Advice on next steps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all-

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and looking for some guidance. 

the backstory: I did an elimination diet back in Feb.  mainly for my son to check for food allergies affecting his behavior, but we basically all went on it (not my husband so much, due to travel.)   He reacted to gluten, dairy, blue dye, and green grapes.  Surprisingly, I found out I reacted to gluten, dairy, and corn.  We ended up eating a lot of brown rice too, which began to be a bit much for me as well.

So here we are.... my son and I are gluten free 100%, he doesn't do dairy (other than some butter I use in baking) which doesn't seem to bother him, I do very, very, little dairy. we've cut out corn almost completely (found it makes us both very burpy and I feel like I'm having heart burn)  We both have seasonal allergies, especially hay (do you see the trend of tall grasses?) but after cutting the gluten, I don't feel the need to use allergy meds at all!  My son went down to 1 med (singulair) instead of 2 (clairitan).  He's been referred to an allergist for the prick test (I have no idea what this tests for though.... any insight?)

He is 7.5 and totally fine with the diet changes.  I'm beginning to feel like I can't enjoy food anymore since my tummy rumbles everyday, and I feel burpy all the time.  I'm trying to learn how to cook again (GF, DF and Corn Free) Going GF has been amazing for me though and I'm no longer bloated 24/7. I also found I don't do well with Xantham Gum that seems to be in most GF baking recipes.   Maybe due to the corn?  I felt like a rock star when we did the Elimination Diet, so I want to make some more changes, but just not sure where to go from here.  I've decided to cut out coffee (only caffeine I drink) and then the sugar.  

Do I need to focus on my gut now? just try out different foods? I also know I need to supplement, but again, not sure where to start....

Thanks for any advice/help!

#2 of 5 Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I can't advise on where to start, but I can answer a couple of questions.  Xanthum gum is my from corn.  As you rid your diet more completely of an allergen, you start to notice when tiny bits creep in. This happens with some foods but not every one as you noticed with the butter.  Each individual will be different.  I do notice that xanthum gum is particularly noticeable for me, to a degree that can't be explained by amounts alone.

Skin prick tests measure the body's histamine reaction to a possible allergen.  There are 2 controls: saline, which gives you a baseline, and a controlled amount of histamine.  These are so you can give meaning to the numbers you see next to the allergens.  (Even then, the numbers will take some interpretation within your own body.)  They measure the size of the whelp (bump) and the redness.  Also, if the borders are irregular, that too will be noted.  Those are the particularly bad ones even if the numbers don't line up perfectly.  Some individuals will not respond to skin testing, others (me!) are pretty darn accurate.

Burpy tummy rumbling *might* be another allergy or sensitivity (might not). Bean flours, flaxseed, guar gum, coconut, rice, almonds, eggs...... all these ingredients are commonly used in GF baking and all can cause troubles in some individuals.  Time for a food diary!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 5 Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 AM

I would first crack down on the ones you're already avoiding. So no xanthan gum or any other corn derivatives. And no butter in baking. And see where you land. If you felt great on the elimination diet, go back to it. Then add things one at a time (giving at least 4 days in between). Here, we've reacted even to citric acid (corn) in canned goods.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 5 Old 09-29-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

thank you!  

We recently moved and my husband is working a lot, so I'm flying solo with no family or help, so dealing with the kids AND food issues has been making me feel down about meals in general I guess.  It's sooo much info and if I can't do corn, so many easy GF options are out, esp. convenience foods.  (which I don't do much of anyway, but sometimes it's easier on tough nights)  I also found that beans really work  my system.  A lot of my easy "go to's" are not available. 

At least I can eat meat and potatoes ;)  that's mainly what we ate that first week.  I guess i really need to do a food journal and then go from there and go back to what we did week 1.  uuugh.  

Thanks for the help and listening to my pity party. ;)

#5 of 5 Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Our family does eat more meat than I would ordinarily, simply because there are few vegetarian alternatives left to us.  Meals can get a little monotonous, but the family will get used to them.  But, oh, how I ever crave pizza or lasagna!  (Only occasionally though.)  Knowing few good meals to prepare, learning what snacks are OK, and most definitely some allergy friendly treats and indulgences and you'll hit your stride.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page