Questions about eliminating foods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm nursing my 2 month old whos got what looks like eczema on her cheeks. Here are my elimination diet questions:

How long does it take to see results?

Do some things take longer to leave the body (ex. dairy vs soy vs gluten)?

How long do I wait to determine that the  elimination is NOT working? 

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 AM

I've read that dairy can take 2 weeks to get out of your system. The last time I tried reintroducing dairy, after being off of it for 5 months, it took about 3 weeks for DD's symptoms to go away.

Does your LO have any other symptoms? DD had eczema on the face, silent reflux, vomiting, gas pain, sleep disturbances and runny BMs.

Also, to really go off dairy, make sure you eliminate hidden sources. Ingredients like whey and casein are from milk and are in many prepared foods. Check out this link for more info: http://www.godairyfree.org/Food-to-Eat/Food-Label-Info/Hidden-Dairy.html

Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM

When I took out dairy with DS1, we saw results in just a few days.  We continued to see improvements in him for up to two weeks and it took about a month for me to see the full effects in myself.

Gluten seems to vary widely in reports.  I have removed it several times, once for myself and once for each of my DSs.  We never saw any change and went three months each time.  However, when I talked to an acupunturist and nutritional counselor about it recently, she tried to encourage me to do it again and do it for six months.  I'm not seeing symptoms that make me think that is worthwhile, but she seemed convinced it would take that long to clear your system.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

six months??! What? hmmm... we'll have to see how this round goes before i consider that. a definite lifestyle change.

as far as dairy goes, i'm seeing improvement and notice even more improvement on the days i make "power juice"... that is, sticking kale and or collard greens in a blender w/ OJ and drinking it down. maybe it pushes more stuff outta my system. i'll have to keep doing that on top of the dairy free, which i'm going on 2 weeks.

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

OH! one more question! if dairy is off limits, than should i not take my probiotics (lifestart for infants).  its a lactose base.  same goes with homeopathics with lactose in it.  I havent used any since i've eliminated and just wondering if i should use them.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 AM

My breastfeeding, dairy-sensitive son reacted to me taking homeopathics.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:22 PM

It depends on whether lactose is part of the sensitivity.  One of my dairy-sensitive sons is fine with it, the other (and myself) are not.  There are a multitude of proteins and other molecules to be sensitive to in milk.  Whey is fine for both of my boys, but again, not for me.  Casein is the most common protein to cause dairy issues and all three of us must avoid it.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmis View Post

OH! one more question! if dairy is off limits, than should i not take my probiotics (lifestart for infants).  its a lactose base.  same goes with homeopathics with lactose in it.  I havent used any since i've eliminated and just wondering if i should use them.

My understanding is that lactose"might" be okay, but my friend who's dd has severe dairy allergy avoids it due to risk of cross contamination

Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Getting frustrated! URgh.... seems like everytime something gets triggered, her skin breaks out worse and for longer! (i think i may have had a tiny bit of lactose the other day (about 5 days ago) in some soup that my mom made (afterwards, i looked at the ingredients in the packet she used and sure enough, lactose). i feel like i'm starting all over again!!

i'm almost debating putting steroids on her face to relieve some of her itching :(

am i jumping the gun to relieve some of her symptoms. is there anything i can put on her besides drugs to relieve he itch???

Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup there is dairy in everything. I would stop taking the probiotics if you are doing a serious elimination of dairy. That was an issue for us. We were fine with homeopathic remedies but we didn't take them very often anyway.

If my kids had rash, I would hope to see it start to clear up within a few days to 2 weeks. I eventlually had to cut out eggs, corn, gluten, dairy and bananas.
If exposed, I would start up on SA type vitamin C, vit D, magnesium, and perhaps b vitamins if I were low. I also have inositol on hand and molybdenum.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

If exposed, I would start up on SA type vitamin C, vit D, magnesium, and perhaps b vitamins if I were low. I also have inositol on hand and molybdenum.

whats SA?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

whats SA?

I believe she's talking about Sodium Ascorbate, but she can confirm.  I'm not sure why, though.  Would love to learn!

There are different kinds of dairy allergies:  ALL dairy, just the protein (casein--which is used in MANY products as a type of binding agent/glue), and lactose (which is the milk sugar and usually found in the homeopathic remedies).

