Anyone up for a chat thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Pregnancy made my allergies much, much worse.  Decades ago my doctor suggested my leg aches were due to allergies and sent me to an allergist who diagnosed milk (since faded).  Unfortunately, he didn't test for oats, being only 8yo he only tested for the Big Ones.  Fast forward to today, and my leg aches are very rare.  My weird food connection is citrus, especially grapefruit.  I feel much better after eating them.

What I was bemoaning this morning was some of the environmental choices I've had to make because of the allergies in the family.  I buy my youngest, non-allergic daughter her cow milk in those individual serving aseptic boxes.  This prevents us from mistaking milk cartons for soy milk cartons (the brand we prefer is Organic Valley in 2 quart milk cartons which look exactly like OV cow milk).  It also prevents a half-a-glass from being mistaken for soy milk. As the cartons build up in the recycling bin, I cringe but it has to be this way, dd1's milk allergy is that severe.

We eat way more meat than even I prefer, with so many veg options off the table.  And we buy (organic) palm shortening which is bringing down the Indonesian forests rapidly.

I do my best, but it's painful sometimes.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#32 of 37 Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wasn't good to myself over Thanksgiving. Especially with having 3 Thanksgivings in one week, and each one filled with lots of non-allergic people. However, just being off gluten for a few days and then having it again seemed to cause immediate reactions for me. Is it possible, as soon as you ingest something, to have the guts start noisily reacting? I haven't noticed this with the dairy which does give me hope since I LOVE dairy. Anyway, hopping back on the wagon and trying to see this thing through. 

#33 of 37 Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Well, I have started to react to the dairy, and I am reacting before my DS, so I think this is a leaky gut type situation for me that is negatively affecting my DS.  At least I'm pretty sure it's the dairy...and Advil took care of most of my symptoms.  It took a couple of days for the effects to gear up, so it's probably going to get worse before it gets better :(

So I guess I need to re eliminate dairy, even though it was so much fun to cheat!! I was like a maniac, lol! Oh well.....

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#34 of 37 Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!  Anyone still hanging around?  I never meant to abandon this thread, but December was full of computer issues x2 machines, our internet was completely out for a week, and I spent most of December sewing like mad preparing Christmas presents for the kids.  I'm so happy it is January!  So how is everyone else?

I've recently started the GAPS diet.  Even after my elimination diet, I seemed to be having random reactions too regularly.  The GAPS book I'd requested months before finally arrived through interlibrary loan and it seemed to fit me to a T.  It is really ROUGH though.  I'm hoping it will help.  I think my issues are actually way more serious than I'd thought.  I'm still trying to regulate constipation and I have several indications my body just isn't absorbing nutrients properly.  I am feeling better, and losing tons of weight in the process.  Thankfully, I have plenty to lose.  But this is going to be a long journey, and at times I'm just feeling so left out and want to just eat a donut. LOL  Or even fruit.  Any fruit.  I've completely eliminated all sweet foods, starch, etc.  Except for what feeds my water kefir.  I've gotten very good and making homemade soups and broths.  And I just made my very first batch of sauerkraut, which just tickles me!  Both my husband's and my family come from German heritage, so kraut is something we've had occasionally, but always bought.  But it is so darn easy to make.  They only had red cabbage when dh was shopping, so it's a lovely purple-y blue color.  

All said, I just keep telling myself this will pass.  I'll be able to eat more eventually.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#35 of 37 Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 AM

I'm still around :)

December got very busy for us too - for everyone I'm sure! I finally got an allergy test done, and the results indicated that I was off the charts allergic to garlic - not something I would have guessed! I also got high levels on yeast and beans.  Low levels on about twenty something other things, including the whey, gluten, and wheat.  It kind of confirms my leaky gut theory for myself, and the only reason why I haven't started the GAPS diet yet is that I am scared.  I know that I need to do it both for myself and for my son, but I am scared to start. 

mylilmonkeys you are an inspiration for me to get my butt in gear and just do it!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#36 of 37 Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

My oldest has added rice back into her diet and we have had no trouble this time.  Before it would give her head aches, but that was two years ago.  Her mood seems to have changed for the better as well!  I am still leery because I have multiple mild allergies, and all those added together leaves me feeling pretty cruddy, but since I don't see any outward changes in her, I'll have to give that responsibility to her.  She did give up eating egg whites on her own, so I'll have to trust that she can make some of these decisions on her own.  I was pretty peeved that a peppermint Lifesaver from Christmas apparently has dairy in it, or wheat.  We got it in a gift, no package for the ingredients.  I was trying to be careful sorting out her Christmas candy (from the "hoards", obviously I would never buy her candy with milk or wheat!).  She is also careful as well, but this one blindsided us.  Her tongue got all hot and tingly.  Crap!  Last time I pass out unfamiliar candy.

Someone explain the GAPS diet to me.....

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#37 of 37 Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a website for the GAPS diet: http://gapsdiet.com/  The diet is based on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, with a little modifications.  (I think the SCD allows dairy in greater quantity from the get go or something.)

The website will give you enough info to get an idea, but I really recommend getting the book.  I decided to buy the book, after I had to return the library copy.  I will say, I wish the book was laid out a bit better.  I ended up bouncing around quite a bit.  But the main point of the diet is to heal the gut and seal the leaks.  I recommend taking it as slowly as possible.  I chose to make a raw salad last week, and could tell immediately that I am just not ready for raw food and I'm still paying for it.  

Overall, I do physically feel a lot better.  But my IBS-C is still not under control.  I'm adding peppermint tea as I read that will kill bacteria overgrowth.  It can't hurt.  I apparently am not absorbing B12, which help keeps bacteria populations in check, so I hope the peppermint along with my kefir will help balance the cultures.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page