Slow head growth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am puzzled as to what could be going on with my LO. The doctors seem to think that she is having food allergies, but i am afraid it might be something else? My LO has had some food reactions since about a week after she was born. (green mucuosy stools with blood) she is exclusively breast fed.  in general however, she seems to be a very happy baby, is meeting all her milestones, and sleeps beautifully thru the night. She started off life in the 50th percentile for weight, 60th for height, and 98th for head. She is now in the 8th percentile for weight, 50th for height, and 60th for head. She is only 12 weeks old. I was worried she might have a metabolic disorder of some kind, but she got the newbown screening at birth and all came back normal. The doctor suspects that i could possibly have leaky gut due to the results of my IGg allergy test. What could be going on with her? I've never heard of slow head growth due to food allergies. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar that could help me understand what could be going on? TIA

#2 of 3 Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What kind of Dr are you seeing?  

I don't think a regular ped or allergist would jump to food issues for slow head growth.  Also, at 12 weeks I am not convinced there is enough data to be able to say "There's a problem here."  With no other issues, I would start a food log (your intake) /symptom log (for her) and see if there is anything you can pinpoint.  

#3 of 3 Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm with pp -- why are they thinking it's an issue? I'm not convinced that those stats mean much, other than diversity. But maybe there's something I don't know about the stats.

My second son had a relatively small head at birth, and now has a pretty regular sized head. I remember making myself not worry, because I knew I shouldn't. 12 weeks is really young to be thinking about this, imo. Especially if she's happy, sleeps well, and is meeting her milestones. Just enjoy her, I say!

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page