Anyone up for a chat thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Going through this process of nailing down food allergies is such a complex process, and surprisingly emotional!  I'd like a place I can share my experiences without boring the rest of the people in my life to tears. LOL  Anyone with me?

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#2 of 37 Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Yes, please!  What's for dinner tonight?  Har! Har!  That's a joke in our house........

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 37 Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 PM

I'll chat!  My kids are older (pre-teen and teen) so we've pretty much figured out the worst of their intolerances after all these years.  Yep, dinner planning is a joke around here too since they have many opposing intolerances.  I wish I could just pick out a fun recipe, make it and have all of us enjoy it sometimes, but for now it's not in the cards.   

#4 of 37 Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Great!  It's been kind of a rough week for me.  I accidentally exposed myself to lactate on Monday night, and could barely get out of bed on Tuesday.  I get swelling and pain in my ear canals and sinuses, headaches and pain down my lymph system in the back of my neck and intense fatigue.  It's taken most of the week to work that out of my system.  And brats are off the menu. ;) 

Tonight we're having pork steak, rice, a veg and soup.  I haven't decided yet if I'll make bean soup or get around to processing some pie pumpkins for a pumpkin soup.  

I'm also going to do a gluten challenge this weekend.  I know I have corn and dairy intolerances/allergies, but I sort of eliminated gluten on a whim and that has actually been the easiest to avoid accidentally exposing myself to.  

I finally made an appointment to try to get a referral to an allergist.  I have a feeling that there are some other things I might be having subtle reactions to.  But I'm not confident I can get what I need in this area.  I have had a hard time getting adequate medical help in general.  I'd like to avoid a TED while nursing twins, though!

Oh, and I made my very first chicken stock this week, per GAPS diet I started drinking that yesterday.  I'm still waiting for my library to call that the GAPS book is ready for me.  And I have my first batch of water kefir brewing.  

#5 of 37 Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM

My daughter had her in-office peanut challenge.  Peanut was never high as far as the numbers went, but we had been avoiding it all the same.  So, she gets some on her skin--no problem.  She has ultra-sensitive skin, so seeing no redness is a big relief.  

Then she says with a smile "The peanut butter tickles!"  (I'm sure it does, I say, but inside I'm thinking ummmm.....)  

Then she says, several times in various ways once she gets to taste some, "Thinking of Daddy reminded me that my tongue feels hot!"  She is loving the peanut butter, but I'm thinking, what am supposed to do with this?

In the end, we decided she could go ahead and have PB.  We couldn't definitively decide that her comments were allergy related and clearly there was no swelling or hives, soooo....

Long story short, I now carry the Epi-Pen religiously!  I'm not convinced, but there it is.... she loves the PB.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#6 of 37 Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'd hate to give up PB, too!

#7 of 37 Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM

The worst is at Halloween, with pounds and pounds of Reese's PB cups in the house!  PB and honey, salty and sweet.  I stopped tolerating PB after dd2 was born.  Very weird!

#8 of 37 Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 PM

I recently bought almond butter cups for my kids. They love them! (We don't do peanut butter around here either.)  I also saw sunflower butter cups, though didn't try them.    

#9 of 37 Old 11-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Hazelnut butter cups would be just up my alley, if they existed, but nuts are entirely off the menu gloomy.gif .  Hmm, I wonder how those sunflower cups taste?

#10 of 37 Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM

I'm curious if any of you eat things you are not supposed to, especially on Halloween and holidays.  For me, it usually has to do with sweets and most of the time I don't regret it but I feel it.  How do you deal with the temptation?  How important is it that you are 100% clear?

#11 of 37 Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

SweetSilver - I am so new at this that any tiny exposure causes me some pretty uncomfortable symptoms.  If I am wanting something sweet, I mix up a pot of rice pudding with almond milk, or get a box of gluten free brownie mix from the grocery store.  I was surprised I didn't have the smallest desire to eat any of the kids' candy.  But I did throw it out after three days because their behavior became atrocious!  

I did my gluten challenge over the weekend and failed.  My reactions are slightly more subtle than corn and much less than dairy, but undeniable.  I have an appointment with my GP for a referral to an allergist tomorrow morning.  I think maybe my small reactions through the day are just cross-contamination.  We're transitioning the kids to mom's new diet as we use stuff up, but I'm not entirely sure what to do about lunches and stuff when we're all home.  Usually they make their own sandwiches.  Any tips would be appreciated!

#12 of 37 Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 AM

I don't cheat on Halloween, but I do at extended family gatherings, like at Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I think it's important to just let go and have a little fun sometimes.  I get tired of the every day what to eat grind for me and the kids.  Cheating on the food intolerances is a vacation of sorts, until the next day when we all feel crummy.  

