Dairy-free, soy-free, and gluten-free snacks? (X-posted in Nutrition & Good Eating) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am getting ready to embark on a month long elimination diet with my family to remove dairy, soy, gluten, and eggs from our family's diet.  My husband has suffered life long skin and joint issues.  My son suffers from similar skin issues, as well as sleep issues and some hyperactivity.  And now my newborn is showing signs of the same skin issues, as well as extreme gas and fussing.  Basically, everyone in the house could possibly benefit from identifying foods we shouldn't eat.  I've done a lot of reading, and have planned out a two week menu (that I can cycle again).  I'm the kind of person who needs a plan for this to be successfully done.  But my hitch is snacks.  I like to snack, and as a nursing mama, I need to have snacks around.

Do y'all have snack ideas?  Really, I'm stumped.  The cookbooks I've found mostly cover dinners, and meals.  I just need ideas of what I can grab when I'm hungry in the afternoon that goes beyond carrot sticks and peanut butter (which, btw, we buy just the freshly ground peanuts).  I know that soy and dairy are lurkers, but any ideas. be they off the shelf safe snacks and brands, or things I can make ahead of time to have on hand, would be most appreciated!!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

hummus

rice crackers

corn chips and salsa

chex 

dried fruit

potato chips

#3 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This one was a big one for us also as my L has the same allergies except she can have egg(but she won't eat it)..

Snacks were tough for us...Many that I found weren't the best for being healthy but we did what we could..

Tings

Lays chips(wavy)

Baggies of dry cereal(Gorilla Munch)

GF crackers with gf pepperoni or bologna(circles)

Whole fruits..grapes,banana wheels,berries and sliced strawberries were our favorites.She also liked cantalope..

Baby carrots with hm dairy free ranch dressing.

Fruit snacks(I believe Annies are soy free???)

Dried fruit

Hm Gorp

popcorn

popcicles

Yogurt(so delicious coconut vanilla is yummy)

Fritos

raisens

Fruit cups(we liked pears and baby oranges)

Hm french fries with ketchup(never argue with a 4 year old :>)

There is more I am sure but I am drawing a big blank...But these are our big ones for her lunch box and treats for school when there is a birthday...It is monotmous but you get used to it...Good luck getting it all figured out...Hope it brings the relief you need for your family..

#4 of 4 Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a lot of recipes on my blog & snack ideas: www.allergicadventures.com & amazon is a great place to order food from, I've saved a lot of $$ that way- I get olive oil potato chips there, erewhon brown rice cereal, barneys almond butter, etc. Applegate farms is also a good source of meats free of all those, but it is spendy. Food for Life's gf breads & English muffins are good toasted...good luck, I know this is something we need to do as a family, it's def. a big commitment that we just haven't made yet for all of us!

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page