Mothering Forum banner

DD 10mo gets bum rash if she eats any foods. on neocate. HELP!!!

747 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  emilysmama 
#1 ·
i want to see if anyone has any ideas.

DD nursed and nursed and got smaller and smaller---etc...finally after trialing milk formula- after only ONE bottle--she got blood in her stool and mucous. pulled her off that--(I have/had stayed off milk her entire life nursing because my other 2 kids have problems with it)----so at 9 months she was 12lbs-- (was 14 at 3 month)----so we added Neocate.. and she has gained 5 lbs since then in a little over a month!!! ---anyways---back to when we started neocate- - we did do one container of Ellecare and then I found out it has GMO--so we switched to Neocate. a couple days after we started Ellecare she got a bum rash---I figured of COURSE there's a PH difference between just breastmilk and neocate...it continued. then stopped for a bit---we pulled her off solids to get her to grow (she threw up to banana and avacado- so we wanted to be sure she grew and wasn't getting any allergens)--

okay so she has thrived on Neocate and such and finally her body got used to it---so a week or so ago I tried adding solids again---which I desperately want to do. ---Neocate is SOOO expensive and at a year the less of it we can give her the better (money wise-) but I obviously want to do what's best for her. before the neocate we were slowly introducing solids and she was loving it and wanting it. ---1st off she didn't want the solids---and MUST have an overactive gag reflux too because she gags stuff (which is why I'm unsure if it's the texture of the avacado/banana or an allergy)- and then she gets a bleeding bum (from poo contact) to stuff---and just this week she it seemed she ate all the things w had cleared (peas, sweet potato, plum, pumpkin)- and her PEE turned acidic or something---wherever her pee touched it was raw and red---it has taken a couple days for that to stop... NOW I don't know what to do---she hasn't had solids in a couple days and today she had mucous in her stool--all she's had is the Neocate.

Help me! any ideas?!! I'm worried she'll never eat solids--does neocate make it harder for the body to tolerate them? or do you think she just has extensive damage. the only thing I can think of is probiotics!?!??

I make homeade coconut milk yogurt with gi pro probiotic starter--should I try that or something else? will you link to some dairy safe ones?!!

how could she be born with such a HORRIBLE gut?! I mean--just 1 bottle of milk formula she got blood in her stools and mucous?! I had never had dairy for the 9 months that I exclusively nursed her until then..hmmm any insight? anything?!!

See less See more
#3 ·
With blood in the stool, she probably has a milk allergy, not just bad gut flora. I would probably keep her just on the Neocate for a couple weeks, and then trial foods one at a time to see which ones are bothering her. Are you still nursing? If so- are you keeping detailed food journal too see if your diet matches up with any of her symptoms?

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaLue View Post

i want to see if anyone has any ideas.

she got a bum rash...

...- and then she gets a bleeding bum (from poo contact) to stuff-

...and her PEE turned acidic or something---wherever her pee touched it was raw and red---it has taken a couple days for that to stop...

Help me! any ideas?!! I'm worried she'll never eat solids--does neocate make it harder for the body to tolerate them? or do you think she just has extensive damage. the only thing I can think of is probiotics!?!??

I make homeade coconut milk yogurt with gi pro probiotic starter--should I try that or something else? will you link to some dairy safe ones?!!

how could she be born with such a HORRIBLE gut?! I mean--just 1 bottle of milk formula she got blood in her stools and mucous?! I had never had dairy for the 9 months that I exclusively nursed her until then..hmmm any insight? anything?!!
Just some reassurance and a suggestion to remove dairy from diet, if you have any at all.

My dd had all of those symptoms, but they didn't show up until 3 years old, when my daughter's milk intake dramatically increased because she started nursing much less. It was hard for me to figure out, because it really didn't matter what solids she ate, she had those reactions.

Eventually, I figured out that I had to eliminate all dairy, including Lactose-free milk. And that was it. The symptoms were much better within a few days, and gone within a week. Seemed so simple, and yet it took me almost a year to figure it out. I didn't do anything with probiotics, or anything involving the gut. In fact, my dd never used probiotics. Just eliminated dairy completely.

My dd has eaten solids just fine ever since then, and she is now 7.5 y.o. So this incident did not result in any permanent eating aversions or damage. The only problem was that this delayed potty training by a really long time. My dd was dry through the night at 18 months old, but the daytime was no good, mostly because everytime she peed on the toilet, anything her urine touched became painful. Not exactly a positive feedback loop. But, eventually, she did toilet train, and everything has been just fine for years.

Oh, one thing about the coconut milk. My dd had the same symptoms with coconut oil and coconut milk, and coconut. That also took longer than I like to admit to figure out. Of course, many children can tolerate coconut, but mine couldn't.

I should also mention that my dd wasn't interested in solids even at 10 months, and didn't eat regular solids until 12 months or so. After that, she was/is considered to be a fine eater. However, all of my lovely homemade babyfood went to waste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.