Something to keep in mind is that roughly 80-85% of people who react to dairy are likely going to also react to soy.  It's best to remove both for 2 weeks and if you see improvement, reintroduce soy to see if things continue to plummet or not.

Also, there are kids that actually grow out of this as their immune system stabilizes (allergies are a function of the immune system).  Many grow out of it at 1yo, but still others may grow out of it by 2yo.  So don't lose hope.

You MAY actually see results of gluten-free longer than 6mo down the road.  

My major piece of advice is not to change more than one thing simultaneously.  If you do, you won't know which thing cause a reaction (whether the reaction is good or bad doesn't matter--you want to know what caused it).  In my suggestion above to remove dairy & soy at the same time, you'll note that I only suggest doing that until it's out of the system and then testing before going onward.  The last thing you want to do is 1) prolong the process by not being able to identify the true causes/sources; and 2) eliminate stuff you don't HAVE to eliminate.

Hugs, mama... it can be a frustrating thing!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 12-06-2011, 01:59 PM

Hello, mind if I jump in the thread?  I am also trialing a dairy elimination diet for my 2-month-old.  What are your experiences with prepared foods with no dairy-derived ingredients but which are processed on shared equipment with dairy?  OK or not?  I don't mind subbing almond milk for most things but am rather attached to my dark chocolate...

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 AM

Yes SA is sodium ascorbate, a high concentrated, buffered form of vitamin c. None other work the same. If we have any exposure to allergens, it helps fast to flush it out of the system. If we felt like it, we would also use clay.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

So far im daiey, soy gluten free. I ate the rest of one of my daughters snack bae a few days ago and then realized it had soy... urgh! Now my daughters face is SOOO red and itchy greensad.gif... not sure if that's surely what caused it thoto it doesto seem thatto henever she breaks out it gets worse. Im so desparate at this point to at least stop her itching. She was screaming this morning because she was swaddled and coudnt scratch greensad.gif

Is there a brand of sodium ascorbate? Is that (SA) literally the words I am looking for when searching for a product? I don't mean tovbe naive, but is the clay topical or ingested?

Is there anything that will stop the itch????? Ii feel sobetter bad forthat her ppoor skin and thethe many products ive used onfor it, but i've searched here and done the following
burts bees apricot oil
Albas unpetroleum
Some organic eczema salve
Aquaphor
baking soda paste (total bust. She screamed in pain)
face towel w cool water
face towel w warm water
face towel w colloidal oatmeal and water

I've done everything I know except steroids. I don't want to commpletely eliminate he symptoms either, just help her feel better.
SOS!! HELP!!!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Oops, just noticed all the typos. On my phone. Hope it all makes sense still.. innocent.gif

Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

Hello, mind if I jump in the thread?  I am also trialing a dairy elimination diet for my 2-month-old.  What are your experiences with prepared foods with no dairy-derived ingredients but which are processed on shared equipment with dairy?  OK or not?  I don't mind subbing almond milk for most things but am rather attached to my dark chocolate...

I haven't noticed any reaction with my daughter to dairy-free chocolate "made on shared equipment".  But she doesn't eat much chocolate, aside from ice cream etc.  Her skin is super sensitive to all dairy-derived products, so I think I would notice if it was a problem.  With the brands I've tried there has been no trouble so far.

I'd give it a go!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 PM

dd2 (6 weeks) had an eczema rash on face, ears, eyebrows (the parts that got scaly and then crusty).  have been off dairy strictly for one week (kept soy in my diet).  had one slip-up 3 days in and ate a sauce containing "lactic acid" and "butter flavour" (Patak's)...and she was a tiny bit more rashy the next day  Her rash also extended down on her chest and few small patches of rash (not crusty) on her arms and legs.  I have been wiping down her face with a warm wet washcloth, then immediately applying a thick layer of "Keys Tortuga" lotion (all natural, vegan)...3 or 4 times per day....plus running a warm mist humidifier in the bedroom.   her face is now soft and the clearest it's been since birth!  she still has reflux, often silent and mucousy bm's...but i'm suspecting that her LES is simply immature and the nucousy bm could be from all the saliva, etc being swallowed back down.  Last night we attended a Christmas party and i accidentally ate something with butter....so then i said "forget it" and indulged in some brownies which would have had butter in them also.  i guess that will be a bit of a test.

I don't know yet if it was dairy or just co-incidence and dry skin....but i'm going to give it a few more days of clear skin and then have a lot of fun indulging in dairy to test!

