Toddler with new eczema and hives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to figure out what our next step should be with our 2.5 year old DS and thought I would come here to ask the experienced mamas.  I really appreciate any thoughts!

Our DS has always had food issues (reflux as an infant until 11 months) dairy, citrus, berry, and nut intolerances.  I was on a total elimination diet for his first year but for over a year now I've been able to eat just about anything and he doesn't seem to react.

He still doesn't get citrus or dairy but has been increasing his interest in new foods which we are encouraging (including wheat, nuts, and eggs).  He hasn't had a clear allergic reaction to anything and for a while he seemed totally fine with all these new foods and we were soooo excited thinking he might be over his food issues.  Part of the reason we were excited was because he is verging on failure to thrive, he's small and hasn't grown as much as we would like lately.  He is also language delayed and there is some thought it might be nutritional.  So eating a lot of new, calorie/vitamin rich foods has been so great!

But now in the last few weeks he has gotten progressively worse eczema on the backs of his knees and in the last few days he hasn't slept AT ALL and he had hives on his chest in the bath today.  Obviously this is some kind of allergy but I'm not sure where to go from here.  I hate to cut back all this new food.  His talking has suddenly had a spurt, he has put on almost a pound in the last few weeks so we really feel like he has needed a variety of foods he wasn't getting before. 

Do we have to choose between growth with allergies or no allergies but missing out nutritionally?  There is at least some small chance it is environmental since we just moved to a new place and we wonder if he might just be allergic to something blooming right now.

I am really worried about cutting back food when his development seems to be progressing but then he is obviously increasingly uncomfortable.  I have no idea what to do next?  Elimination diet for him? Cut out one thing at a time?  Allergy testing? 

How on earth do we even go about figuring this out?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 PM

You mentioned he had hives in the bath.  Are you using an unscented soap?  My 2 y/o DS had eczema as an infant.  I was able to keep it at bay and still do with a homemade unscented soap and   Gentle Naturals eczema cream.  I also bathed him in water with a couple tsp of oatmeal powder (rolled oats I made into powder in my blender) whenever he broke out.  It was always behind the knees, just like you describe.  The oatmeal baths, unscented soap, and cream were all he needed.  I also kept him away from dairy, as it upset his stomach and I suspected it was the cause for his eczema. I hope you find a good solution!

I actually came to this section, after not posting or reading here since his birth, because I believe he has a nut allergy, specifically peanuts.  :(

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

Old 10-24-2011, 02:14 PM

In hindsight, things I wish I knew about when DS1's eczema started to flare around 15 months & progressively worsen: 1. Allergy testing, especially for intolerances 2. Elimination diet & food journal 3. Yeast overgrowth 4. Reflux & stomach acid 5. Gut healing
Two books that have been helpful are Dr Kenneth Bocks "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics" & Dr Wrights "Why Stomach Acid is Good for you." overall, eczema for us felt like a complete guessing game at times, but hopefully this info gives you some direction. You can always read more info on my blog: www.allergicadventures.com

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

User Tag List