(adult) weight gain as a sign of gluten intolerance or celiac? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-09-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gluten makes me gain weight even when I eat otherwise healthy, reasonable amount of calories, exercise well.  When I go gluten free (as I have for nursing) I lose weight and get to my ideal body weight really easily even though I probably eat the same amount of calories overall.  When I eat gluten my weight steadily rises to an unhealthy level.  Would this be a sign of gluten intolerance or celiac if there are no other known symptoms?  I still feel the same energy wise and health wise, but wonder if the fact that it makes me weirdly gain weight might be an indication of an underlying gluten problem that could be causing digestive damage or something.

#2 of 6 Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wouldn't look for problems where there don't seem to be any.

Your body processes things differently in the absence of processed grains. 

#3 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't know if it indicates anything, but I have the same thing. When I go grain-free, I can lose weight relatively easily. I'm sure for me that it's mostly due to the fact that grains and grain-based foods are much higher in calories and carbs than fruits and veggies (which are what get substituted in my diet when I'm grain-free, b/c I do also try to eat whole foods).

#4 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM

I lost a lot of weight when I started having gluten trouble, nothing got digested anymore.

#5 of 6 Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear I am not alone!  I know I shouldn't be looking for problems lol.gif .  It's just that all the allergy and digestive reading I have done in the past makes me paranoid that I am doing silent damage so I jump on any minor symptoms.  Thanks for the replies.

#6 of 6 Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow2 View Post

Gluten makes me gain weight even when I eat otherwise healthy, reasonable amount of calories, exercise well.  When I go gluten free (as I have for nursing) I lose weight and get to my ideal body weight really easily even though I probably eat the same amount of calories overall.  When I eat gluten my weight steadily rises to an unhealthy level.  Would this be a sign of gluten intolerance or celiac if there are no other known symptoms?  I still feel the same energy wise and health wise, but wonder if the fact that it makes me weirdly gain weight might be an indication of an underlying gluten problem that could be causing digestive damage or something.

It can definitely be a sign. Malabsorption does not always equal weight loss, some people's bodies go into starvation mode when their body is not absorbing nutrients and that causes their body to hold onto fat for fear of starving. You also mention you went gfree for nursing, if your baby reacts to gluten then there's a good chance you do as well.

Gluten definitely causes me to gain/makes it hard to lose weight, I also notice I retain water really bad when eating gluten.

Nursing was what made me realize I had a problem with gluten as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page