How to dose my DD with bitter wormwood powder? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

my DD's stool test found a few bacteria that her naturopathic doc wants to cure with herbal antibiotics.... it is a capsule with Wormwood, garlic, goldenseal etc etc and is bitter as can cause grown-ups to shudder.

He asked us to mix it in her food but she isnt having any of it....

She doesn't drink any liquids but water (no milk, soy, almond milk nothing)..... How can we feed her this capsule contents (powder)????

Any great ideas? my mom asked me to mix it with honey..but she doesnt like honey at all

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If she's under 1, she should't have honey.

I would try mixing it with as little water as possible to make it a liquid and the use a medicine syringe to squirt it in the back of her cheek.  Blow lightly in her face which makes them swallow.  

#3 of 6 Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

She is 2.5 yrs old. But hates honey.

I have since read that wormwood shouldnt be administered to toddlers less than 6 yrs old. This has capsules with 16.7 mg oil in each capsule (2 a day)..so I don't know if it is safe or not... Have contacted another naturopath for a second opinion and am awaiting input.

Does anyone know if it is OK?

#4 of 6 Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 AM

What about applesauce, chocolate pudding, smoothie? What we usually do is have one or two really icky spoonfuls followed by plain applesauce or something she really likes to wash it down. My dd is older, but I am usually quite frank with her about supplements and let her know that yes it does taste icky, but it is going help your body heal and get stronger.

I have taken wormwood before and it gave me crazy dreams. Very vivid dreams.  

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#5 of 6 Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

I wouldn't give wormwood or goldenseal to a child.  Wormwood can cause convulsions and renal failure.  http://www.drugs.com/npp/wormwood.html.  Goldenseal is considered safe for short term use by adults, but is considered unsafe for infants and young children.  http://nccam.nih.gov/health/goldenseal/

What problems are these bacteria causing?  If they're mild, I'd wait it out with a bland diet.  If the problems are serious, I would recommend seeking conventional medical treatment.  I don't really understand why this is in the allergy forum, since bacteria in stool are not an allergy symptom.  If this naturopath is suggesting that wormwood, garlic, and goldenseal will treat your dd's allergies, I personally would run far and fast.  Western allopathic medicine isn't perfect but it does have antibiotic treatments that are not neurotoxic when used as directed and that are palatable to children.  

#6 of 6 Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the answers. Another naturopath we saw also suggested we NOT give my DD wormwood and she gave a antibiotic suspension with mostly garlic that we are dosing my DD.

Stik I put this in the allergy forum because I frequent this forum and have seen many moms here dose their toddlers with probiotics, medicines, enzymes and such and I thought if anyone should know tricks to disguise medicines in various forms , it should be these moms.

I may have been misguided but that was my reasoning.

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page