#13 of 37 Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I went to see my GP today, and had the most supportive visit I've ever had there.  She put me on a TED (greensad.gif) which I was hoping to somehow avoid having to do, but since I am still having mild reactions after some meals, it's the logical thing to do.  She was actually very excited that I'm taking these steps because most of the people she sees with IBS and other things that indicate food sensitivities have no desire to do it.  So I have to go through the diet sheets she gave me and figure out what DH can buy when he shops on Friday.  She assured me that after cutting out Dairy/Gluten/Corn this will be a piece of cake.  We'll see.  Three weeks on and then we'll start adding in foods.  I think Peanut Butter will be first to try. LOL

#14 of 37 Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 AM

how is the diet going for you?? i give you huge kudos for even attempting it at this point - you said you were nursing twins, right!?  ugh! it's amazing what food can do to a person. 

it's funny, i eliminated several foods from my diet when my DS had been having persistent GI issues...sometimes i feel like super mom for handling all of the "restrictions", and other times i feel like i am teetering on the edge of a breakdown! it really is an emotional process, and it feels really good to have a place to come where people "get it". 

i hope things are working out!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#15 of 37 Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 PM

After reading this thread I went and checked out the GAPS diet. It seems like something that would be good for me to do. How is that going? Do you know of any websites that are a bit more detailed about it?

#16 of 37 Old 11-18-2011, 09:03 AM

i've really only looked at gapsiet.com, but there is a lot of info there.  i hear a lot of success stories about this diet...if you are able to stick through it.  after the night i had last night with my DS, i think i am going to try it.  i'm trying to get some other people on board so that i don't have to go it alone.....

i see my doc at the end of the month to talk about it - i'm not exactly the ideal candidate for restricting my diet, but i really don't think i can take this wondering anymore.  i feel like my poor DS is in pain, (although he is such a happy boy, it's hard for most people to imagine, but i can tell that there is something "off").  i think it will probably help me too, but i am really overwhelmed by the thought of actually trying to pull this off....

#17 of 37 Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been an interesting week.  The start of this TED was really difficult and emotional.  I was at a good place with just the GF/CF/corn free stuff having lots of options for breakfast/lunch, and now having to eliminate peanut butter and eggs, it's been huge.  I've also done the nightshade option, because I've been having joint pain since I was 13 (at that age, my ped actually diagnosed arthritis!).  Mostly it's my thumbs, and I like to knit and play Clarinet which puts a lot of stress on those joints.  But, once I sat down and planned out meals and dh went to the store 2 or 3 times, we're doing alright.  I've also gone from rarely cooking to cooking everything from scratch.  I spend most of my days in the kitchen, it seems.  We'll be having GF turkey meatballs, parmesan-less pesto on GF noodles for dinner tonight.  One week down.  Two more to go before I can start challenging foods.  

#18 of 37 Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Wow, do I ever miss eggs!  How do you make meatballs without them?

#19 of 37 Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Top 8 Free Meatballs :)

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup "milk" (I use homemade rice milk)

1/2 cup "bread" crumbs (we are gluten free so I have my crumb recipe which is rice crackers and Mary's Gone Crackers original)

1/4 cup finely chopped onion (or onion powder to taste)

2 TBSP. parsley

1 tsp. salt

2 lbs. ground beef

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on size of meatballs.  I freeze these and microwave them when I need them!

#20 of 37 Old 11-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

our meatballs are just ground meat, a little onion powder, oregano, sea salt, pepper, and a little of some kind of "flour" (sorghum, rice, buckwheat, whatever). Bake at 375F for 18 minutes (1" balls). You don't even need all that other stuff.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#21 of 37 Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

our meatballs are just ground meat, a little onion powder, oregano, sea salt, pepper, and a little of some kind of "flour" (sorghum, rice, buckwheat, whatever). Bake at 375F for 18 minutes (1" balls). You don't even need all that other stuff.

Similar to ours.  The recipe that I used (that I can't find now) called for olive oil, but no flour.  

I still seem to be reacting to something almost every day after breakfast.  I think it might be the Almond milk.  On one page of my diet it says to eliminate almonds, and on another that Almond milk is an acceptable milk substitute. ?  I had bought some coconut milk for a recipe so I think I'll switch to that and see if it takes care of the problem.  My glands in my throat are aching every day and I am really upset that I'm going through all this and still not figuring out what the issue is.  Oh, and the IBS-C is back since the TED.  It could be cross contamination, as the kids still have bread, non-GF cereal, milk, and eggs.  But I try to be really careful and am cleaning and washing dishes all day long.  

On the plus side, I've lost just over 10 lbs. About 2 lbs a week since eliminating dairy.

