Possible food intolerance causing frequent night wakings with no other symptoms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-04-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 13 mo son has been waking every 2-3 hours for the past 10 months.  He slept one longer 4-6 hr stretch for a blissful 6 weeks from 6weeks-12 weeks.  Since then he wakes A LOT every night.  Is is possible he has a food intolerance or sensitivity.  He is bf but also eating plenty of solids now.  He has never shown any signs of being in pain, etc so I never thought it was a possibility but am now wondering if maybe it is.  He does have gas sometimes but doesn't seem bothered by it.  He used to spit up a lot as a baby but the ped said if he doesn't seem bothered/in pain when he does it, then it's not a problem.  He never cried or got upset when he spit up.  He very rarely spits up now.  Anyone have a child who does have an intolerance but had no outward symptoms?  Oh, I am vegan so I already do not eat dairy/eggs but I know there are other possibilities such as soy/nuts/etc.

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 2 Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is possible, sleep disturbances happen with food intolerances. But you say he has no other symptoms, no skin issues, weird poops (constipation, loose, mucous) or behavioral problems. Since you are nursing, that may be why he wakes up frequently at night... Is he waking up to nurse or because he is uncomfortable and thrashing around? Also, what about teething? That is certainly a possibility, though you say it's been going on for 10 months.

The only way to tell would be to take out foods and see if sleep improves, but you would have to take it out of both your diets since you are BFing.

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page