3rd c/s scheduled, already have 2 DS with multiple food intolerances - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-19-2011, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any words of wisdom here?  We were really hoping for a VBAC, but despite all our best efforts to turn her, this LO has remained transverse or oblique for weeks.

I have food intolerances, so I know that there is some genetic link.  I've healed my gut substantially since my last was born (I have far fewer issues than I did) through many suggestions I found on this forum, but I do blame my DS's surgical births on at least part of their issues.

Are their probiotics you would suggest immediately after birth (dairy-free since all of us have that in common.

She will be nursing exclusively and I'll keep doing everything I did with DS#2 to help him, but while he's doing great now, it was so bad for 2+ years, I'd really like to avoid that.

#2 of 6 Old 11-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Hmmm...generally I would have suggested florastor because antibiotics can't kill it like they kill other probiotics. My understanding is it doesn't have casein protein but does contain lactose. This link suggests a product that contains that strain of probiotic but doesn't have dairy at all? You could check into that. http://blog.rockwellnutrition.com/2011/09/is-florastor-safe-for-a-dairy-sensitive-person/

I would do a very high quality and balanced probiotic (I like the Klaire labs Prothera sells) as soon as I could post surgery. They sell an infant formula too (and s. bouldari I see....the kind in florastor). I think they are allergen free. I'd check and if they are I'd look into supplementing the baby possibly.

Most important to protecting the baby imo are healthy vitamin D levels in pregnancy. Are your D levels 50 and above?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 6 Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply - I haven't had my Vit D checked lately, but it was in the mid-40s a year ago and I've been continuing on the dose that raised it from the 20s since then, so I'm assuming it's in good shape.

Looks like the florastor is a no go.  I can tolerate lactose in an occasional ingestion, but even things like Hyland's homeopathics bother me if kept up for more than a couple days. I've been thinking of experimenting with casein containing probiotics, but haven't yet.  Whey doesn't seem to bother any of us though.

I do drink kombucha daily and have for nearly 3 years.  I know there are mixed opinions on it during pregnancy and bfing, but I started when things were desperate with DS#2 and it seemed to help and have kept it up throughout his nursing and my pregnancy.  It seemed the consensus was that if your body was used to it, it was likely ok to keep doing.  So that should be a good source of S. Bouardi.  I've also been drinking coconut kefir.  Hopefully those two things will keep things going well, along with the Vit. D.

#4 of 6 Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 AM

Baby is going to be colonized by whatever it touches first, so if possible, have them put baby immediately on your chest. I've even heard of people rubbing some vaginal fluid on baby's face/lips following a c-section, so they get the natural bacteria from mother.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 6 Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM

I don't really have any advice to give, it sounds like you've been given great advice already and sound like you kinda know what you need to do. I did want to chime in on what you said about a surgical birth being partly to blame. I had a c/s with our first and she had digestive issues from day one despite me nursing her for 12 1/2 months, we didn't really start to put it all together until she was over a year. I always said I thought the c/s was partly to blame for her digestive issues until we had our second. Our second was born by VBAC and she actually has had worse digestive issues then her older sister, and I have nursed her for 27 months now. It wasn't until our second that I figured out my own food intolerances and then it all made sense, it's genetic. We're dealing with gluten intolerance (possible celiac) among other food intolerances.

#6 of 6 Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys.  I did try and get some vaginal fluid on her nose and lips.  There wasn't anyway to have her put on my chest in the OR.  It wasn't against the rules and we did try, but just couldn't make it work.  She did have to be briefly suctioned due to heavy meconium in my AF, but was examined *very* briefly and then handed to DH unbathed.

We'll see how it goes, a week into life and she's already started the spitting up.  I have no clue what "normal" spitting up is since I had two heavy vomiters, but I'm sensing we're already into some discomfort, even though her stools still look good.  I did manage to head off the serious oversupply issues and seem not to have the forceful letdown I did with my DSs, so I know she's not spitting and choking from her milk supply.  I'm trying to decide how long to give it before exploring elimination since I know it's still early. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page