I HIGHLY recommend the Keys lotion - very emollient and natural.  a little goes a long way.  In Canada a source is www.hornetmountain.com  It's an American product, so I'm sure you can find a local source online easily enough.  Oh - had been using olive oil....but is wasn't thick enough to seal in moisture so it didn't work at all.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Oh I wanted to add that I've been eating lots of chocolate (no milk ingredients but no guarantee of no cross contamination)...but I'm also not convinced it's a dairy allergy or just dry air that caused her to break out (still testing)

Old 12-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Getting frustrated! URgh.... seems like everytime something gets triggered, her skin breaks out worse and for longer! (i think i may have had a tiny bit of lactose the other day (about 5 days ago) in some soup that my mom made (afterwards, i looked at the ingredients in the packet she used and sure enough, lactose). i feel like i'm starting all over again!!

i'm almost debating putting steroids on her face to relieve some of her itching :(

am i jumping the gun to relieve some of her symptoms. is there anything i can put on her besides drugs to relieve he itch???

Steroids are a short-term solution.  If she is in that much pain from the itch, I might use them temporarily.  You have to be careful with hydrocortisone or other steroids on the face, though, especially with a baby, as they could get into the eyes or nose.  Consult with your ped or NP first.  But I would be all for a palliative approach while looking for a long-term solution, especially in extreme cases.

Quote:

Is there anything that will stop the itch????? Ii feel sobetter bad forthat her ppoor skin and thethe many products ive used onfor it, but i've searched here and done the following
burts bees apricot oil
Albas unpetroleum
Some organic eczema salve
Aquaphor
baking soda paste (total bust. She screamed in pain)
face towel w cool water
face towel w warm water
face towel w colloidal oatmeal and water
I've done everything I know except steroids. I don't want to commpletely eliminate he symptoms either, just help her feel better.
SOS!! HELP!!!!!

Food-allergy-based skin irritation comes from inside.  I've helped relieve my daughter's dermographism with Aquaphor , and helped her poor red bum when she was in diapers, but (and I know this from first-hand experience) constant, low-level itching never stops entirely for us.  It was terrible before I eliminated oats, but even once I got rid of oats the itch goes on somewhat. The itch never totally goes away (no eczema for me, though, thankfully).  For me and dd it is triggered by simple contact with anything.  

Anyhow, I don't know that my comments were very helpful.  Two more products you can try are lard and cocoa butter.  I buy the tub of c.butter and chip some out into a little metal container that can be set in a small pan of hot water to melt it and use like oil.  For any barriers to work, they need to be applied often.  But I suspect the triggers are coming from inside.  I would seriously think about another, different trigger if problems are continuing.  Maybe it takes 6 months to get out of the system entirely, but personally I might suspect something different long before.  Just me, though.

For temporary relief of flare-ups caused by a known trigger (like your soy-goof) I can't think of anything that will stop that kind of reaction in its tracks aside from hydrocortisone and allergy meds.  Herb books have lots of suggestions for palliative relief of eczema.

So frustrating....... I wish you all the luck in the world!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

is it supposed to get worse??

thanks so much for the responses and support everyone!! i'm just wondering if it is possible for it to get worse before it gets better? her skin just more broken out, more itchy and spreading. she is even puking more now! i've been gluten, soy free for over a week and dairy free since thanksgiving. am i doing something wrong?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

can i clarify one more thing?? ( i apologize for seeming so needy on the thread)

when i took out only dairy her face cleared up in about a week, when i took everything else (soy, dairy, gluten) out she took a week and a half to clear, and then i think i accidentally had soy and that was about a week ago and no clearing up in sight!

is that normal? 

Old 12-12-2011, 04:31 PM

*What are you eating more of now that you are off those foods?*  When I first started eliminating for myself, I noticed I leaned heavily on dairy (mild intolerance--not allergy for me).  Still do, though I'm a little wiser now.

Yes, it can all be normal because the body--especially a child's body-- can react  slightly differently over the weeks and months.  But then again, you might need to start suspecting something else.  It's really just a guess in the end.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

*What are you eating more of now that you are off those foods?*  When I first started eliminating for myself, I noticed I leaned heavily on dairy (mild intolerance--not allergy for me).  Still do, though I'm a little wiser now.

yeahthat.gif

As for your daughter still reacting after a week, look for TRACE AMOUNTS and hidden soy (or the other allergens) in your diet.  