#22 of 37 Old 11-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Allergies do give us the discipline to stop eating too much!  We are allergic to almonds in this house.  Often it is sweetened with rice syrup, and that is out as well.  Invert sugar?  Corn.  Barley syrup, even agave syrup gives me trouble (weird intolerance?).  Watch out for the additional ingredients in the alternative milks.  Hemp milk also didn't sit well with me.

#23 of 37 Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Well, it's been an interesting week.  The start of this TED was really difficult and emotional.  I was at a good place with just the GF/CF/corn free stuff having lots of options for breakfast/lunch, and now having to eliminate peanut butter and eggs, it's been huge.  I've also done the nightshade option, because I've been having joint pain since I was 13 (at that age, my ped actually diagnosed arthritis!).  Mostly it's my thumbs, and I like to knit and play Clarinet which puts a lot of stress on those joints.  But, once I sat down and planned out meals and dh went to the store 2 or 3 times, we're doing alright.  I've also gone from rarely cooking to cooking everything from scratch.  I spend most of my days in the kitchen, it seems.  We'll be having GF turkey meatballs, parmesan-less pesto on GF noodles for dinner tonight.  One week down.  Two more to go before I can start challenging foods.  

Kudos to you for getting through the week! And sharing what you're eating, that is what I am interested in :) I'm so far one DAY without dairy and gluten. This has been something I've wanted to do for a long time but I lack the discipline. I'm hoping that this time around I can go just finish out the MONTH, it would be so nice not to have itchy skin and rashes. The challenging part for me is that my husband is still eating dairy and gluten, and these things are still in the house which is a sore temptation. As long as I am keeping ahead of the game with a meal plan I am able to withstand it.

#24 of 37 Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to start a blog with what I am eating, because I forget what I have done before and it's easier to have some place to look it up without hunting down all the recipes again.  I was just talking to my sis who lives in another state and quite independently has been considering taking her middle daughter off gluten, while my dad who is living with her shares many of my health issues.  His are so bad that he thinks he's no longer absorbing B12.  I'm hoping if I lay it all out, I can point them there and they may be more willing to give an ED a shot.  Anyway, I hope it's ok to share the link here.  I only have last week's menu up with a few links, but I'll be posting the rest of my recipes and linking them in as I gather it all together.  https://goodfoodfree.wordpress.com/

aubreyroberts - You can do it!  It only took me a few short days to feel a remarkable difference, and I think it will be enough to keep me off dairy forever.  Good luck!

Sweetsilver - Thanks for the ideas.  I'm reacting again today and I didn't have the almond milk, but I have reused some of the jugs to store my water kefir, so maybe contamination?  Also the kefir is made with white sugar.  I think I'll switch the next batch to maple syrup and find another glass container.  Actually, my breakfasts yesterday and today were completely different.  My twins are nursing, but when they're done I need to go read labels and figure out what might be in common yesterday and today.  Off the top of my head I can only think perhaps sugar?  Oh, and some apple cider, but that was just bought and wouldn't have explained reactions last week.  I had a rice pancake mix yesterday with home made apple butter on top, with a cup of cider.  Today I had some chicken broth (ala GAPS) homemade but with a prepared chicken, kefir mixed with cider and a protein shake with pea protein, coconut milk, frozen blueberries and peaches.  Gland pain seems to come on about an hour after breakfast and usually subsides before dinner.  I also get a slight headache which goes away at about the same time as the gland pain.

#25 of 37 Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM

ug, the joys!

i agree, the difference in how i feel after cutting the foods is so remarkable it's actually pretty easy to not want to "cheat"...although I did remove as much of the food i couldn't eat as possible while i was "detoxing"....if not just so that my DH wouldn't accidentally use something i couldn't eat if he cooked.

i actually decided that i am going to start a local support group in my area, since there are a few people i know who want to try some kind of variation of an elimination diet....it will keep us all accountable and we can share recipes to keep things interesting. 

i do remember that i felt pretty horrible while the dairy was getting out of my system...i had withdrawal type effects and it made me have a runny nose and stuff too. ..another reason why it's relatively easy to say no to dairy now!! the gluten and soy each have their own effect, and i can totally tell which food i had an "exposure" to by which symptoms i have...and how it affects my DS.

#26 of 37 Old 11-21-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

i agree, the difference in how i feel after cutting the foods is so remarkable it's actually pretty easy to not want to "cheat"...

Yes, the effects are huge.  I have absolutely no temptation to eat oats ever ever ever, but I do *miss* eating that awesome munchy granola that I'm mildly famous for in these parts.  It's the milder allergies that still create a temptation.  But eggs, even in those scrumptious baked goods, are making me feel worse and worse when I indulge.  I think because I've been indulging less often.  So, now I'm feeling it pretty quickly, and badly, too.  Oh, well.  I have this gorgeous pumpkin-orange spice cake I made for dh and a potluck.  I ate half of one (really!) yesterday and I sorely regret it.  

