Humidifier for possible asthma - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So dd may or may not have asthma, but she has had a cough for over a month now and we can't seem to get it to go away.  The first step was allergy medication, the next step is albuterol, and then steroids.  Well, according to her ped anyway.  So we would like to get a humidifier to see if that might help before jumping to a bunch more meds, but we are unsure what to get. 

Cool mist?  Warm mist?  Any particular brands/models quieter and easier to keep clean?  I recall hating our old humidifier (that we gave away) b/c you had to soak the filter in vinegar like every week and it was so loud I couldn't sleep through it.

Thanks in advance!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#2 of 3 Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Not sure if your dd has a dust mite allergy, but if that is a possibility, I would stay away from a humidifier.

What we have done that seems to really work is putting a sodium chloride solution in my DS nebulizer. You can buy it over the counter at most pharmacies and our doc said it was a great idea for a cough (we only do it with a cough and will add in the asthma meds if needed).

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is!

#3 of 3 Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Thanks mamefati...  We did end up getting cheap warm mist humidifier to see how it worked.  The first night she didn't cough at all and didn't cough in the morning either!  The next two nights she did cough a bit in the night, but I'd say her cough has improved during the day.  So I guess it could be helping!  Our son got sick a few days ago and we bought a second one for him (they were on sale!) and I can't tell if it helps him or not, but his congestion isn't too bad considering how bad mine still is with the same cold.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page