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Agreed that you need to be careful of even trace amounts.

It is entirely possible that she exhibit even MORE sensitivity/ies after an initial improvement after giving something up. It's as if the body says, "Oh, yes, that's much better. Thanks for taking xx out." and then, the body discovers, "Hey, crap, even little bits of xxx (or now, yy) make me feel awful."

Like if someone were punching you in the arm while someone else was simultaneously pinching your thigh. If the punching stopped, you'd feel a lot better. Then you'd notice the pinching (or punching somewhere else) and feel worse. Sorry, that's the best analogy I have.

My friend's daughter was sensitive to corn, and improved TREMENDOUSLY after taking out corn, but now, 2 months later, the child is sensitive to even the tiniest bit of corn-derrived dextrose or iodized salt. (whereas when she first removed it, it wasn't making a difference). We predict that the child will become sensitive to corn-fed beef in the near future.

SUBMIT

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... So I've really been thinking about this.

Some likely candidates could be nuts (tho I had been eating these all along, almonds, walnuts and pistachios mostly), eggplant, avocado. I know eh has an itchy throat when he has avocado.

This truly is all a guess! So frustrating. I've been soy, dairy and gluten free for about 2 weeks (and very careful about reading labels). Seeing good changes but could that also be due to the new lotion I've been using. Been putting mussels on her and that seems to really help. Her cheeks are almost baby soft. They were a coup,e days ago, anyways. Since then I've eaten eggplant, that's why I mentioned that. By now if all it was was soy dairy and or gluten would I see a clear face by now? Should I try reintroducing one or not yet?

Asusan, thanks for the analogy. 

Sisnt there some kind of allergy test for this kinda stuff? What if I rub soybeans or milk or wheat on her (or anything else for that matter). Would her skin react to it?.

Dot1 thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm happy with mussels because it really seems to be working, although not the most natural thing out there... Know what I mean? Better than steroids. Glad I've been able to avoid them so far

Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:

What if I rub soybeans or milk or wheat on her (or anything else for that matter). Would her skin react to it?.

Sometimes this does work (on my daughter it does), but if you don't get a reaction don't assume all is clear.  

Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sometimes this does work (on my daughter it does), but if you don't get a reaction don't assume all is clear.  

Does it also yield false positives? Is there any test our family doc or any other HCP can do?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, it can all be normal because the body--especially a child's body-- can react  slightly differently over the weeks and months.  But then again, you might need to start suspecting something else.  It's really just a guess in the end.

I forgot to mention that in addition to the eggplants, nuts, avocado I've also uped my brown rive as well

Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Does it also yield false positives? Is there any test our family doc or any other HCP can do?

I suppose it's possible.  But the gold standard for allergies is elimination, so if you get angry red, or especially hives or whelps then I might test that food if I have nothing else to go on.  Also watch the timing of a reaction.  I wouldn't time for longer than 5 minutes because longer than that, sensitive skin might just be irritated.  Smear some on to the inner wrist or arm and watch pretty closely.  A fast, red, angry reaction would tell me that I need to try out eliminating that food.  Direct contact with an allergen will have a stronger reaction that an allergen present in breast milk.

Quote:

I forgot to mention that in addition to the eggplants, nuts, avocado I've also uped my brown rive as well

Nuts.  Eliminate the nuts.  For an allergen in breastmilk, I would always suspect the Big Allergens first, because the proteins get into the milk with ease.  And while they are yummy, they are also fairly easy to to eliminate, or I should say, avoid (because *you* might have a hard time giving them up!)  Next guess would be rice.  Less likely BUT I am allergic to rice, and my daughter mildly (she's back on occasional rice now.)  So, it is not outside the realm of possibility.  If you can't take one more thing like that out, then try subbing quinoa.  (That's not allergen-free either, but if you are running short of options, you just have to substitute and watch what happens.)

Trying to figure out allergens in breast milk seems so hard, because you are eliminating for her, not necessarily yourself.  If you can't pin down the cause now, when you start introducing solids (hold off as long as you can easily with sensitive kids) you can see the reaction much, much more clearly.  That sounds terrible!  But sometimes while you are doing all you can, you just have to take the long view simply for the sake of sanity.  You *will* eventually figure out the triggers.

User Tag List