am an expecting mommy and being bombarded with TONS of information (more than I know what to do with honestly). But there was one thing that I read, and forgive me for not remembering where I read this due to pregnancy brain, anywho, I read that avoiding gluten in the first few years of life can be a preventative measure for all sorts of intestinal issues like celiac, ulcerative colitis, and irritable bowel etc. That children who are exposed to gluten early on have more cases of these illnesses. Can I get some opinions on this? I know that the first 5 years are incredibly important as far as what a child takes in both via food and environment...but I want to weed out what I can.

#2 of 4 Old 09-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There is NO REASON to say "off" of any food unless/until there is a reason to.  None.  I have also talked to the leading researcher on Celiac in the US about breastfeeding a child who has a genetic link to someone with Celiac and he said no way should Mom be off gluten UNLESS she herself has Celiac/gluten intolerance or figures out the baby does.

#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ill have to do some more research as to why some are suggesting this. It was one of those things I sort of read in passing and didnt really look into it much further. It didnt say anything about the mother being gluten free, only after the child is eating solid food...but then there is the fact that I will probably still be nursing after solid foods are introduced..which would mean the baby would be getting gluten from me anyways...hmmm...need to do further research.

#4 of 4 Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My daughter's allergist also cautions against avoiding foods unless you know or there is very good indication you have to.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page