My daughter really loved the pumpkin-oat bars I invented for her yesterday.  Of course, because I started out with way too much maple syrup and honey.  I'll need to dial that down a bit without her noticing..... Kind of hard to bake when you can't taste test it!

#27 of 37 Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Yes, the effects are huge.  I have absolutely no temptation to eat oats ever ever ever, but I do *miss* eating that awesome munchy granola that I'm mildly famous for in these parts.  It's the milder allergies that still create a temptation.  But eggs, even in those scrumptious baked goods, are making me feel worse and worse when I indulge.  I think because I've been indulging less often.  So, now I'm feeling it pretty quickly, and badly, too.  Oh, well.  I have this gorgeous pumpkin-orange spice cake I made for dh and a potluck.  I ate half of one (really!) yesterday and I sorely regret it.  

My daughter really loved the pumpkin-oat bars I invented for her yesterday.  Of course, because I started out with way too much maple syrup and honey.  I'll need to dial that down a bit without her noticing..... Kind of hard to bake when you can't taste test it!

Yes! In my house it's just my one year old and me at home, since my DH works a gazillion hours, so most of the time I don't have to worry about making different meals for different people.  My DH eats what I eat at home, but occasionally I will make him a "treat", but it's hard since I can't taste is, and I am so out of practice, lol!

#28 of 37 Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

So, it seems to be refined sugar.  Whew, I'm glad to finally have that figured out.  Of course, I came down with a cold yesterday afternoon and now my throat is sore anyway.  But it's a different sore.  The twins both have colds.  It seems every time my dh has some time off, someone's sick.  Sooo frustrating when we hardly see him normally.  

#29 of 37 Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 AM

I am late for the chat, but I am here! I have loads of allergies, but that was only after I got lyme disease years ago. I am now grain, egg, dairy, banana, soy (most of the time) free. It was tough at first, but I am used to it now. I also have histamine reactions to foods, but it is less since going off all grains, not just gluten, and for some reason, a small amount of wine with dinner makes it so I can eat potatoes without any reaction. I have no idea how this works.

Oh and when make meatalls, GF and egg free, I use almond flour in place of the bread crumbs. So goood!

To avoid the allergies, we skipped family gatherings for thanksgiving. We just did our own thing at home and it was so nice not havig to deal with a reaction with one of my kids for a week after.

BabySmurf, that idea of a support group is a great idea. I would totally join if I were in your state! Now I am think of creating a group here...
#30 of 37 Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

So, it seems to be refined sugar.  Whew, I'm glad to finally have that figured out.  Of course, I came down with a cold yesterday afternoon and now my throat is sore anyway.  But it's a different sore.  The twins both have colds.  It seems every time my dh has some time off, someone's sick.  Sooo frustrating when we hardly see him normally.  

Oh, I hear that cutting out the refined sugar (although tough) makes a huge impact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

I am late for the chat, but I am here! I have loads of allergies, but that was only after I got lyme disease years ago. I am now grain, egg, dairy, banana, soy (most of the time) free. It was tough at first, but I am used to it now. I also have histamine reactions to foods, but it is less since going off all grains, not just gluten, and for some reason, a small amount of wine with dinner makes it so I can eat potatoes without any reaction. I have no idea how this works.
Oh and when make meatalls, GF and egg free, I use almond flour in place of the bread crumbs. So goood!
To avoid the allergies, we skipped family gatherings for thanksgiving. We just did our own thing at home and it was so nice not havig to deal with a reaction with one of my kids for a week after.
BabySmurf, that idea of a support group is a great idea. I would totally join if I were in your state! Now I am think of creating a group here...

I had Lyme disease a while back as well, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with things.  All of those antibiotics couldn't have been good.  That's a really funny connection to make between the wine and potatoes! I wonder how many other things it could help, lol!

Other than posting on facebook to gather a few friends, there is a woman here who is starting up a nutritional business (think making raw food type snacks and nutritional counseling), and she has a few hundred people behind her, and i brought up the idea of a group outlet in addition to her one on one's....it's just starting out, so we will see how it works.  Maybe there is someone in a similar situation in your area you could connect with? I think that there are a lot of people who feel discouraged about this stuff and don't know where to turn.  I found it a pretty lonely experience, so I think this could work out. 

You responded to my other post, so you know we had an accidental exposure...which lead to utter break down of our "diet".  And no horrible reactions.  I'm still thinking about doing a GAPS type diet (not an introduction, but a full diet), to see if that keeps our symptoms away. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page